My girlfriend sleeps on a marble slab.

edited September 2011 in Life
Been living with my GF for a couple of weeks now, the apartment is awesome, things are going well, everything is storybook, except for one thing. I traded control of the kitchen, for control of the bedroom, and choice of bed. I did not think this was going to be an issue, I figured it was better to have control of the space I use most, and have the strongest opinions about. For her to concede that space to me, I had to give her the bedroom. No problems, what is the worst she could do, put up kitten posters?

In the spectrum of beds, there is soft, medium, firm, very firm, ultra firm, Klingon, and marble slab. I have spent the night in jail, and that is what I would compare it to. I have about the same amount of space, and there is no give whatsoever in the mattress. I have gotten a concession for choice of couch from her, but man, that bed is killing me! I can't sleep for more than 3 hours at a stretch, I have actually slept on the living room floor a few times because at least I can thrash around and not worry about waking her up. It's great for sex, this is true, it hits a nice springback when I'm doing the 'Full Court Press' and really pounding, but that's 12 minutes, the rest of the time I spend in that be is fucking torture.

I am digging the domestic life, it suits my goals and my mindset right now, and I'm thinking about marrying this bitch who sleeps on concrete, so I have to figure a way around this. At least I don't have to worry about her when we go camping, if she doesn't like the ground mat, she can go somewhere more to her liking, like the jagged rocks beside a creek.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ITT; Things I had to deal with when I moved in with my girlfriend/boyfriend.

C/O
"greeen,clean,mean"

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2011
    Try putting a couple of blankets on your side. Under you.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited September 2011
    Once you upgrade go for one of those half and half custom jobs, slightly most costly but worth it in the long run.

When me and the missus first set up house we just went for low budget stuff, saving money and planning to upgrade as we went.
    The matress was ok to start with, but after a few years it was fucked, springs starting to poke through in places (one right in the arse crack) and support on the sides had gone, When I hopped into bed quite often I would be slipping out again right away.

Now we had upgraded it we went for something decent, nice and solid with lots of support and padding, and it's one of those ones that don't need turning. The best part was that it was over $200 off the RRP.
  • edited September 2011
    Have you tried sleeping on your front? I find that if I'm on the floor or a shitty bed, I'll sleep on my front and possibly with something nice a squishy underneath me (such as a blanket, or my ballsack). This doesn't strain your neck either, as it's not at a messed up angle.
  • edited September 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Have you tried sleeping on your front? I find that if I'm on the floor or a shitty bed, I'll sleep on my front and possibly with something nice a squishy underneath me (such as a blanket, or my ballsack). This doesn't strain your neck either, as it's not at a messed up angle.

Odd that you should mention sleeping on my front, I have started doing this again, on softer mattresses it made my lower back hurt, but on the marble slab it's not bad. Ah well, a hard bed, good sex, a challenging job, a lack of hard narcotics, life is better, more sustainable, and somewhat bland, I think I might take up some light crime.

C/O
    "owww, my thorax"
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, sleeping on my front is the only way I sleep now. You can practically sleep anywhere.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited September 2011
    I hate sleeping on my front, I alllways feel like I'm going to choke on the pillow.
    And it hurts when you get a hard on.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited September 2011
    Make it hot in the club CO
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Actually if you don't like her sleeping on a marble slab, then come at her with a knife. Should make her have a vivid image of a morgue ;)
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited September 2011
    Two options:

1) Drink ridiculous amounts every night. You won't care where you sleep

2) Buy a small inflatable sleeping mat from a camping store.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited September 2011
    Sleep on top of your girlfriend.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited September 2011
    Odd that you should mention sleeping on my front, I have started doing this again, on softer mattresses it made my lower back hurt, but on the marble slab it's not bad. Ah well, a hard bed, good sex, a challenging job, a lack of hard narcotics, life is better, more sustainable, and somewhat bland, I think I might take up some light crime.

C/O
    "owww, my thorax"
    I do the same on any hard surface I'm sleeping on. It works.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    CU, do you think she'd let you put one of those egg carton foam pads under your side of the bed? That would help quite a bit.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited September 2011
    Just try bunding loads of sheets underneath you? The only problem is it might get a bit toasty.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited September 2011
    Sleep on top of her. She'll soon get the message and get you a new bed.
  • 4206942069 Regular
    edited September 2011
    mattress topper, goes atop a mattress, cut it in half with a battle axe
    memory foam patent expired, bamf
    http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/memory-foam-toppers.html
  • edited September 2011
    Burn wrote: »
    Two options:

1) Drink ridiculous amounts every night. You won't care where you sleep

2) Buy a small inflatable sleeping mat from a camping store.

LOL, fuckin' ell. I actually did both of these, I went on a 5 day tear where I was either drunk enough to sleep, or so tired the bed didn't bug me, I gave it up because my work was suffering. So I bought an inflatable mattress and threw it in the spare room, and for a couple of nights I managed to get some good snooze time. I am back on the marble slab again now though, I am in this for the long game, so a heaping bowl of "shut up and get used to it" would seem to be the solution until a better one comes along.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    Like I said, get a Sleep Number Bed.