Cheating Online Poker

PacoPaco me administrator
edited February 2012 in Man Cave
WARNING: Just like everything else posted in BI (... err is it HoF&C? HFC? We need to think of something.) this thread is all 100% hypothetical and fictional.

So lets say someone were to come up with some sort of, lets call it a 'hack', that allowed them to see the other hands of the people he is playing against in online poker. Something as simple as that might be pretty undetectable, would it not? So if someone were to come up with some software to pull this off, one would be in a position to make quite a bit of money. Which brings me to my next point, the money.

Taking money like that would have to end with someone catching on at some point, so the money would have to be secured pretty quickly and safely. Also, a fake identity would probably come in handy.

I might turn this idea into a story/movie type deal.

Anyway, I need to go pack, I'm heading to Rhode Island for the weekend.

Feel free to discuss so I have something to read when I get back.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2012
    I would have to be a server side hack.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2012
    Methods:
    A) Taking control of the user system: In this technique you create a bot net and then screen their history and see if they have active sessions to any poker websites. Once you have narrowed down the group, you can start spying on them. Note their timings and see how much money they're spending. Target the big rollers who can handle a loss and still won't suspect anything. Setup the stage and join in the game, have a live screen feedback or screenshots send to you at random intervals. Considering he has his browser window open while playing the game you would be able to see his cards but this technique isn't that powerful because you're just targeting one guy and plus it's a hit or miss. It's better to just take his accounts and send money to yourself.
    B) Server Side Hack: Considering how many of the websites aren't that secured, a dedicated hacker can exploit one of these websites, but I don't think it will be total control job, a hacker might be able to exploit the server or the custom code and inject different values into the game or he could try SQL injection. In the end he might be able to transfer funds without even playing the game but again it's quite possible that while he is in the game session, he might be able to monitor the card status of the players.

Again, this is just an idea, there might be other ways to go about this as well.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited February 2012
    I only have a passing knowledge on how online and offline poker works. I've heard someone suggest that if a bunch of friends join a room and exchange phone numbers (they each share their cards and work together), they can hustle a victim.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2012
    Teamspeak poker hustle anyone?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2012
    Teamspeak poker hustle anyone?

I suck at play poker but it would be fun to give this a shot.