mtgox and UK/GBP deposits

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited October 2012 in Spurious Generalities
It seems that this site is now having difficulties accepting UK payments to their domestic (Barclays) account. I had the opportunity to invest and after getting mates onboard I saw that I would have to wire money to fuckin' Japan in order to get me some BitCoin loving.

There's reports here and here (.onion link). The only reason I can think is that the UK Govt can't shut down the illegal sales (such as drugs, weapons etc) so they target the currency. I really hope there's another way to get coins soon! Anyone else experiencing difficulties?

I can't be arsed with some ways (and PingIt doesn't like rooted phones like mine unless you arse about with settings/firmware). Really miss the easy way.

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2012
    If this is some sort of government meddling it's completely unwarranted. They're blaming the currency used in a crime for the crime. I don't think the government would want to get down that legal black hole. Crypto-anarchists don't exactly shy away from legalese.

On the other hand they might just want to unduly harass them.

It might be a technical issue, or hackers though..

You might want to find someone who's willing to exchange your cash for bitcoins. It's a little cleaner that way. That's how i do it.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2012
    There is a local bitcoin service (a site that you can find people to exchange IRL for you) which I may try. There is another method I'll try (blockchain and Barclays PingIt) that has been recommended.

Still, if it is Govt. meddling, then they best start taking away all currency. No more laundering and we'd all be rich!