"Junkies in the Hurricane" - addicts and natural disasters

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited October 2012 in Man Cave
So my post-apocalyptic story (that I am still working on) covers me rooting through an abandoned pharmacy. Never did I think I'd find an article about a real life example. Today I also thought about whether there was a rush to buy drugs before a tornado etc hit whatever area.

Anyway, here's the article and quoted highlight. Really good read:
The next day, I woke up in the fogginess of Seroquel—an antipsychotic that can helps you to sleep through withdrawals, which I’d been given by a pharmacist who was a regular at the strip club where I worked. I expected to find the world just as I’d left it. Slowly, I pulled on my clothes and left the tiny apartment. Crawling up the stairs, with the painful gait of a junkie just risen from a hellish kick, I realized the power was still out. I stepped onto the balcony, into the sunshine, wiping my eyes and grasping my stomach, and stared in disbelief. The streets had morphed into slow-moving rivers.

Crucially, the rules of scoring had also changed; most of the dealers had abandoned New Orleans, but unguarded pharmacies remained. Making a foray into the flooded streets, I gingerly picked my way through the already-busted window of our darkened neighborhood pharmacy. Gripping a cooler in one hand and a lighter in front of me, water sloshing in my shoes, I tried to be stealthy. Rows of those cheap white metal shelves still held pills, liquids and powders in neat lines: an Aladdin's cave.

http://www.thefix.com/content/hurricane-katrina-heroin-addict90259?page=all