What mobile carrier should I use? (USA)

JackJack Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I'm moving to a new place soon and I won't be paying so much for rent that I can't afford a real carrier. What should I switch to after I ditch MetroPCS?

Criteria:
- Service reliability, either in general or in the North Texas area
- Price efficiency
- Availability of cheap "unlimited" plans
- You have found customer service satisfactory
- Availability of best data plan for the price (assuming I decide to get a smartphone).
- Availability of pre-paid/as-you-go plans (because I have no credit)

Note that I'll be using Verizon DSL or FiOS so any package deals should be figured into the decision.

Assume at this time that there is no preference of phone model availability.

I know it isn't a very comprehensive list, but those are the only national full carriers I've heard of who were on the list I found on Wikipedia.

Comments

• StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited July 2010
    Since you're moving to the South then CellSouth is your best bet, cheapest rates with the same phones as Verizon and AT&T and pretty good coverage.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    I use Virgin Mobile, it's pretty good up here.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    Virgin mobile suck in any low populating area. If you want something that will get service just about everywhere go for Verizon FTW but T-mobile is a lot cheaper. But depending on where your at sprint and at&t are good too. But when you travel around they wont work everywhere. Best bet is verizon or T-mobile. Both have good phones and great service.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the input so far. Updated OP by the way.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2010
    Go Verizon you will not regret it.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    AT&T unfortunately :facepalm:

I joined them because they had the best coverage and the best phones, two years ago. Ever since that fucking iPhone came out they seem to contract NO good phones anymore and Android platform has just been getting shit on. I'm getting the Galaxy though instead of the iPhone 4 at the end of the month. Fuck Apple and AT&T. Should have gone Verizon but both rape you for prices.

T-Mobile was hands down the best I've ever used but almost never on their own towers because of shitty coverage. Always roaming AT&T which is why I switched.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    LSA King wrote: »
    AT&T unfortunately :facepalm:

I joined them because they had the best coverage and the best phones, two years ago. Ever since that fucking iPhone came out they seem to contract NO good phones anymore and Android platform has just been getting shit on. I'm getting the Galaxy though instead of the iPhone 4 at the end of the month. Fuck Apple and AT&T. Should have gone Verizon but both rape you for prices.

T-Mobile was hands down the best I've ever used but almost never on their own towers because of shitty coverage. Always roaming AT&T which is why I switched.

T-mobile has greatly Up'd there service. But they still arent to verizon. However they are cheaper and easy to handle. I would take ATT off your list because there just not worth it unless you are in very specific locations.
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited July 2010
    I have Verizon and have service pretty much everywhere I go. I live in the boondocks too. There are certain spots where I don't have it but no one has it in those spots. So far I've had it for nearly a year and haven't had any problems :D