Online sites that give money for work.

LethargicaLethargica Regular
edited May 2011 in Life
I have no knowledge of this area; from what i've heard, most of them are scams. Does totse know of such websites that will give money(to like a paypal account) for meaningless tasks?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    You mean like, sites which you do surveys for and things like that?
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2010
    There is popular one affiliated with yahoo (or similar) that pays a few cent to a quite a few cents (depending on the task).

I can't remember the site but it's legit.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited October 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    You mean like, sites which you do surveys for and things like that?

Yes anything that pertains to work like doing surveys, reading e-mails etc.
  • Hellz-FuryHellz-Fury Regular
    edited December 2010
    ChaCha.com

It's not surveys, it's sorta like an actual job.

I do it.
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited February 2011
    There is popular one affiliated with yahoo (or similar) that pays a few cent to a quite a few cents (depending on the task).

I can't remember the site but it's legit.
    Amazon has Mturk. Maybe that's the one you're thinking of? It's not what it used to be though.
  • majeurevismajeurevis Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    Ok, Mturk SUCKS. It pays shit, and isn't even worth outsourcing work with.

Working online depends on your skills, really. Chacha.com is ok, and I've heard you can make about $10 per hour with it. Support.com sometimes hires tech support, and it's all through email, chat, or phone.

There's plenty of job boards for online work to be found. Elance.com is just one example. I won't tell you exactly which sites I use because I have enough competition as it is, but hopefully some of these will help you out.
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited February 2011
    majeurevis wrote: »

Jesus. Chill out, man. That's what we were all saying.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    Dude, Mturk.com isn't bad at all. Unless you are a fucking retard and cant type or work at a halfway decent pace. Even a retard could do the research studies and make $10 an hour.

Extremely simple tasks, that don't take much thought. Some of the best hits on mturk are the lower paying ones with hundreds in the group. .10 to re write a question. Those will give you close to $12/hr if you can think and type at a decent pace. Research studies that pay $2.50/per takes 10-15 minutes to complete. $10-12/hr

Transcription ones are good with a bit of practice and when the up your qualification score. You can pull $20/hr. I recommend a good set of headphones.

Also: there is oDesk, but they monitor you. and you have to double check on the pay, I almost took a job for $200 updating an email database (copy/paste email addresses) but after a couple questions realized it would have taken almost 3 weeks.
    edited February 2011
    jewnose wrote: »
    Jesus. Chill out, man. That's what we were all saying.

Actually, none of you said anything about it sucking. You said it's not what it used to be, which it's not. The last time I checked it out, it was filled with people with poor English skills who would work for a dollar or two per hour and be happy. I vaguely recall some sort of ranking system (?) where you had to do the lower paying tasks for a while before getting the higher paying gigs?

All that I'm trying to recommend is you choosing a skill, getting a portfolio together, and being a freelancer at whatever you decide to do. Elance and Odesk were mentioned and are both decent. They also pay a lot more than Mturk does. I've contracted numerous article packages and made about $15 per hour through Odesk. The monitoring thing only happens if you are getting paid hourly, and it makes sense because it proves to your employer that you are actually performing your work. All it does is take a screenshot every few minutes and keep track of your typing speed.

I've personally never worked on Mturk, but have experience giving work through it and I have never received a halfway decent outcome from it. That is what I'm basing my experience on.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited February 2011

Working online depends on your skills, really. Chacha.com is ok, and I've heard you can make about $10 per hour with it. Support.com sometimes hires tech support, and it's all through email, chat, or phone.

There's plenty of job boards for online work to be found. Elance.com is just one example. I won't tell you exactly which sites I use because I have enough competition as it is, but hopefully some of these will help you out.

Yeah ChaCha is legit and has decent volume but it's boring as fuck (at least to me). I worked for Support.com for a couple of years and the actual support is all over phone and remote access (it's pretty much chat or phone to get them online and then you ideally get them to fuck off while you work on the computer remotely - no connection, usually no service). SupportSpace.com is similar except it's I-9 instead of W-2, paid on commission for services you do instead of hourly (could be good or bad, depends on how you play it). Support.com isn't just something you could do with no skill set, though, you'd need actual tech background (and ability to *support* tech to end users). http://corp.support.com/ check here for "Solutions Center Engineer", that'll be tech support. You could try for sales, it's work-from-home too. Last I heard, $9/hr + commission for sales over quota.
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited February 2011
    Actually, none of you said anything about it sucking. You said it's not what it used to be, which it's not. The last time I checked it out, it was filled with people with poor English skills who would work for a dollar or two per hour and be happy. I vaguely recall some sort of ranking system (?) where you had to do the lower paying tasks for a while before getting the higher paying gigs?

All that I'm trying to recommend is you choosing a skill, getting a portfolio together, and being a freelancer at whatever you decide to do. Elance and Odesk were mentioned and are both decent. They also pay a lot more than Mturk does. I've contracted numerous article packages and made about $15 per hour through Odesk. The monitoring thing only happens if you are getting paid hourly, and it makes sense because it proves to your employer that you are actually performing your work. All it does is take a screenshot every few minutes and keep track of your typing speed.

I've personally never worked on Mturk, but have experience giving work through it and I have never received a halfway decent outcome from it. That is what I'm basing my experience on.
    Wow, do you get this worked up over every little thing? :D

Best way to make money online is pedobaiting. I just have problems looking at pictures of old man cock, even for a second. The only time I did it was for Amazon gift certificates. I was amazed at how easy it was.
    edited February 2011
    I was trying to explain things to you, since you obviously don't know shit about shit. Maybe I need to talk slower and use smaller words.
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited February 2011
    :D You're a funny little man. Please don't ever change.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited February 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    Dude, Mturk.com isn't bad at all. Unless you are a fucking retard and cant type or work at a halfway decent pace. Even a retard could do the research studies and make $10 an hour.

Extremely simple tasks, that don't take much thought. Some of the best hits on mturk are the lower paying ones with hundreds in the group. .10 to re write a question. Those will give you close to $12/hr if you can think and type at a decent pace. Research studies that pay $2.50/per takes 10-15 minutes to complete. $10-12/hr

Transcription ones are good with a bit of practice and when the up your qualification score. You can pull $20/hr. I recommend a good set of headphones.

Also: there is oDesk, but they monitor you. and you have to double check on the pay, I almost took a job for $200 updating an email database (copy/paste email addresses) but after a couple questions realized it would have taken almost 3 weeks.
    Well, I just visited the site and it seems interesting. I suppose it's legit right? I mean, Amazon?

I'm registering a worker account.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Well, I just visited the site and it seems interesting. I suppose it's legit right? I mean, Amazon?

I'm registering a worker account.

Yes, for the most part. Go to turkopticon and get the firefox extension so you can see the ratings and reviews of the requesters. There are scammers from time to time that will take your work, reject it, and not pay you. But Amazon still lets them keep your work. GAY

In thousands of hits I've completed though, I only have 1 rejection, and that was my own fault.

Couple good requesters:
    Castingwords (If you have good headphones and can type fast, Usually make $5 transcribing a 5 minute transcript, Which takes about 15-20 minutes to do)
    QuestionsSwami (writing, grading, editing, website content, mostly hotel reviews and shit)
    Andy K (rewrite a question in your own words, .10 usually take only a matter of seconds, hundreds of them in 1 hit, so when he does post them, you can knock out better than $20 an hour.)
    Also I have never had a problem with any of the research studies. 10-15 minutes of work (mostly just a short survey) Most pay pretty well, $1-5 but most around $2.50

And the more work you do and the better you do it, the higher they will up your qualification scores, which means for requesters like castingwords, you can do better less mind numbing jobs that pay better. Like editing transcripts. Sometimes ones come up to edit a 15 minute transcript ( has a short time limit) and they will pay $20.

Also you have to stay on top of it, first come first served.
    edited February 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    Yes, for the most part. Go to turkopticon and get the firefox extension so you can see the ratings and reviews of the requesters. There are scammers from time to time that will take your work, reject it, and not pay you. But Amazon still lets them keep your work. GAY

In thousands of hits I've completed though, I only have 1 rejection, and that was my own fault.

Couple good requesters:
    Castingwords (If you have good headphones and can type fast, Usually make $5 transcribing a 5 minute transcript, Which takes about 15-20 minutes to do)
    QuestionsSwami (writing, grading, editing, website content, mostly hotel reviews and shit)
    Andy K (rewrite a question in your own words, .10 usually take only a matter of seconds, hundreds of them in 1 hit, so when he does post them, you can knock out better than $20 an hour.)
    Also I have never had a problem with any of the research studies. 10-15 minutes of work (mostly just a short survey) Most pay pretty well, $1-5 but most around $2.50

And the more work you do and the better you do it, the higher they will up your qualification scores, which means for requesters like castingwords, you can do better less mind numbing jobs that pay better. Like editing transcripts. Sometimes ones come up to edit a 15 minute transcript ( has a short time limit) and they will pay $20.

Also you have to stay on top of it, first come first served.
    Thanks for the tips. I just completed 3 HITs and had one completed ($0.01).

I'm gonna have to check out the transcribing ones. :cool:

How much have you made in total?

nvm, site sucks. :(
  • JackJack Regular
    edited February 2011
    I did a couple of insurance interview transcriptions for SpeechInk through MTurk and I'm now waiting to see if they get approved before I do anything else for them. Will report.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips. I just completed 3 HITs and had one completed ($0.01).

I'm gonna have to check out the transcribing ones. :cool:

How much have you made in total?

nvm, site sucks. :(

Why, what happened?

There are very few $0.01 ones that are any good, and stand a decent chance of making you decent money.

Q- How much have I made?

A- working for an hour or 2 a day for months, anywhere between $10-30 a day, $400-600 a month. Obviously if I spent more time I could make a lot more.

At first it's hard to make much, till you get the hang of it. Sort them by ones you are qualified for, and highest paid.

Then just start doing them and not wasting time sorting through them.
    I did a couple of insurance interview transcriptions for SpeechInk through MTurk and I'm now waiting to see if they get approved before I do anything else for them. Will report.

SpeechInk is cool, you know if you didn't do at least a halfway decent job they will reject them right?

If you aren't that great at typing and can read quickly, their's and CastingWords grading ones are good, you'll end up making a bit less an hour though.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh and when you are doing the transcriptions, always make sure you follow the requesters style guide. They will knock money off for poor quality, and may even reject it if it's too far off.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I did a decent job on them. I know for sure my spelling is perfect, as well as the other parts of grammar, except perhaps for some subjective ideals of comma placement, etc. I followed the style guide as best I could. It's a lot easier than most transcription is for me as it's verbatim, so I mostly just have to make sure to get EVERYTHING, which isn't as hard for me as worrying about editing the text into the company's desired format. I scored a 90 on the test file and every error marked was debatable.

Also, http://jack.is/typist/
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    Jack wrote: »
    Yeah, I did a decent job on them. I know for sure my spelling is perfect, as well as the other parts of grammar, except perhaps for some subjective ideals of comma placement, etc. I followed the style guide as best I could. It's a lot easier than most transcription is for me as it's verbatim, so I mostly just have to make sure to get EVERYTHING, which isn't as hard for me as worrying about editing the text into the company's desired format. I scored a 90 on the test file and every error marked was debatable.

Also, http://jack.is/typist/

Well shit, I'm happy it's working out for you.
  • edited February 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    I've gotten somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 from Andy K. alone working on slow nights.

Yeah he is a good requester, I hate to say it here, but even if you do a shit job he will still pay you.

Also once you make over $600 off a single requester, you have to pay taxes on it. They 1099? you. Just FYI.

ALSO, the best times to work are on weekdays during the day, most people just do it for extra cash, so the normal times when people are off work aren't good. All the good Hits seem to get raped pretty quick.
  • uofmcamarouofmcamaro Regular
    edited February 2011
    Hellz-Fury wrote: »
    ChaCha.com

It's not surveys, it's sorta like an actual job.

I do it.

Does it pay well?

I used to love to use chacha through texts but it got to where I would ask a question and would get 10 survey texts before I got an answer.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    uofmcamaro wrote: »
    Does it pay well?

I used to love to use chacha through texts but it got to where I would ask a question and would get 10 survey texts before I got an answer.

Not really as well as mturk.com can pay if you put in the effort.
    edited February 2011
    Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

The following is a summary of activity for your Mechanical Turk account for the week ending Feb 26, 2011.

Your HIT activity for this week:
    - Number of HITs submitted: 24

Approvals and payments that occurred this week:
    - Number of HITs approved: 4
    - Number of HITs rejected: 0
    - HIT reward earned: $0.26
    - Total Amount earned this week: $0.26
    :facepalm:
  • JackJack Regular
    edited February 2011
    Your HIT Status  (What's this?) 	
    Date 	Submitted 	Approved 	Rejected 	Pending 	Earnings 
    Today 	1	0	0	1	$0.00
    Feb 25, 2011 	8	3	0	5	$3.02

edited February 2011
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm giving MTurk a go. Will update in another hour or two as far as ease of use for someone just starting with it.

Edit: Ok, it's fairly simple to use. Some approvals can take a little while. Start with lower paying HITs first to get the hang of things. Some of them can be completed in seconds, so it shouldn't be hard to make some decent spare cash.
  • lazybumlazybum Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    Alot of these sites work but they don't have a good credibility rating
    like you wont always get paid for the hits you get or the adds u do
    kinda sporadic and wastes a lot of time
    unless ur a genius and invents some kinda program to do it for u
    I'd just get a real job,
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    lazybum wrote: »
    Alot of these sites work but they don't have a good credibility rating
    like you wont always get paid for the hits you get or the adds u do
    kinda sporadic and wastes a lot of time
    unless ur a genius and invents some kinda program to do it for u
    I'd just get a real job,

Reading comprehension FTW.

Amazon has a great "credibility rating", Not one of those read our ads or do our survey for money things. Also the whole point is it is jobs that a computer can not do. Things that are too subjective, choices and shit that a computer just can't make.
  • lazybumlazybum Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    true, amazon is one of the better sites that do have good credit
    but when things go wrong, you're the one that's held liable and at times
    Amazon will be the neutral party that will not support you
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited March 2011
    Back when MTurk was new, they would dump thousands of hits where all you had to do was identify an album cover. It was easy because in most cases it said everything you needed to know right there and the hits paid sometimes up to 7 or 8 cents each. You could really crank them out I got $200 in a week once just fucking around for a few minutes at a time. Those days are gone though. Long gone.
  • SpeedbagsSpeedbags Regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't tried it yet, but I found a site a few months ago called freelancers.com or something like that. You basically scanned job offers and would bid on the job, typically the lowest bidder would get the job and you could ask for a down payment and stuff. It looked pretty legit, I might give it a try soon.
  • xyzxyz New Arrival
    edited March 2011
    I've made $53 in the past few weeks doing minimal part time work for mturk.com
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    xyz wrote: »
    I've made $53 in the past few weeks doing minimal part time work for mturk.com

:thumbsup:
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited March 2011
    Speedbags wrote: »
    I haven't tried it yet, but I found a site a few months ago called freelancers.com or something like that. You basically scanned job offers and would bid on the job, typically the lowest bidder would get the job and you could ask for a down payment and stuff. It looked pretty legit, I might give it a try soon.
    I forgot about that one. The site is legit, but of course you still need to be on your toes with the individuals you work for. I'm not sure if the site has any kind of backup or rules in place to help you keep from getting ripped off.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited March 2011
    :confused: I went to freelancers.com and it's just a bunch of fucking spammy search results.
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited March 2011
    Jack wrote: »
    :confused: I went to freelancers.com and it's just a bunch of fucking spammy search results.
    That must not be the right url then. There's a site with a name similar to that and it's supposed to be legit. Or maybe it's gone now.
  • spinkyspinky Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for these, I'm going to give a few of those mentioned sites a try.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited March 2011
    These are pretty cool but I don't see how you can make a living wage at these things. Especially on the freelance sites, it's all people wanting significant work done for bullshit wages, like "lolhay I'll give you a dollar to do four audio minutes of transcription" which works out to shit hourly.
  • edited March 2011
    Agreed....the Amazon Mturk one in particular looks completely not worth it. Most of them are pennies with estimates in the hour range....you'd make more money reselling bulk-purchased jewlery on Amazon or Ebay or a website of your own.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited May 2011
    I've never found one of these sites that you could actually make money on. I'll try out mturk, I'm usually on the internet for hours, stuck with nothing to do. Might as well try to make some monies.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited May 2011
    zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=165973

Looks like Textbroker is worth the time, especially if you get into the 4-star rating and get the better-paying assignments. 5-star is big money, but you have to be hand-picked for that.
    edited May 2011
    I've worked for Textbroker for the past 2 years. I've written about 140 articles and have been paid about $800 from them.

There are barely any 3-star articles on there anymore as that's where most writers are at. However, the last time I was on, there was over 1000 4-star articles available. Direct orders are where the real money's at. You set your own rate for them.

Demand Studios pays $15 per article, but they are very strict on their writing style.

Constant Content allows you to take orders AND put up your own articles for sale, either full rights or usage rights.

I just found this site yesterday that uses a Facebook app and pays the next day through Paypal. I've already been paid $1.20 for about 5 minutes of work.
    I literally had to Google .edu sites about a certain topic and post 3 links and that's it. $.30 for a minute's time.

The site is Cloud Crowd.

They have articles available for $6 per article and translation work for like $20! It seems pretty cool so far.

I gave up on Mturk a long time ago and still ChaCha when I'm bored. It's ok, but I only make like $6 an hour doing it. :S

Check out Fiverr if you have a skill you'd sell for $5. I see people offering to write a single article for $5 on there all the time and there's plenty of work.
  • visitor100visitor100 Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    There are a lot. You just need to be careful in selecting since there are lots that are scam sites. Been scammed twice.

I've been working in an outsourcing site which is legitimate. Its name is odesk. There are actually more than just odesk, like elance, freelancer, guru, etc. These sites are legitimate so you don't have to worry about it. A guaranteed work means a guaranteed payment. For more info about these sites you can try reading odesk reviews so you'll get ideas about how they work.