Next Generation Consoles: The Battle for 3D?

da teachada teacha Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
You could've said that this time round, consoles pushed for a HD revolution; pushing the graphics of consoles to the max.

Given the rise of popularity in 3D recently, it wouldn't surprise me if it's going to be a major factor for the next generation of consoles; especially given Sony also being a TV manufacturer pushing out lines of 3DTVs.

Do you think it'd just be a gimmick if introduced into games? Or do you think the advent of 3D in gaming could really take things to the next level?

Rockets hurling towards you; zombies arms striking at your face; spiders crawling over you... It'd definitely increase the atmosphere of FPS/survival horror games imo.

Maybe we'll see motion sensor technology incporporated into headsets aswell? Lean your head to peak around corners in FPS games; dodge strikes in survival horror; aim/steer with your eyes...

I for one think it could be very promising if pulled off properly, though it's always a little scary seeing technology advance further towards virtual reality.

Comments

• Tommy LundTommy Lund Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    It would be cool, but the 3D technology will most likely (in the current form) make you blind in the long run. :angry:
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
  • mashlehashmashlehash Regular
    edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    614pxvirtualboysistem.png

That's all you need right there.
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    614pxvirtualboysistem.png

BEST...SYSTEM...EVER!

comic-book-guy.jpg
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited July 2010

I personally would like to see more 3D gaming...beyond the virtual boy.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    That's cool and all, but I don't see how you can hit the buttons while moving the thing with your hands. Humans need to grow another pair of arms.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't think 3D is really going to take off until someone figures out how to make a 3DTV without the need for glasses, like Nintendo has done with the 3DS.

Also another big thing is the lack of content. Sony says there's 20+ 3D games lined up, but what would really be awesome if 3D tv channels came out... imagine what the ads would be like :(

And just for fun...

181914_sBJ6xjapQUuLeqBnglXavRS8i.jpg
    Xbox 720 Concept - http://www.coroflot.com/public/individual_set.asp?individual_id=181914&set_id=357080&

181914_aJC0jCqdLONu7f6VPjOQLyexB.jpg
    Playstation 4 Concept - http://www.coroflot.com/public/individual_set.asp?individual_id=181914&set_id=357083&

181914_suziGGXHy8IHTJoo6Et0OXjis.jpg
    PSP2 Concept - http://www.coroflot.com/public/individual_set.asp?individual_id=181914&set_id=237966&

I remember seeing a Wii one somewhere too. It was a ridiculous concept that involved a thing that was covered in sensors and went over your head. These read your mind and let you control the game with your thoughts :facepalm:
  • abusernameabusername Regular
    edited July 2010
    3D? Not in my gaming world, thanks.

3D, Motion Sensitive Games(KINECT), All these silly perks add nothing to the actual games. Sure it's a nice way for gaming giants to make quick cash, but gamers never actually like these things.

Would ONE 3D video game be cool? Yeah sure it would add a bit of variety. Would ONE motion sensitive game be okay? Yeah sure why not.

But should you base an entire system off either? NO! Gaming should(and will) continue down the track it has now. Sure they will try to deviate from time to time with things like KINECT and 3d Gimmicks but in the long run the only thing people will buy consistently are games like we have them now.

I just see the next gen consoles (When they finally come out) being very, very similar.. the only difference will be is I estimate the games to be much bigger and more detailed because things like Blu-ray will be around for all the consoles, so developers can actually use it to it's full capacity. So more detail, way bigger games and better graphics.. but that's all I see happening.

I think game developers are going to start going downloadable content crazy, basically releasing hundreds of dollars worth of content for a game AFTER it has been released, just add ons and such, basically going on forever, always adding more to the game, always getting them more money.
    edited July 2010
    abusername wrote: »
    I think game developers are going to start going downloadable content crazy, basically releasing hundreds of dollars worth of content for a game AFTER it has been released, just add ons and such, basically going on forever, always adding more to the game, always getting them more money.

I hope not, I like to buy my games second hand :(

I'd much rather see more games that promote user generated content like LittleBigPlanet and ModNation Racers does. Imagine a FPS where you can make your own maps or play other peoples? Ideas like that are what can give a game almost unlimited amount of replayability, all the while still being free ;)
  • BigBroBigBro Regular
    edited July 2010
    3D Gaming is already here. See: Avatar for the 360.
    Don't know if it will catch on, thought. It seems more like a gimmick than anything else - it won't make or break the gameplay (which is the most important aspect) and not everyone will buy a 3D tv.
    I certainly won't. Unless 3D tv takes off and all tv stations support 3D properly and 3D tvs are more mass produced and affordable, I'm not even going to bother thinking about it. My money is better elsewhere.
    edited July 2010
    Just found this. Its and iPad projector that renders 3D objects for the naked eye. I wonder if hologram tech like this is going to start coming out too?

[VIMEO]13389710[/VIMEO]