Commercial Space Travel Soon To Be Reality!

Caramello KoalaCaramello Koala Acolyte
edited September 2011 in Spurious Generalities
http://endofthegame.net/2011/09/21/spacetravel/ Check it out! Virgin 'Galactic' have unveiled their new commercial space ship that will take passengers to space!

Comments

• DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    It will be awesome once it becomes affordable, but at the moment it is still too expensive.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Carl Sagan was showing some awesome designs for space travel (as fast as the speed of light). More money needs to be invested in space. It's a shame.
  • Caramello KoalaCaramello Koala Acolyte
    edited September 2011
    I agree, it really is a shame that space isn't a priority, hopefully this changes in the near future. This is a promising sign that it will.
    edited September 2011
    I agree, it really is a shame that space isn't a priority, hopefully this changes in the near future. This is a promising sign that it will.

Agreed. Once more private company's get started up, the better things will become. We should be exploring more rather than fucking around with pointless bullshit like we are at the moment.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    There was never a monopoly on space travel. Actually getting to space has always been expensive as all hell (until now), which is why governments are the ones sending people to the moon and not virgin atlantic.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    Well it is a cinch at my age I will never ride into space at those prices. Shame really because sex in zero gravity would rock.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited September 2011
    I'll only be excited when we can figure out a way to float through th black space in ample time. I don't have 2.5 light years to wait to get to the next solar system :\
    edited September 2011
    skunk wrote: »
    governments are the ones sending people to the moon

They haven't done that since the late 60's, early 70's. They are more interested in fucking around with the ISS and other bullshit rather than exploring further afield. Virgin is exploring different propulsion technology rather than the expensive rocket tech that NASA and the likes are using which will bring prices down significantly.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    If we were allowed to use nuclear fission reactors in space (there is a blanket ban on nuclear explosions in space - lol go tell the sun to stop being so naughty) then we would be going places.

Good shit starts at 3:00

<3