Will a respirator protect against CS/tear gas?

fagfag Regular
edited March 2012 in Spurious Generalities
Just curious if the garden variety 3M hardware store painting respirator will protect ones lungs from tear gas/cs spray/etc.

Comments

• SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited March 2012
    fag wrote: »
    Just curious if the garden variety 3M hardware store painting respirator will protect ones lungs from tear gas/cs spray/etc.

What about your eyes though? you would need swimming goggles too.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2012
    It will lessen the effects but will not protect as well as a proper gas mask. A proper gas mask works on the principle of reaction and exchange. This is based on the fact that airborne chemicals which can hurt people are almost always more reactive than normal atmosphere. The method to speperate the harmful gas from the breathable gas involves some form of reactive substance such as an acid coating or some sort of solid material that reacts with the substance intended to be filtered. A common industrial respirator is generally not that sophisticated and normaly only filters fine particulate matter such as over spray form painting, dust from sanding, and other common work place particles. Being as CS is denser that atmosphere some of the molecules may be physically "trapped" by an industrial respirator but not to the extnet that the effects would be entirely or satisfactorily filtered.

CS is not that bad to be honsest as long as you don;t take a real deep breath of it. IN BCT at Ft. Sill they put us through the CS chamber. This involved standing in a 50 foot long building, putting on your gas mask, watching them release the gas, and then one at a time removing the gas masks, reciting your name, rank, SSN, home address, date of birth ans shoe size (J.K about the shoe size). Afterwards, when you had supposedly used all of the deep breath you took before removing the mask, you wer made to walk 50 foot to the other end without the mask in order to cause you to inhale the CS to teach why your gas mask was your buddy.

Of course I saw what was going on, took a really deep breath, spoke with a tightened throat to conserve the amount of air need to vibrate my larynx and form the words. This allowed me to simply walk to the other end of the building without breathing so the only effect I felt was a little burning in my eyes not too much worse than when you get soap in your eyes while showering. When I got outside I smiled at the Sgt and when he asked, "How was it?" I replied. I'm from Cleveland Sarge, it was like a good day on the pollution index". Well of course that was the wrong answer and I was made to go back through again with the stipulation to the trainer that, "That maggot does not leave the gas chamber until he is blue and puking on his boots". While I was forced to inhale while in there I was in great pulmonary condition at the time due to having grown up with a pool in the back yard and, at that point, running 5 miles every morning for the last 5 weeks. This meant that I could do with less oxygen for a longer period of time than most people. I can recall my eyes burning more than anything else but 2 minutes at the water truck with my mess kit cup and my eyes were merely red. That and the snot pored out of my nose like Niagara Falls for about 90 seconds straight. The main purpose of CS is not to incapacitate but rather to severely diminish the combat effectiveness of the target. If the target is determined enough and has the brains to not breath deeply or at all until they are clear of the area of effect the usefulness of CS is greatly reduced.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2012
    You need your eyes covered as well. Just buy an S-10 respirator (I got one for £25) with a sealed filter. That works wonders.