TimeScapes - Film by Tom Lowe

DfgDfg Admin
edited June 2012 in Life
Before we begin, watch this trailer:
http://www.timescapes.org/trailers/default.aspx

[vimeo]42785517[/vimeo]

And here are some more details:

[h=2]SYNOPSIS[/h] TimeScapes is the debut film from award-winning cinematographer and director Tom Lowe. The film features stunning slow-motion and timelapse cinematography of the landscapes, people, and wildlife of the American South West. Lowe spent 2 years roaming the Southwest in his Toyota pickup truck shooting the film.

TimeScapes was shot, edited and color-graded at 4K resolution (4096 x 2304 pixels).

It is the world's first movie to be sold to the public as a 4K file. More about 4k

It is also available as a 2560 x 1440 30-inch monitor ready download, on DVD and Blu-Ray, and 480p, 720p, and 1080p downloads.
blazing.jpg
[h=2]THE MAKING OF TIMESCAPES[/h] For Tom, timelapse started out as a hobby. Braving the conditions, he would camp out in places such as Yosemite, or Joshua Tree National Park, shooting the night sky, then editing the footage and uploading short films to Vimeo.com. People started to take notice, with some of his Vimeo videos racking up hundreds of thousands of views. Simultaneously, Lowe launched the Timescapes.org forum, the largest community of timelapse shooters on the internet, which has grown to over 5,000 members.

This led to a chance encounter on the internet with New Zealand composer and entrepreneur Nigel “John” Stanford. After a brief email conversation, “TimeScapes” the movie was born, with Stanford agreeing to fund the movie and provide Tom with a 4K Red MX digital cinema camera, while Canon USA sponsored the film by providing Lowe with 5.6K 5D Mark II DSLRs and lenses.

Production involved many hardships. Tom slept outdoors for 250 nights, sleeping on cots (without tents) under the stars next to his camera, while timelapse was being captured. During the middle of principle photography on “TimeScapes”, Lowe won the Astronomy Photographer of the year award in 2011, with the above image, 'Blazing Bristlecone' - featuring a 4,000-year-old bristlecone pine tree against the Milky Way. Unbeknownst to the judges, the photo was actually just one frame of a time-lapse movie, which is featured in “TimeScapes”, the movie.

During production, two trailers were released, which went on to gather over 3 million views.

TimeScapes was shot in 5K resolution on Red Epic and Canon DLSR cameras, edited in 4K in Adobe Premiere and After Effects, and graded at 16-bit 4K at Light Iron Hollywood on a Quantel Pablo system, by colorist Ian Vertovec (“Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”,“Social Network”).

830_bear.jpg
[h=2]THE PEOPLE[/h]

tom.jpg
[h=2]Tom Lowe[/h] Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Producer
From Orange County, California, Tom spent several years in the US military before embarking on his career as a photographer and cinematographer. Tom was instrumental in the resurgance of time-lapse, pioneering several new techniques, creating the TimeScapes.org forum, and helping design motorized time-apse dollies and motion-control systems.
Twitter | Facebook
nigel.jpg
[h=2]Nigel John Stanford[/h] Composer, Executive Producer, Motion Graphics
Hailing from Wellington New Zealand, Nigel is the composer for TimeScapes. He was previously the CEO of NZ's largest website Trademe.co.nz, and the founder of dating website findsomeone.co.nz and talent site starnow.co.uk. He is the owner of Rubber Monkey camera rentals and sales. Nigel lives in Wellington and New York with his wife and son.
Twitter | Facebook

830_sunset.jpg
[h=2]ON SET STILLS[/h]

bts_1.jpg
bts_2.jpg

bts_3.jpg
bts_4.jpg

bts_5.jpg
bts_6.jpg

With that done, check out his Editing Setup:

[vimeo]36969764[/vimeo]

This guys is awesome, I downloaded the movie from IPT and I loved it. The OST is amazing and guess what you can DL it from here.

But if you want the full album hit Demonoid and search for this: John Stanford [Ambient]

I must say, I was impressed with the work. I thought it was mostly computer generated but biy I was wrong. Never seen something so amazing. I am really inspired by this, the RED Camera is amazing. I loved his Rig, 16TB of footage. Fuck yeah, I guess I would need need more HDD space now. I am going to buy 2TB HDD in few days but my rig doesn't even come close to his storage wise.

On the power front yes it can compete but I need to get an Nvidia GPU soon.

Overall, worth the Dl.

Comments