CP2P Protocol Launched by Limewire, Better Security and Anonymity for Users

DfgDfg Admin
edited August 2011 in Spurious Generalities
In a world full of watchful eyes you don't really get many protocols that actually try to hide your information. Limewire after doing a review of their traffic and client usage actually implemented a custom protocol which actually acts as a layer on top of P2P. Basically it masks your information like IP addresses and uses a random key and then it connects with clients using other keys. All the key information is maintained by a central server which is highly encrypted and flushes the database whenever the user disconnects from the network. It's like a torrent tracker but with more security.

The protocol is active in the beta builds on Limewire. You can enable CP2P via the options. According to our beta testers it seems the CP2P was created to make it harder for the Feds to find CP uploaders. According to Limewire search stats, CP, pthc and other groups get a high volume of hits and it's not a secret that LimeWire has been uses for distribution of rated and restricted content.

By implementing CP2P which is looked closely CP2P actually reveals everything about this new feature.

Comments

• LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2011
    Limewire is dead isn't it? What's the new P2P program to get all the CP'z?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    LSA King wrote: »
    Limewire is dead isn't it? What's the new P2P program to get all the CP'z?

It's Limewire with CP2P, it's supposed to ahem make things easier. Get it!
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited August 2011
    Sounds like a trap to me I mean really? cp2p?come on this has to be bullshit.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    angryonion wrote: »
    Sounds like a trap to me I mean really? cp2p?come on this has to be bullshit.

Well, you can download LimeWire and see it for yourself. It really works well and the searches are pretty precise.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited August 2011
    Ok I'll do just for you.and I'll report back.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited August 2011
    Child pron to peer LOL
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2011
    For all of you who are unable to process textual tones: Dfg is joking.

Also any protocol woud require an abstraction layer such as Tor. This already exhists in some torrent clients.

On a side note: doesn anyone know of a P2P DNS service? One that doesn't rely on a server?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    Box wrote: »
    Child pron to peer LOL

Finally someone gets it :D
    For all of you who are unable to process textual tones: Dfg is joking.

Also any protocol woud require an abstraction layer such as Tor. This already exhists in some torrent clients.

On a side note: doesn anyone know of a P2P DNS service? One that doesn't rely on a server?

Yes, I was. Dunno about a P2P DNS.