Scale down forum categories

da teachada teacha Regular
edited September 2010 in Help and Suggestions
Totse started off with only a few forum categories, and only added more when it grew.

It's a bit silly to have 40 odd forums when we have an equal number of members.

It probably would be best to merge a few of the forums which have similar topics until the community starts gathering momentum.

Comments

• JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Good idea. Too many forums makes the place look dead.
  • BodilYFluidSBodilYFluidS Regular
    edited July 2010
    i respectfully disagree. i feel like the wide range of subjects is perfect to attract more members. there's more to draw them in.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited July 2010
    Same here. The point was to rebuild, and theres no point in destroying a perfectly good foundation.
  • ateate Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I suppose it will work either way, as long as there are contributors.
  • BodilYFluidSBodilYFluidS Regular
    edited July 2010
    @ate:
    yeah that's our main obstacle right now.
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited July 2010
    ate wrote: »
    I suppose it will work either way, as long as there are contributors.

But the more categories; the more contributors needed.

There are shitloads of forums on the web; people can discuss stuff anywhere they want. The goal has to be draw in decent posters and keep them posting and responding: to form communities.

If there are half dead forums, then people may post once with an interesting thread, but are going to be less likely to come back if there are no replies after a certain amount of time.

If a given forum area encompasses a wider ranger of topics, then its going to increase the audience, and thus give a greater chance of people replying.

Additionally, it takes less time to visit one forum and check for updates, then to click through 3. The time they spend flicking through empty forums could be used responding to posts.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited July 2010
    I could hide some forums until a later time if that is what is agreed upon.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Bump for review