Substituting Messenger

stresstres Regular
edited October 2010 in Tech & Games
My loyalty to this program has come to an end; it's fucking garbage and it's not like theres even an excuse for it to be buggy. The few people I know who still use this shit can't converse with more then 1 person at a time without somebody dropping out, i can't show my dick to girls (joking, relax) without the webcam response timing out or never being received and should it accept, can't see shit anyway.

I remember the golden era when EVERY girl had msn. If you didn't use msn; just give it up... now the past 5 girls I've asked whether or not they use msn for IM they are all like 'nah only skype' or some variation.

tl:dr/ FUCK bill gates and his geek squad :angry:

Comments

• AmieAmie Regular
    edited September 2010
    I still use Windows Messenger, but I set the options to hide all tabs, unnecessary buttons etc. and I use A-patch to remove the advertisements. Much better that way.

I havn't noticed the bugs you're describing, but I don't use a webcam and I seldom have a group conversation.

But yeah, nowadays, most people barely use MSN anymore. They all use facebook and myspace etc. to communicate. It's a shame.
  • edited September 2010
    My MSN stopped being compatible with webcam use shortly after I actually went and bought the fucking thing :mad:

I use Linux a whole lot more now though, so I use Pidgin and Skype Beta to communicate.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    this happens all the time:

hey did you think about it?
    - what?
    what i sent 20mins ago, you didn't reply
    - i replied, you're the one who didn't reply.

all ~ the ~ time.

That's only the time's that I notice. I've have people call me constantly "fucking reply on msn" yet i get no notifications. I'm done with it dude; I've kicked enough habits in the past 6months to realise its easy as piss to change paradigms. It's going to be weird to begin with cause I've used msn every time I've used a computer since I was like in the 4th grade and after graduating high school; my contact list has shrunk almost a thousand contacts and i'm down to logging on for one or two people.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    I have Windows Live Messenger and I just use it when Matt or that cunt Raven messages me to come online. I hate Skype because I don't like it and it's kinda lonely for me :(.

Pidgin and Digsby and even Trillian might do the trick.
  • edited September 2010
    I highly recommend Pidgin, as it's fairly lightweight and supports many different IM clients in one package. It's also customizable, has some great Plugins (such as OTR), and is really easy to use.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    or that cunt Raven messages me to come online.

I thought this was hilarious! I have no clue who that is even though I have seen you mention them a few times..

Thanks for the replies doods; I'll download all three and have perusal. After 8 hours of working on re-organising and cleaning my drive last night I don't mind spending time figuring out what IM client is best for me seeing as I'm pretty depended on it.
  • edited September 2010
    Awesome. Good luck, and if you need any help then be sure to post here!
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    Since you offered bud, mind sparing a moment to detail how to get onto irc with you lads? I had it figured out for chemphoria and their channel but I haven't used the program in so long I can't figure out how to reach #totse.

I have xchat and mirc; both should work right?:facepalm:
  • edited September 2010
    Yah, both will work. Try opening irc://irc.totse.info in your web browser - that's how I usually do it.

Then once you're on, /join #totse
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    stres wrote: »
    I thought this was hilarious! I have no clue who that is even though I have seen you mention them a few times..

Thanks for the replies doods; I'll download all three and have perusal. After 8 hours of working on re-organising and cleaning my drive last night I don't mind spending time figuring out what IM client is best for me seeing as I'm pretty depended on it.

Actually Raven is my IRL close friend (the only one who knows about Totse) and matt is the owner of Tek and he is my e-friend :). They're the only two people I use Messenger for.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2010
    Webcam/audiocall support is non existent or spotty at best with a non standard messenger client.

If you really need video stuff i'd suggest going with msn live and one of those patcher things like Amess or mess.be

http://patch.mess.be/
    http://apatch.org/

The last one feels free to explain the values of Islam while you are installing the patch.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited October 2010
    I stopped using messenger when I realized I didn't really care about anybody I was talking to and they all went from being a random person I talked to across the Internet to someone who wouldn't leave me the fuck alone. It is a sad day in the e-world when the point is communicating with one another and you have to include options like "Invisible" to avoid being seen and having to communicate with others. Unfortunately people are just as annoying online as they are off, especially the more you get to know them. Only difference is you can tell them to STFU without the in your face confrontation and worrying about hurting their feelings. I have no feelings and I don't fear hurting peoples feelings so that cancels out for me and made me realize how pointless it was for me to use messenger.

MSN is complete shit, AIM wasn't much better, and fuck Skype. That piece of shit will never install on any computer I own ever.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited October 2010
    I used to use aim, but it truly was shit. It also was always eating 8% CPU. I use pidgin now, and I am quite happy with the program.