Confidence in the new site.

chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
edited January 2012 in Spurious Generalities
To show the confidence I have in the way things are heading, I showed the site to a good customer of mine today. He is quite a bit older than me, is a Town councillor, well educated and very articulate. He seemed genuinely interested and bookmarked the site to look at properly later. I don't know if he will end up joining us, but for me to introduce someone like this to the site is a huge step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2011
    That's awesome :) *sniff sniff*
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    Out with the old in with the new.
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited December 2011
    Didn't think it was worth making a new topic over so I'll just post this here. I applaud the new direction you guys are taking the site and I think you can hit a userbase and have a good, active community if you play your cards right. That said, I'll be bowing out at this point. The appeal of an &T site for me has always been the laid back nature of discussing gray areas where most websites shun that. However it's also been an observation that websites that allow this tend to also drag in less intelligent users so it may be impossible to allow both illegal discussion and keep a productive nature when so many people who just think it's "cool" stop by to try to carve an e-name for themselves. So it's understandable that you want to cut that out completely. Good luck.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited December 2011
    ^^ Same here, but I think I'll stick around and see how things turn out. I'm here so little anyway that it probably wouldn't have much of an impact anyway.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2011
    Psychlonic wrote: »
    Didn't think it was worth making a new topic over so I'll just post this here. I applaud the new direction you guys are taking the site and I think you can hit a userbase and have a good, active community if you play your cards right. That said, I'll be bowing out at this point. The appeal of an &T site for me has always been the laid back nature of discussing gray areas where most websites shun that. However it's also been an observation that websites that allow this tend to also drag in less intelligent users so it may be impossible to allow both illegal discussion and keep a productive nature when so many people who just think it's "cool" stop by to try to carve an e-name for themselves. So it's understandable that you want to cut that out completely. Good luck.
    ^^ Same here, but I think I'll stick around and see how things turn out. I'm here so little anyway that it probably wouldn't have much of an impact anyway.

Check your PM's. Anyone, else worried about the grey areas should PM me directly.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited December 2011
    Id be sorry to see you go Psychlonic :(

I do believe that we can have both a laid back nature and intelligent discussion, and I think in the past progress has always been hindered because of lax rules which allowed threads to be dragged of course and also members within the community that were allowed to much power and influence so they did what they pleased. I reckon with a better set of rules, and the fact that we have better mods will make a difference :) I mean, remember Spectral and DaGaru? :facepalm:
    edited December 2011
    It is important for everyone to understand that certain topics of discussion can still take place but they must be in restricted members (regulars) area and off limits to the Google Adsense Spider.
  • ModzillaModzilla New Arrival
    edited January 2012
    As soon as I registered here about 2/3 weeks ago I thought about it already being a "cleaner" version of &T, and as such would never be anything like &T - but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing..

I have my own website which has book-reviews, a few scientific myth debunked, random shit from my life and a lot of my photography - and I guess the way this site is going I'd actually feel comfortable sharing that with the forums and lowering my defenses there a bit. Admittedly, I blog about computer security and personal security at times, and have used my website for work - but it's a step in that direction which makes me feel pretty secure.

I used to browse BB quite a lot at &T and whilst generally it was one of the more intelligent boards, a lot of organic chemistry discussion and some physics (all applied to ballistics and energetic materials obviously) it was also the one that would attract more than it's fair share of kewls. (Along with of course, W&C, BI, HB...)

So the idea of being able to discuss things in a relaxed, yet intelligent way, seems like my ideal kinda forum.
    edited January 2012
    That is all we are really trying to be minus the trolls and asshats that have plagued &T and it's splinter communities for too long.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Modzilla wrote: »
    As soon as I registered here about 2/3 weeks ago I thought about it already being a "cleaner" version of &T, and as such would never be anything like &T - but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing..

I have my own website which has book-reviews, a few scientific myth debunked, random shit from my life and a lot of my photography - and I guess the way this site is going I'd actually feel comfortable sharing that with the forums and lowering my defenses there a bit. Admittedly, I blog about computer security and personal security at times, and have used my website for work - but it's a step in that direction which makes me feel pretty secure.

I used to browse BB quite a lot at &T and whilst generally it was one of the more intelligent boards, a lot of organic chemistry discussion and some physics (all applied to ballistics and energetic materials obviously) it was also the one that would attract more than it's fair share of kewls. (Along with of course, W&C, BI, HB...)

So the idea of being able to discuss things in a relaxed, yet intelligent way, seems like my ideal kinda forum.

Glad to hear it. Being able to discuss things in a mature way is something that's been lost as of late online. Instead it's more egotistical and self-centred, revolving around Social Networking.
    I'm glad to have you here, personally. After the fuss at the start of your start, it's good you stuck with us, and I'm glad to looking forward to chatting and sharing knowledge from the get-go :)