stresstres Regular
edited January 2011 in Life
Shit be confusing.. :angry:

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Flat isn't it?
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited September 2010
    Depends what you want to focus on. Incline focuses more on the upper pectorals, while decline focuses more on the lower pectorals. Flat is in between :p

I would also suggest switching it up from barbell to dumbbells and vice versa once in a while.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    uh-huh! exactly what i needed to know. feel pretty stupid for not figuring it out lol :angry:

I was wondering how to work lower pectorals, i was considering searching it as currently I must only be working the upper because it's becoming obvious as fuck :facepalm:

i'll smash decline for 2 weeks and see what progress I get.

Oh and I haven't forgotten about the GOMAD thread; I just have no access to scales so I can't track at the moment; I've been training for about 2 weeks after a month break (i lost 4kg's) and I've been focusing a little more on whole natural food over excess calories; I am aiming for 2ltrs a day but sometimes don't make it.

Over the past 2 weeks, I've almost doubled my squat max and I've added decent mass to my legs so I should be gaining. I'm just a little anxious about DL and bench so I have been going against everything I have been told and subbing barbells for press machines and neglecting DL entirely. I guess it's a confidence thing right now; I haven't done my body any favours in the past and I don't quite trust my form and strength to do the lifts unaided.
    edited September 2010
    If you go to a gym just ask someone around you for a spot. Most people are more than willing to do it. Having a spot there just in case helps a lot with confidence.

If your form isn't perfect, work on it with lighter weights. Try doing a five second lift. Three seconds on the way down, and two on the way up.

As for the middle of your pecs i feel that doing tricept dips (the ones not on the bench, most likely on the same thing as a pullup) is a killer exercise.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    new routine new thread
    edited September 2010
    I would say you are doing too many muscles in one day.

Try to do a split routine, everyone is different but i find that it works the best for me.

Do something like

Day 1
    Chest
    Triceps

Day 2
    Back
    Biceps

Day 3
    Shoulders
    Abs

Day 4
    Legs

Day 5
    Rest

REPEAT!

Do 3-4 exercises for each muscle group. Always work out the bigger (major) muscle first before the secondary.

I would do 4 sets for each exercise, with a drop set thrown in there for a couple of the major ones. (drop set is the last set when you take it back down to your warm up weight and rep it as many times as you can, or use a lower amount of weight you feel comfortable repping)

I can write you a specific schedule if you want, or there are many ones online that are nice.

Especially check out http://www.bodybuilding.com/ that site has a lot of good information and guides for everything.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    You see, I was under the impression that frequency was more important then the load lol. (I.e; train each group every 2 days > lower frequency training but placing more emph on each group). I had an inclination that I was over-training when i begun to divide my routine into upper/lower body and the fact that i would lose 2 hours to exercise ha. I have no problem dispersing it all over a 5 day period; in fact I think it would be a lot easier.

About the drop set, I'll currently load like 20% of max and do 1x5 to get it all flowing then 4~5x5 max, then if I don't hit failure I'll drop for 50% and push 1x10 or unless I fail sooner. Is the aim of the drop set to hit failure or the opposite?

If you would like to write up schedule, I would certainly appreciate it however I am familiar with navigating BB.com and don't mind should you cbf'd, I'm sure when I run into any doubt over there I would repost here.. :hai:

I think one of the main things I'm trying to work out is really; should I adhere to stronglifts or other and focus on compounds and return to basics and really work on form with a barbell or am I fine to train on the iso-lateral press machines until I build a base level of fitness before I actually start building you know? And secondly; the raises/extensions/leg press/curls etc and body weighted exercises, are they welcome in this routine couple with compounds like bench and squat?

Also; I'm a little stumped on how many actual exercises I know per group. Triceps for example, all I really know of is how to extend a few different ways.. Aside from bench press; I wouldn't know any other chest exercises either..

I have a feeling that in about a fortnight everything will gel and I will eventually fall into consistency that works. I look forward to squats all day/week because I'm now very confident in my form, especially the re-lift stage where as the first week trying to squat I could of easily blown out my knees because I was improvising on knowledge. I hope to be that confident in all my base-lifts very soon and then we shall see some shit fall into place! :thumbsup:

thoroughly appreciate your replies dood! ;)
    edited September 2010
    In no way am i saying this is a perfect routine or the best. This is a little different then what i do, so I'm trying to suit what it seemed your concerns where. If you have any questions about any of the exercises just ask.

One major thing is to not over train yourself. Rest is one of the most important parts because that is when your muscles heal and repair themselves. Make sure you keep up your protein and diet on your off days.

I like to do sets with increasing weights and decreasing reps. Start with a warm up set of 12, then go to 10, 8, 6 for you last set for most exercises. Some of the bigger muscles and exercises you might just want to do 3 sets for each, and then do a drop set.

Day 1
    Chest
    • Flat barbell press
    • Incline dumbbell press
    • Decline dumbbell pectoral flies

Triceps
    • Triceps push downs
    • Incline EZ bar skull crushers
    • Single arm seated triceps push up. (Sit and put dumbbell behind your head, try and keep elbow and shoulder as close to a straight line as possible and push the weight up, go back down to about 90 degrees and repeat.
    • Triceps dips (chain belt with added weight can be used if it's too easy with just body weight)

Day 2
    Back
    • Seated pulldowns
    • Bent over barbell row
    • Dead lifts (for lower back)
    • Iso lateral Bicept pull down/ pull back (depending what equipment your gym as)

Biceps
    • Straight barbell curls
    • EZ bar preacher curls
    • Hammer curls dumbbell
    • 21's with EZ bar (7 reps going halfway up. 7 reps going from halfway to full. 7 full reps (just 1 or 2 sets)

Day 3
    Shoulders
    • Dumbbell shoulder press
    • Frontal dumbbell raises
    • Parallel dumbbell raises
    • Dumbbell shrugs
    Abs
    Just throw in an ab circuit that you think would best suite you, you can also do abs on other days, but remember they are a muscle and need rest also.

Day 4
    Legs
    • Squats (you can use a smith machine, make sure you at least go down to 90 degrees or parallel.
    • Leg press
    • Calf raises/calf lifts/calf machine
    • Leg extensions

Day 6
    REST! REST! REST!

Try to throw some cardio in to the mix on a couple of days after you are done lifting. Remember complex exercises before simple.

I also switch up my routine every couple weeks so its harder to hit a plateau. And to target different areas.

I hope that at least helped a little. If you have any questions just ask, or criticize it in any way.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    totse, make it so baby! :hai:

i couldn't of asked for a better reply; you've saved me months of trial and subsequent error. I'm familiar with all but a few of mentioned exercises and I'll try youtube in regards to learning form. I'm the sort of person who although won't bother you in the gym, should you look like a nice dood I will politely ask for a hand if I'm ever doubtful about my safety so theres no reason for me to not adopt the compounds. Although, is there really that much difference between squatting on the v-squat to using the smith machine? Because if not, I'd much prefer to use the v-squat because it has nice cushioning - haha yeah I did just say that.

the increments of weight is another thing I would never have picked up by myself either :thumbsup:

I remember in another thread in RI mentioned that 4day-split is an advanced approach not suitable for beginners as 6~12months on strong lifts is necessary for building a foundation in regards to some type of micro-fibre development or something :confused: If this is the case, I'm not prejudice against stronglifts, but I am taking it pretty seriously lately and should I have access to all this gear I think I may as well use it? I'm 100% conscious of my form in every lift, regardless of group and although it may not be perfect, it's my goal far beyond any gain or weight. So I dunno, as long as my body can keep up I'll go the 4day split, if not I'll learn stronglifts...

Thanks mate ;)
    edited September 2010
    There isn't much difference in impact of the smith machine and v-squat as far as i believe. Now free squats on a squat rack are a lot hard because you have to balance more.

A split schedule is some what of an advanced schedule but its not unreachable if you are a beginner. Yes you will be sore as hell probably for the first couple of weeks but you should get into the routine and be fine. I have no idea with the micro fiber development issue. When you work out you tear the micro fibers and then when you rest you regrow them (which makes your muscles bigger and stronger.) Ill try and look into that and ask around next time i hit the gym.

If you are too sore to work out, just take that day off for rest. Going in and doing a shitty work out i believe is worse than resting and letting your muscles heal. If you are smart about it, and don't over train yourself you will be fine. Just make sure your taking in enough calories and protein. :)
  • SkinDeepSkinDeep Semo-Regulars
    edited October 2010
    Flat/Decline for the fucking win.
  • speedfeedspeedfeed New Arrival
    edited January 2011
    I personally do very little inclined or declined and I still seem to have fairly well developed chest. I love to use dumbbells because I can do real heavy lifting without a spotter and it works more muscles than the bar does, although as I leaned recently they do work somewhat different muscles, so you should probably do both.