Running a marathon for the first time.

GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
edited December 2012 in Life
Just signed up to run a marathon in Edinburgh chaps :) First time for me running this distance, and I was wondering if you have any tips and what to expect on the day. I'm going with a group of 14 people from my university, 6 of which are running the full marathon. We had just had a meeting today to discus the accommodation we will be staying in for 3 nights

I've got a running plan from ASICS http://www.asics.co.uk/
I have also got an app called Strava Run which will record everything from my android phone, such as the distance, time etc and I plan to buy an armband to fit my phone in it. Due to it using the GPS it will chart everything that I need to know and allow me to follow the running plan precisely.
Equipment wise, I've got running shorts and a synthetic material running top. I have proper running socks so I shouldn't get blisters, and some reasonably expensive Adidas running shoes. I'm running on May the 26th :)

Comments

• DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Good luck bro. Shit like that would kill me for sure. Probably about time I get off of my arse and do some exercise :).
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2012
    Good luck bro. Shit like that would kill me for sure. Probably about time I get off of my arse and do some exercise :).

Man, I should register for marathon myself. But the ones here sucked ass, they're short distance like 2-6 KM and I don't have the running stamina but I can out distance people if it was lets say 30 Km. I tried for a local marathon and I got a first hand bitch slap. Most people don't follow the proper antics, they will just run off like idiots and since the distance was small you can't catch up. I suggest getting into a routine of running for long distances while maintaining a steady speed. That's where I got fucked, when I ran it broke my form (which wasn't that awesome to begin with) but I couldn't recover, I did sprint at the last turn but I was like wtf man, WTF, I had energy while others were used up and I was pissed.

So, I hope in your case it's a proper run, not some 2-4 mile run that I went into thinking it was a fucking marathon. TL;DR: They called a short race a marathon and I got pwned.

Again, RUN RUN RUN, long runs, know your limits and learn to be patient and in control the whole time.