We had more fun back then

chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
edited March 2012 in Spurious Generalities
Health and safety?
Spoilsports more like!

xlarge_5a983d4853631f944726f0f0a4ca568f.jpg
Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab Lets You Play Dr. Manhattan for Radioactive Funsies
They don't make toys like this anymore: why have an E-Z Bake Oven when I can have a U-238 Atomic Energy Lab and create my own Manhattan project in the backyard? (BAM! Emeril said it.)

The Atomic Energy Lab set was only available from 1951 to 1952 and sold for a whopping $50 (that's without inflation).

The set came with four types of uranium ore, a beta-alpha source (Pb-210), a pure beta source (Ru-106), a gamma source (Zn-65?), a spinthariscope, a cloud chamber with its own short-lived alpha source (Po-210), an electroscope, a geiger counter, a manual, a comic book (Dagwood Splits the Atom) and a government manual "Prospecting for Uranium."

Today, a set of one of these could go for over $5,000 due to the limited quantities that was produced. Maybe the set was produced in limited quantities because dying from radiation at the age of eight wasn't so fun either.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    You mean to say that the materials used in that product were real?
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2012
    Fuck me! :eek: $50, in the early 50s?....Fucking rich retro kids. I just wanna pound their heads in. :mad:
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited March 2012
    Fucking sweet. I want one.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2012
    Chemistry sets were big in the 60's and 70's. I fondly remember mixing random chemicals together into caustic solutions and sticking live bugs in it.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited March 2012
    Yeah I have fond memories of chemistry sets. Burning holes in carpets, staining table tops and ruining cutlery and melting the u bend in the sink with stuff I'd poured away.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited March 2012
    I had baking soda and vinegar -.-
    edited March 2012
    ^^^ Yeah, we had more fun back then LOL

ETA. Question for Rodent. Would you give a chemistry set a-la 60's to your grand kids nowadays?

(I would, like a shot)
    edited March 2012
    Darwinism mate, if the child kills itself they have done humanity a favour!

go for it :D
    edited March 2012
    wow you can even burn stuff! society wonders why the youth of today are so useless. Well i guess thats what happens when your given no response ability!
    edited March 2012
    Possibly kids had more sense back then. No one was worried about kids poisoning themselves. Indeed if any kid was killed or injured I'm sure they would have been forced to stop selling them. We live in a nanny state nowadays. Kids are wrapped in cotton wool far too much. If I had injured myself with a toy, my father would more or less call me an idiot, and say well you won't do that with it again will you, and I didn't. Nowadays the reaction is to get the toy banned before some other kid can learn the concequences of being an idiot.
    edited March 2012
    chippy wrote: »
    ^^^ Yeah, we had more fun back then LOL

ETA. Question for Rodent. Would you give a chemistry set a-la 60's to your grand kids nowadays?

(I would, like a shot)

Of course I would, just to fuck with my kids if nothing else.
  • edited March 2012
    And this is why I always feel like I've missed out on a lot of cool shit, just by being born too late :( I'd give this to my kids if they were old enough to be responsible with it (ie not drink the acid, or do something stupid with it). I've spilled acid on my hands before and I can tell you now, I'd never do it again!
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    Well, I was too busy playing with rocks when I little. :(
    edited March 2012
    Dfg wrote: »
    Well, I was too busy playing with rocks when I little. :(

Was your family too poor to afford sticks like the rich Paki kids?