Old people don't like FB

chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
edited February 2012 in Spurious Generalities
So earlier this evening my daughter asks "is Nana's computer bust". "Dunno" says I, "Why do you ask". "She's not been on facebook for ages and hasn't replied to any messages". So being the dutiful son, I rang up to ask what was wrong. It seems my mother has given up on FB as it's too depressing. Apparently over the last six months her friends list has dropped from 86 friends to just over 60. Worried that she had done something daft and she was losing friends over it, I asked if she knew the reason why she was losing so many friends. She replied "various reasons, cancer, heart attack, pneumonia, but mainly old age I think"
She found it depressing that her friends list was a constant reminder of how many friends she had lost.
Not the answer I was expecting, and I was at a loss for a response.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2012
    Man I wasn't expecting even, just wow.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2012
    I am older and I don't use FB because if I have something to say to you I will call you and say it.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited February 2012
    ^^ Most people dont want to except the fact that I really dont have anything to say to them,and if I did they probably wouldn't like it.
    I really dont get face book.From what I see it is just an outlet for petty bullshit between family members and shitty friends.
  • battster222battster222 Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2012
    I basically use it to find old friends, found a couple of friends from my childhood and it was good keeping in touch.
  • easy-eeasy-e Acolyte
    edited February 2012
    The "ladies auxilary" from the local tavern all play farmville and those other villes. All of the old guys I know still have juno e-mail addresses from the 90's and hate "the facebook".

It is a good way to keep in touch. Everyone I graduated with is now all over the world and it's good to keep track of events my customers are hosting locally.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2012
    That is pretty sobering, Chippy. First thing I read as well as I just got up.
    Facebook is fickle. Like Beaver said - if you wanna say something, say it. Unless you are separated by the World, then there are other methods.
  • D7D7 Regular
    edited February 2012
    I have some relatives that has passed away and used to spend some time in facebook everyday
    They don't know how to turn off the profile so sometimes people post in the wall asking how he is not knowing that the he already pass away
    It's kinda sad