A thought. No poetry. Just a passing blip in my conciousness.

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited September 2011 in Life
The Temple of the Screaming Electron is a library.
A place where one can seek refuge and educate themselves on everything from Society to Technology and even the Supernatural as well as anything inbetween. A collection of the submissions placed here by those who have come up with them.

These sumbissions are a timeless piece of education, much like a seed, archived here for the future generations - hoping one day that the seed will take root and possibly blossom in the most unpromising of places.

The meaning of &ToTSE has changed over the years, yes. But the nature of Humankind has not. If there is anything we should be working towards collectively, it's teaching the future generations and showing that not all ancestors were as ignorant as those within easy grasp say on a Television or other parts of the Internet.
We may not make great books or novels, but we sure can make our own library.
Every word, every guide written here is a record of the thoughts, emotions, experiences and decisions of the person behind the username. One day people will look back and see that they can read the minds of the people who wrote them, much like a personal tutor guiding them through a difficult patch in life, or educating them on an area of technology now almost defunct as time passes on.
It's magical.

I just hope that for our sake, even within a lifetime, that we can all pull together and make some positive contribution in our time here to positively influence someone or something which may come across this temple, in the darkened but enlightened corner of the Internet.

I thank you. And I hope for the best.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    An excellent thought my friend. When Jeff Hunter first started Totse as a dial up BBS he spoke of freedom of speech. He envisioned a place where others could discuss (in an intelligent fashion) topics that were taboo or shunned by lamestream society. Unfortunately a generation came along that misunderstood that freedom of speech as a license to say whatever they wanted, wherever they wanted, and just because they wanted regardless of topic being discussed.

This is not what freedom of speech on Totse was about nor should it be now. The freedom of speech that was enjoyed at that time was the freedom to discuss any subject that users desired. Subjects that were shunned or prohibited from discussion elsewhere. The key word here is discuss.

If a group of friends were sitting in a bar talking about various methods of making "energetics" from common household items and another person sat down at there table and began to interject comments about how big there dick was or the fact that they thought one of the people involved in the discussion was a faggot he would e asked to leave the table at best and most likely be knocked flat on his ass if he continued this behavior.

In order for this library you envision to take root and begin to flourish the garden which that seed is planted in must be maintained and respect by all who enter. The weeds that would choke the thoughts of others with insipid or banal comments must be pulled from this garden on a regular basis else they will choke the life out of this garden.

With great freedom comes great responsibility. The freedom of speech that Totse affords it's users does not grant the right to say whatever one wants wherever desired without regard to the discussion at hand. It does not grant the right to troll and flame at will in any discussion stumbled across simply because one does not like a given user in that thread. The user who does not understand this or refuses to accept the responsibility that comes with the freedom to discuss any topic desired is a weed in the garden you would plant your seeds in.

There are any here who understand that but there is a minority that would rather tear through the cultivations planted by others like a gopher eating at the underbelly of that garden rather than to help in that cultivations of others with intelligent on topic efforts of their own.

These pest must be either trained to be a useful addition to our collective efforts or exterminated much like one would do with an insect that is eating the leaves of young vegetables that have yet to bear fruit. For if those leaves are too badly damaged before those plants can mature they will never attract enough light (new productive users) to supply adequate nutrition required to bear fruit and provide a bountiful harvest for those who would eat from this tree of knowledge.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    And so was the Gospel of &ToTSE.
    Very true, and very humbling post there TDR. The anecdotes and imagery provoke a scene that I hope many can envision, and you have put it in such a way that there is no misunderstanding.
    &T is not about Fascism, although Jeff was seen as a "faceless, benevolent Dictator" by some, but it worked. With free speech comes responsibility, because it's not a euphamism for Anarchy.

Like TDR said, if you were at a bar, and in my case, discussing how to Socially Engineer a place such as a University or person in Authority, and somebody came along with pointless, non-constructive interjections, that indivual or group would be asked to leave. &T is only in its infancy here, and we must be careful not to fuck it up, so it can grow into a person, or library, we can all be proud of.

A great post, TDR. There were things missing from mine that I forgot to add in. You just filled those gaps in and added even more :thumbsup:
    The magic stars at 3 minutes into this video, but it's all amazing.