Help Fight Censorship

PacoPaco me administrator
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Off To The Races: Help Find 10,000 Censorship Opponents In 24hrs

We're off to the races. As they try to protect their profits by censoring the Internet, Disney, Warner Bros, and the gang have launched a front group called "Creative America." They just announced that 10,000 people have signed up over the last three months.

Well, more than 400,000 Demand Progress members have spoken out against the Internet Blacklist Bill, which would give the government new powers to shut down sites that are accused of copyright infringement. That's so many people that these same industry groups accused us of collecting fake sign-ups!

http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/creative_america/?source=fb

Also, I'm really sorry if this is in the wrong section, this seemed like a good place.

Comments

• PacoPaco me administrator
    edited October 2011
    Also you might like to read this.
    Stop The Internet Blacklist Bill

By David Segal and Patrick Ruffini

We are Tea Partiers and bleeding-heart liberals, we are artists and investment bankers, we represent the left and the right, and we support Senator Wyden as he comes forward, yet again, as a stalwart champion for First Amendment rights, innovation and digital security.

The problem at hand is a bill called the "Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act" (PROTECT IP) and it aims to permanently change our digital landscape – that's why we're calling it what it is: The Internet Blacklist Bill.

Imagine you're the successful owner of a heavily trafficked website. Your income and that of those with whom you work depends entirely on the advertising revenue and payments provided by visitors to your site. One day, without warning, your site no longer appears at its domain, your advertisers have backed out, and you can't even find your site on Google. You've been disappeared – blacklisted by new regulations set by Congress in the PROTECT IP Act.

If passed, PROTECT IP would give the government dramatic new powers to target websites dedicated to the illegal distribution of copyrighted content. Violating sites would have their domain disabled in DNS servers (the servers that match the domain name with the numerical IP address and make sure you go to the websites you want to), and all third party sites, including search engines, would be required to remove the site from their registries and disable all links to the domain in question.

Even worse, PROTECT IP also includes a "private right of action" that would allow rights holders to obtain a temporary restraining order against a domain in civil court. Instead, big content providers like the RIAA can target websites at their whim, urging courts to shut down anyone they accuse of violating U.S. copyright law.

The entities accused of infringement wouldn't even get their day in court until after they've been shut down – they could appeal to the courts for relief only after the fact.

Big interest groups in favor of PROTECT IP have recently pushed the idea that to be against this bill is to handicap aspiring artists and to be in opposition to a fair marketplace. We vehemently disagree. Regulations stipulated in PROTECT IP would cause tremendous damage to the infrastructure and security of the Internet and ultimately undermine the millions of entrepreneurs, businesses and artists who depend on a free, uninterrupted communications platform.

Already, venture capitalists, engineers, and entrepreneurs (including Google CEO Eric Schmidt) have penned letters and petitions against PROTECT IP, citing the corrosive effect it would have on digital security and innovation. Human rights activists are terrified that PROTECT IP will provide comfort to totalitarian regimes that seek ever more control over Internet users in their own countries. More that 400,000 Americans have urged their lawmakers to oppose the bill. But ultimately, we are depending on lawmakers, like Sen. Wyden to make the final decisions and defend our rights.

David Segal is Executive Director of the left-leaning Demand Progress and Patrick Ruffini is Executive Director of the right-leaning Don't Censor the Net, which together have generated more than 400,000 anti-PIPA contacts to Congress.

http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/pipa_oped/
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    It is an inevitability of the Internet, but as the Internet reaches worldwide, I can only hope and pray that people have the strength to fight these controls. It's a bunch of shit that you can't even express yourself freely online (ok with some exceptions with "terrorism" but even that's dubious). If my ISP ever blocked things I'd resort to continuing to use TOR but then reach desperation and go out of my way to get an ISP, no matter the speeds, just to access info.

Protect IP seems a good idea in the fact that yes, it helps artists and film makers, but in all honesty, I doubt they are suffering that much. I mean, with a pinch of salt, take a look at this.
    qwvn4QCQ9NW6u9dIZXeOreIBkSmHQEWTiChZ.gif
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Great thread Paco. If you don't mind though I would like to move it to N&P. Let me know...
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited October 2011
    Great thread Paco. If you don't mind though I would like to move it to N&P. Let me know...

That's fine with me.