bomb [Published]

TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
edited August 2011 in Man Cave
This guide is for informational purposes only and the information in it us purely hypothetical. Seriously guyz, don't do graffiti. There's all kinds of bad shit that can happen. You can get bit by a dog, beat up/robbed, chased by niggers/police/crazy junkies, or the worst thing of all, you might see some hobos having sex. TheWitchDoctor is not responsible if any of that stuff happens, ya dig?

For this guide bombing will refer to doing any type of graffiti or vandalism. Tagging, doing throw-ups, stickers, wheatpaste, stenciling, doing rollers. The rules for all that stuff are the same for the most part.

Where to bomb:
Graffiti etiquette dictates that there's only a couple places you shouldn't paint on. Houses, places of worship, schools, and people's cars are the big no-no's. Painting on those places will just piss people off or end up just getting the area heated. Don't think you're hardcore for tagging your school's bathroom.

Pretty much anything else is fair game. Secluded places are tons easier to hit but come with the downside that less people will see your art. Abandoned buildings, alleys, under bridges, places like that tend to stay pretty safe. But that doesn't mean let your guard down!

Places that will get you more views than Justin Beaver on youtube include places next to the highways, highway signs(dangerous!), Uhaul type box trucks, and places up high like water towers and bill boards. Government buildings get you bonus points.

Stay out of the train yards for now, I'll write a guide on that some other time.

When to bomb:
This is argued quite a bit. The general agreement is that anywhere from 2-4 A.M. is the best time as thats when the streets are most dead. The con to this is that you look suspicious as fuck walking around at those times. If the police see you and you're not drunk they're going to think you're a criminal, if some citizen looks out of their window and sees you walking around they might call the police on you.

Good days to bomb: Sunday through Wednesday.
Thursday is more of a risk as there will be more people at bars and stuff.
You shouldn't go on Fridays or Saturdays unless its a low profile spot our you're a fucking ninja. Cops will be out and driving around a lot more on those nights.

What to bring/not to bring and what to wear when bombing:
Obviously you need to bring your art supplies, but only as much as you'll need. Don't bring your whole marker collection, 1 or 2 max is all you need. And only enough paint to do what you plan on doing, don't haul around a bunch of extra stuff. Other things I would bring is a cellphone (on silent!), my I.D. maybe probably not, and usually a couple dollars to get a drink or something. That should be all you need.

Things to leave at home:
-Friends and girls. Yeah it might seem cool to show off but it just raises your risk of getting caught and/or snitched on.
-Weapons. They just get you into more trouble. Learn to fist fight or spray a nigga in the face.
-Your wallet/a lot of cash. You're just going to be pissed if you end up losing it.
-iPod. Don't take it. You need to be aware of whats going on around you.

Now on to what you should wear. A pair of shoes you can run in should go without question. Clothes wise, put yourself in the cops shoes and ask yourself what they would think if the saw you in whatever clothes you plan on wearing. All black with a black hoody and the hood up = criminal. Also don't wear anything you don't want to ruin.

Shopping bags vs. backpacks
There's a good bit of debate on this. Backpacks look more suspicious, but the cops can't go through them unless you're being arrested or give them permission. That's not to say they won't still do it, but it might be a little bit more peace of mind. Also, you might not want to ditch your $50 backpack. Shopping bags on the other hand you can ditch without caring or just throw them away with your empty cans when you're done.

Whichever you choose, keep all your supplies in there. The police can and most likely will pat you down. Caps or markers in your pockets looks really bad and might lead to an arrest.

Other tips and rules:
-Don't make unnecessary noise.

-Assume ever car is the police. If you see headlights duck or some shit. Don't keep painting. Also, any car that passes you and does a u-turn is most likely police.

-Freeze means run.

-Depending on where you live you might have a vandal squad. Vandal squads are undercover police that specialize in catching writers. I've heard of them driving around taxis and dressing up like hobos so be careful.

-Wear gloves. If the police see paint on your hands they're going to grill you.

This is a general guide. I might add more stuff later if I can think of anything.

Comments

• RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited July 2011
    Depending on the subject matter, and what colors you're wanting to use, Marking paint works really well and is slightly less likely to get people up your ass.
    This is the same paint contractors use to draw out forms for landscaping projects, what you see on streets prior to roadwork, etc.
    Essentially, it's made to fade away within a few weeks.
    Why is this potentially important?
    Anything you tag that is politically charged can fade into memory while a normal tag would remain.
    How many "Fuck Bush" bombs have you seen?
    Also, in the event a property owner catches you (and for whatever reason you can't get away) the simple fact that it's temporary can potentially save your ass from arrest. Yeah, you'll still catch hell, but being scolded by some asshole is better than fines/jail time.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited July 2011
    The problem with marking paint is that its meant to be pointed down at the ground. And I think if someone catches you painting their property they're not going to care whether the paint is only supposed to last a month or a year.
    edited July 2011
    You can actually find marking paint with the same tip as a standard spray can.
    Also, it's not a guarantee to get your ass out of trouble, but it can help depending on the person.

Edit: Also, if you try to do a "covert" bomb using a paper bag with a stencil in the bottom, standard marking paint tips do actually work quite well.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2011
    Does spray painting really require a guide? it's not that complicated: spray shit when people aren't around.

/thread
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited August 2011
    I wonder if tags done with marking paint would be around after 10 years... It would seem they would fade from concrete pretty quick... Well... I guess I need to find out about a certain overpass that no one sees, but might have something cool... not that it would really be cool in these times but...
    edited August 2011
    I wonder if tags done with marking paint would be around after 10 years... It would seem they would fade from concrete pretty quick... Well... I guess I need to find out about a certain overpass that no one sees, but might have something cool... not that it would really be cool in these times but...

It's entirely unlikely, which is the primary reason I suggest it. If you seriously want something to last a while, don't use marking paint. If you want to post a temporary message that'll only be around a few weeks, use it.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited August 2011
    It's entirely unlikely, which is the primary reason I suggest it. If you seriously want something to last a while, don't use marking paint. If you want to post a temporary message that'll only be around a few weeks, use it.
    Well if its free paint, ;) then by all means use it, but if you have good stuff, climb to the highest overpass you can find,tag it, and have a friend take pictures while you hang from it like a monkey!!! maybe I'll check in in my old "hangouts" one if these days...
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited August 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Does spray painting really require a guide? it's not that complicated: spray shit when people aren't around.

/thread

It really depends on the area you are in. Some areas have more graffiti activity and therefore have more people watching out for it. A lot of it is common sense but it seems that the general public doesn't have much of that nowadays.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    Taken From: Bad Ideas