Iran and their image in the Media/Politics

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited November 2012 in Spurious Generalities
As it's almost impossible not to avoid anything about the US elections and whatnot, unless I follow my dream and truly live in a cave away from Humankind, I have a question that's been bugging me for a long time.

Iran.

Are all Americans united in the opposition of this rather beautiful Nation, who is led by a nutjob? Not everyone there is evil as they are made out to be, what with the Nuclear sanctions and talk of further restrictions to be imposed.
It just seems that Israel, who has a fair few nukes at their disposal (a load of which are based in their Ally Nations, too) is a great friend to have, and Iran is the bad guy?

Sure Iran want to use Uranium and said it's for energy uses, but they must feel pretty damn intimidated by a World which seems run by the US and shuts every door of opportunity that the Iranians have?

I know Ahmadinejad is a nutter on certain levels, and that doesn't excuse the aggression, but I just feel the Iranian people who are still there are being tarred with the same brush as their Leader.
Maybe they aren't but it's very rarely reported. The bigger voices are "we need to impose more sanctions" or "we will continue to support Israel" due to threats from an understandably annoyed Iran.

I speak from personal experience as my Mum had a friend who disappeared, possibly through the Government, in Iran and so like I said, the place aint perfect, but there's a ton of culture, history, hospitality and genuine want for outreach and peace with the West. It's just a shame that the Political circlejerk paint them all to be bad, evil people - when it's clear they aren't. Just seems to me to be a cycle of paranoia, fear and misinformation stemming from the word "Uranium" and "Israel".

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2012
    The Semites have been killing each other over sand for 6,000 years. I am talking Jews and Arabs alike as they original tribes of Israel are the same mud puppies that we call towel heads today. The only real difference is which God they are killing someone in the name of. They only reason the west is there is for the mineral wealth as always. So I say let's stop the dog and pony show and shed the sheepskin. Let's just be the wolves that we are (U.S., Britain, France, Germany, China, Russia, the whole 1st world) and turn the place into a big unpopulated sandbox. Arabs an Jews alike...
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2012
    *blown away*

Agree on that one. At least kill the extremists. Like I said, the majority of Iranians aren't total whackjobs. Those you see on TV are extremists and they get paid for it (some good undercover reports etc floating around).
    I used to debate, and still do to an extent, with my Zionist Uncle about his views on Israel. I'd gladly press the red button if it's aimed there and would take out said extremists. I suppose we're just playing the long game - "let them kill one another over a few generations, let it get forgotten, then we go in!"
    edited October 2012
    I think the long game here is "let enough of them die in what appears to be regionally created violence until they beg for a solution and one is offered in the form of total dissolution of sovereignty for the region under the guise of U.N. control for unhindered corporate exploitation".
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2012
    Interesting views, same can be said about Pakistan generally. Not all of us are nutjobs in fact with the Uni culture in, the vast majority doesn't give a flying fuck and most of them are looking towards earning and living their lives in peace. However, the problem is the education here. In one of my class the teacher who is a Hafez and a lawyer (go figure) compared the numbers of Uni students vs the number of Maddarssa students (students that get taught in mosques using the old views) and they really outnumber us. So, majority of the people that can educated by these places have a narrow approach on life and hatreds towards the west.

Now, the Uni doesn't enforce Islamic principles but they do mention or at least request you follow them. Personally I have no problems with them at all, when in Rome do as the Romans do. I don't see any possible problem with these restrictions when it comes to clothing and keeping a formal dress when in Uni. Honestly it reduces the sexual tension factor and keeps the environment clean.

Anyway, the point is, Iran is the same. The media even in Pakistan always focuses on the wrong things and that's one of the reason why I am diving into the media field. I see a different Pakistan in the future and I can portray it differently and yes get tons of Awards and money but generally I think these people needs a break. So, yeah I do plan to create a different view of Pakistan in the west. A view that is complete and not biased. Where there is light there is darkness, you need to focus on creating more ligths than dimming it out.

Education as always is the key here. Islamic principles aren't that bad, it's the Interpretation that fucks it up. When a guy that doesn't even know the history of anything and doesn't have enough education starts going through the Islamic verses he will in fact come up short and will make an uneducated guess regarding different issues. There has to a balance in everything.

Oh well, I am getting side tracked but when you can find a guy like me in Pakistan, I am sure you can find someone with the same mindset in Iran and I think those people are worth fighting for. Also, in reddit /r/athism and /r/exmuslim I do see a lot of Arabs etc who are leaving the religion and saying enough is enough but they're a minority.

If the situations were good enough in the west then I might be jumping there but just yesterday my sisters husband who lives in UK came to Pakistan few days ago and I met him and he said that Pakistan is honestly the best place to be and I sort of agree with him. Sure I don't get booze or get laid * I should be blamed for this because I am literally floating in Uni untapped pussy & it's only my fucking tastes and lack of Interests that are holding me back* and have to deal with Religious bullshit but that's isn't that bad either anyway. I have to deal with these types all over the worlds thanks to how rapid this Religion is growing and plus it's good to have a cover that will someday save your ass and also it lets me exploit these men and play with their brethren hearts for a while.

My Internet self and my real self is different. They're two different people and I enjoy keeping it that way, don't want the world to find out how fucked up I can be :D. We just need to keep pin driving and hope that in the end we make a difference. I plan to go out with a bang, that's my only aim. To go out with a fucking bang that hopefully might bring a change or just kill off everyone.

I talked to Beaver on Skype, RAMDE you should see his beard, it's epic. And he told me about four kinds of people. Sheep, Shepperd, Wolf and an Eagle. I told him honestly that I fall into the category of the Shepperd, can't be a Wolf and don't fancy being an Eagle. Although I have tested these in various ways, I think I am combination of a Wolf + Eagle + Shepperd on the Internet considering how badly I tend to do things but IRL, I am mostly definitely a Shepperd.

Fuck I should write more often. Fucking no Internet access in Uni atm.
    edited October 2012
    Had to look up what a "Hafez" is - and I'm gonna guess it's Iran related, but I'm glad my not-100% fiew that everyone is a nutter East of Romania is true. Or in fact, the entire World. It's just a shame that Political talk ranging way back yonder right up to today still tars everyone with the same brush in other Nations, or Ethnic groups or even voter demographic groups. It's a fucking dangerous mentality, and as a Human race I think we should be far from that now.

We have the tech to realise and see that there is good in the World, and to know that in it, decent people exist. It just amazes and saddens me to see that Politicians, no matter how subtle, still reach the primeval instinct in us to be able to incite hatred and a witch-hunt style mentality. In this instance, Iran.
    All we hear about are other National Leaders, not the people. Call me a faggot Marxist, but when looking back at History, only until recently it was written by the powerful, influential or rich. The common man had no say in the way things turned out as they are just puppets of the aforementioned in groups or just individuals.Like I said, we now have the tech to be able to change that, be it Social Media, blogs, communications devices etc. That being said I highly doubt events like the Berlin Wall falling would have happened if everyone sat on their backsides discussing it on Twitter - if they even could, given the level of control.
    People need to realise that technology can bring us together but in a sad, apathetic way. If there is to be change in this place we call Earth, then they need to speak up. Be seen. Be heard. And most of all, be the difference they wish to see. Nobody changed mindsets without being influential - and nobody became influential by sitting on their arse.

Unless you inherit it, but that's something which I don't agree with anyway. I'll save that for another rant.

I'm glad to hear that Universities are melting pots of perspective - but just be aware that there are Lecturers who will try to change and influence you. Just take it all, taste it (metaphorically, unless you are getting laid in which, eat it) and pursue what you think will be the most positive route. As for UK to Pakistan, I fully believe that what he said is right as well in certain aspects. Ok the healthcare and safety aspects may be a bit worse there, but overall, the people are more close-knit and can easily start something if they wanted. Over here we may see it as some "unhealthy" angry Muslim riots, but as technology isn't as widespread (I'm guessing) there, people actually have Human contact, and that's the crucial aspect in the beginnings of changing the image of a place that, to many in the West, looks to be a breeding ground of radicals.

As for the types of people, I recall chatting to TDR about that, and I wish i could remember what the characteristics of the Eagle are, but I've experienced the Shepherd and Wolf. At Uni I was the former for the first 2 years, then at the end, I was more introvert, determined but had to fight the hardest battles with myself. It sucked, but I made a conscious decision to be alone for better or worse, and that's how, for the time being, I feel the world can improve. I just need to take a back seat.

FUCK. I wish everyone had the chance to read threads like this, and start to reinvent themselves. I just went into a pretty deep ramble there. That was almost like meditative typing.

Just realised we both ended with the word "fuck". Internet high five!
    edited October 2012
    Sheep are the masses

Shepherds lead the masses (politicians and other civic and "business" leaders).

Wolves travel in pack (bike gangs inner city gangs etc.).

Eagles sore alone.
    edited October 2012
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    Had to look up what a "Hafez" is - and I'm gonna guess it's Iran related, but I'm glad my not-100% fiew that everyone is a nutter East of Romania is true. Or in fact, the entire World. It's just a shame that Political talk ranging way back yonder right up to today still tars everyone with the same brush in other Nations, or Ethnic groups or even voter demographic groups. It's a fucking dangerous mentality, and as a Human race I think we should be far from that now.

We have the tech to realise and see that there is good in the World, and to know that in it, decent people exist. It just amazes and saddens me to see that Politicians, no matter how subtle, still reach the primeval instinct in us to be able to incite hatred and a witch-hunt style mentality. In this instance, Iran.
    All we hear about are other National Leaders, not the people. Call me a faggot Marxist, but when looking back at History, only until recently it was written by the powerful, influential or rich. The common man had no say in the way things turned out as they are just puppets of the aforementioned in groups or just individuals.Like I said, we now have the tech to be able to change that, be it Social Media, blogs, communications devices etc. That being said I highly doubt events like the Berlin Wall falling would have happened if everyone sat on their backsides discussing it on Twitter - if they even could, given the level of control.
    People need to realise that technology can bring us together but in a sad, apathetic way. If there is to be change in this place we call Earth, then they need to speak up. Be seen. Be heard. And most of all, be the difference they wish to see. Nobody changed mindsets without being influential - and nobody became influential by sitting on their arse.

Unless you inherit it, but that's something which I don't agree with anyway. I'll save that for another rant.

I'm glad to hear that Universities are melting pots of perspective - but just be aware that there are Lecturers who will try to change and influence you. Just take it all, taste it (metaphorically, unless you are getting laid in which, eat it) and pursue what you think will be the most positive route. As for UK to Pakistan, I fully believe that what he said is right as well in certain aspects. Ok the healthcare and safety aspects may be a bit worse there, but overall, the people are more close-knit and can easily start something if they wanted. Over here we may see it as some "unhealthy" angry Muslim riots, but as technology isn't as widespread (I'm guessing) there, people actually have Human contact, and that's the crucial aspect in the beginnings of changing the image of a place that, to many in the West, looks to be a breeding ground of radicals.

As for the types of people, I recall chatting to TDR about that, and I wish i could remember what the characteristics of the Eagle are, but I've experienced the Shepherd and Wolf. At Uni I was the former for the first 2 years, then at the end, I was more introvert, determined but had to fight the hardest battles with myself. It sucked, but I made a conscious decision to be alone for better or worse, and that's how, for the time being, I feel the world can improve. I just need to take a back seat.

FUCK. I wish everyone had the chance to read threads like this, and start to reinvent themselves. I just went into a pretty deep ramble there. That was almost like meditative typing.

Just realised we both ended with the word "fuck". Internet high five!

Hafeez is a guy who has memories Quran (the Holy Book).

*Internet High-five*

Had more guest lectures and yeah I understand keeping an open mind towards what they say. In the end, action speak louder than words and I intend to take some form of action which WON'T get me killed because again I value my life more than some fucking ideology.
    edited October 2012
    That has to be point #1 in anything done inside a Muslim Country ;)
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited November 2012
    In my neck of the woods just about everyone is anti Iran, the population here is pretty conservative and hawkish. I personally don't give a fuck, to me it is all just politics we have supported, hell even built plenty of brutal regimes it is all about whether or their agenda is in line with ours. Now I do think there are some disturbing civil rights problems in Iran but for fuck sake that describes half the world. Honestly I do figure that there will be U.S. military action in Iran at some point but I don't think that it will be necessary nor particularly effective. I find it very telling that our relations with Iran were much better when they were controlled by a regime we put in power.
    edited November 2012
    Arkansan wrote: »
    In my neck of the woods just about everyone is anti Iran, the population here is pretty conservative and hawkish. I personally don't give a fuck, to me it is all just politics we have supported, hell even built plenty of brutal regimes it is all about whether or their agenda is in line with ours. Now I do think there are some disturbing civil rights problems in Iran but for fuck sake that describes half the world. Honestly I do figure that there will be U.S. military action in Iran at some point but I don't think that it will be necessary nor particularly effective. I find it very telling that our relations with Iran were much better when they were controlled by a regime we put in power.

Yeah, imagine that, huh?