So I set up a proxy for uTorrent..

edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Is there any reason to expect that this will protect me from litigation in the least bit? I imagine that if the RIAA were looking to sue someone for filesharing, they'd probably decide not to waste their time once they realized that the person was in Sweden, so I used a Swedish server.

Did I do the right thing, or is it easy for them to recognize and get around this sort of thing?

Comments

• AKIRAAKIRA Regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there any reason to expect that this will protect me from litigation in the least bit? I imagine that if the RIAA were looking to sue someone for filesharing, they'd probably decide not to waste their time once they realized that the person was in Sweden, so I used a Swedish server.

Did I do the right thing, or is it easy for them to recognize and get around this sort of thing?

It's really easy for them to get around it, i had a friend downloading torrents and he got contacted by the pentagon, and i havent seen or heard from him since.
  • edited August 2010
    AKIRA wrote: »
    It's really easy for them to get around it, i had a friend downloading torrents and he got contacted by the pentagon, and i havent seen or heard from him since.

omg rly?

But seriously, I remember getting a warning for downloading Gran Torino too soon after it was released. Nothing ever came of it, but it made me realize that this is serious business. It seems as though that since 2008, they haven't been bringing many lawsuits to court.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited August 2010
    omg rly?

But seriously, I remember getting a warning for downloading Gran Torino too soon after it was released. Nothing ever came of it,

Lulz. Same thing. Just a cease order basically. Meh. I've gotten a few of the letters. I stopped torrenting more recent shit.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow someone is nervous. They won't go after you unless you download 50 movies a day for weeks on end.
  • edited August 2010
    Wow someone is nervous. They won't go after you unless you download 50 movies a day for weeks on end.

You really think so?

I'm much less worried anyway due to what is more or less the cessation of file-sharing lawsuits, except in the cases of "Flagrant violators."
  • edited August 2010
    I downloaded a torrent for Kick-ass at my grandparent's house and he got a letter a week later saying that he could be fined 10,000$ :hai: He still doesn't know it was my fault.

Imagine the look on his face lol
  • AM33NAM33N Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    LMAO !!! Guys you're kind of mean here :- P Anyway, just use Peerblock you should be fine ;)
  • AKIRAAKIRA Regular
    edited August 2010
    lol about the pentagon thing, its not true about my friend being taken away, but he did get something that had their ip number on it so he stopped with torrents, i torrent shit all the time, shoot today alone i downloaded three movies each about 1.5gb
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    Private Trackers
    Peer Guarding/ Peer Block
    VPN/Seed Box if required.
  • edited August 2010
    How about using I2P? It contains support for torrents, I think.

Also, my friend downloaded one album using torrents and had to go to court and pay a fine. And that was a single album.

I know this guy who was in contact with the FBI at one point and faced various charges. They got onto the subject of piracy and downloads, and they pretty much straight up told him that unless you're downloading 9001 movies/albums a day, or you download something from the wrong place (IE, somewhere being monitored), then you'll get fucked over. Just stay conscious about what you're doing and you'll be fine.
  • edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    How about using I2P? It contains support for torrents, I think.

Also, my friend downloaded one album using torrents and had to go to court and pay a fine. And that was a single album.

I know this guy who was in contact with the FBI at one point and faced various charges. They got onto the subject of piracy and downloads, and they pretty much straight up told him that unless you're downloading 9001 movies/albums a day, or you download something from the wrong place (IE, somewhere being monitored), then you'll get fucked over. Just stay conscious about what you're doing and you'll be fine.

I presume that you can't tell which sites are being monitored and which aren't? Also, it's not the FBI that I'm worried about, it's those private companies that the niggers at the RIAA and MPAA hire to go after downloaders.

As for the album that your friend downloaded, was it a fairly new album?
  • edited August 2010
    I presume that you can't tell which sites are being monitored and which aren't? Also, it's not the FBI that I'm worried about, it's those private companies that the niggers at the RIAA and MPAA hire to go after downloaders.

As for the album that your friend downloaded, was it a fairly new album?

I'd personally stick to private trackers for maximum safety, and use Peerguardian or something to be sure.

Not sure what the album was, to be honest. Don't think it was anything particularly new or old. All I know is, he got a letter through about a week later stating what he had downloaded, where it had come from, and that he should attend court etc.
  • edited August 2010

Not sure what the album was, to be honest. Don't think it was anything particularly new or old. All I know is, he got a letter through about a week later stating what he had downloaded, where it had come from, and that he should attend court etc.

It wasn't a C&D? Shit, what ended up happening?
  • edited August 2010
    What's a C&D?

Basically, after getting the letter, he went to court and his mom payed the fine out of money which he inherited from his dead millionaire grandpa. Side note - He spent pretty much all of that money on weed, new shoes, skateboards, and a skatepark in his back yard. He didn't go to school at all, and now has a totally fucked up life. :D
  • edited August 2010
    What's a C&D?

Cease and Desist. That's all I got when I downloaded Gran Torino, a letter telling me to stop that shit.
    Basically, after getting the letter, he went to court and his mom payed the fine out of money which he inherited from his dead millionaire grandpa. Side note - He spent pretty much all of that money on weed, new shoes, skateboards, and a skatepark in his back yard. He didn't go to school at all, and now has a totally fucked up life. :D

Shit sucks.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't download anything under 1 year old. I torrent shit all the damn time and never get warnings. They're only after new releases because they cannot monitor everything. Get peerblock and an ipblock list for utorrent. If you're really fucking paranoid go download at your local library or any wifi hot spot. You cannot get busted that way. Unfortunately for me I downloaded soooo much shit at the local library that they blocked downloading literally anything. You can't even download firefox or any program there lol.
  • edited August 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Don't download anything under 1 year old. I torrent shit all the damn time and never get warnings. They're only after new releases because they cannot monitor everything. Get peerblock and an ipblock list for utorrent. If you're really fucking paranoid go download at your local library or any wifi hot spot. You cannot get busted that way. Unfortunately for me I downloaded soooo much shit at the local library that they blocked downloading literally anything. You can't even download firefox or any program there lol.

Hahaha. I download a shit load of stuff through the college internet connection, using Megaupload and Rapidshare etc. They don't even notice, its awesome. Plus, they run a super high speed connection which lets me get things in literally seconds.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    Hahaha. I download a shit load of stuff through the college internet connection, using Megaupload and Rapidshare etc. They don't even notice, its awesome. Plus, they run a super high speed connection which lets me get things in literally seconds.

I got busted once by my uni's isp. They threaten to expel people now for "illegal filesharing" so lots of people quit doing it. Quite a few got lawsuits here too. Pretty fucking stupid.