Holy shit, what a small world!

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited February 2012 in Spurious Generalities
So after attending my first lecture this semester (yay!) as I was well and confident enough to, I went to speak to my Tutor afterwards to keep him up to speed. A young Italian guy who I often have a smoke with and talk about music/local gigs as well.

After telling him all that had happened this past week explaining my absence and what the future holds, I was getting ready to leave his office but he asked me if I had any luck finding books for my dissertation as many Students have done around 3,000 words of notes whereas I'm almost done - i just have to consolidate it all. I said "well, more are always welcome" and he showed me a site that "rogue" lecturers upload books to like a torrent tracker.
What caught my eye was that it was a .onion url, and so I said "oh, you use the onion router?"

"Oh TOR? Of course" he replied
"Sweet", I was starting to admire him some more. After he sent me some ebooks to my personal email address, he asked me how Amsterdam was and enquired about what strains of Cannabis/Hash I found best for my Crohn's.
It was then soon after this, which I was in some shock about that he asked what my views on Anonymous were. I said I don't get involved with it, as I am "part of another site which I feel is just as good-a force. Not well known about, but were once at war with Fourchan (note not the number)"

"Oh really?" he replied "Well I was an avid fan of a site but it got shut down. It was a bit like anonymous I guess when they had the militia and invasion parts and as there was no real leader, rather a faceless administrator, but that was back in the 1990s. Never signed up but it was a great read full of articles and the like. Some ranging from bomb making, but others with healthy discussion" he said

"Now this is a shot in the dark" I hesitated, "But did it have the word Electron in it?"

"Holy shi-, you know?"
"Of course, ToTSE right?"
"Yeah!"

Turns out my personal Tutor is a fucking ToTSEan who enjoys a good smoke/odd bit of opium and is a genuine nice bloke. We discussed who Jeff Hunter could be, the end of the .com domain and how we used the site - as I said I met a few users off it and it has saved my life with the things I've learnt from it. Have yet to tell him about the new domain etc, but I'm still in awe and shock.

Just thought I'd put that out there. A 10 minute chat about my absenteeism turned into an hour of hacking and political discussion with that bombshell at the end, with the offer of a drink and gig this weekend.
Win!

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2012
    That is an amazing example of how life moves in overlapping circles like the ripples we create as we cast our stones on the surface of times water.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    It is! I'm just in shock. I don't talk about my online life but we got chatting about old 56k internet, his Commodore 64/Masters Essay on video games and it got onto online bits.
    Can't wait to meet up with him in a non-suit or Academic environment. There are times where I feel fate does exist. Today is one of those days.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2012
    This is freaking amazing. Would love to meet him.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited January 2012
    Hahaha, find out his old username.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2012
    It's a trap!
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2012
    ^This. It is really me, pretending to be Spectral, pretending to be this guy you met, pretending to be and old Totse lurker so I can get your ass voice print after your surgery in case it changes from the fart sounds the FBI currently has on file for you.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited January 2012
    His name isn't Geoff is it?
    edited January 2012
    Haha no Chippy, it's rather exotic due to his Country of birth. And yeah Dfg it is pretty awesome. Really safe bloke who struck me as the sort but I had to dig a bit deeper. So glad I did as it's great to have a link with your lecturers and have them know where you are coming from. Without fucking them, of course.
    Although on second thoughts, maybe it is Rodent. I mean, his voice went a bit husky and canadian every so often with the odd "eh" thrown in there, plus he insisted on recording me :eek:

Would be funny as fuck if I found out he was registered, and that he was like, Hab or someone.
    Highly unlikely but as I find out more I'll keep you posted. I like rebellious Lecturers who are aware of TOR/Torrents (and he uses Dropbox in lectures), and the fact he is my Personal Tutor as well.
  • JackedJacked Regular
    edited January 2012
    Fuk 3000 word notes, an empty book some opiates, 5g bud and a URL to here and u get an A+ . Oh and don't forget the Raid!
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Oh wow thats awesome :D lol Can't wait to find out what his username was.
    edited January 2012
    He used to lurk, not post apparently, but I'm seeing him tomorrow.
    edited January 2012
    Got an email from him and turns out he's a fan of George Carlin, Bill Hicks and Jon LaJoie. Checking out some secret Academic Pirate sites now which are invite only and will see where I can go with it.

Oh and I quote:

(on George Carlin) - "I even referenced him once in class. At some point in one of his shows he says 'how about we lighten things up by talking about abortion?'; I started my lecture on Genocide by saying 'How about we lighten things up by talking about genocide in general?'. I need to do these things otherwise I get bored with myself..."

What a lad.
  • easy-eeasy-e Acolyte
    edited February 2012
    It's a trap!
    ^this...everyone was on &T