Firefights let home burn to the ground over $75

1357913579 Death Cog Machine
edited October 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Firefighters in rural Tennessee let a home burn to the ground last week because the homeowner hadn't paid a $75 fee.

Gene Cranick of Obion County and his family lost all of their possessions in the Sept. 29 fire, along with three dogs and a cat.

"They could have been saved if they had put water on it, but they didn't do it," Cranick told MSNBC's Keith Olbermann.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life

Anyone else find this disgusting?

The owner either forgot, or didn't pay a $75 yearly fee, so fire fighters just let his home burn. Even though he offered to pay them whatever they wanted.
"They put water out on the fence line out here. They never said nothing to me. Never acknowledged. They stood out here and watched it burn," Cranick said.

They even showed up later to put out their neighbors fence, which the fire had spread to.
After the blaze, South Fulton police arrested one of Cranick's sons, Timothy Allen Cranick, on an aggravated assault charge, according to WPSD-TV, an NBC station in Paducah, Ky.

Police told WPSD that the younger Cranick attacked Fire Chief David Wilds at the firehouse because he was upset his father's house was allowed to burn.

No shit, I'm sure I would have done the same. They had the equipment, they even showed up, but didn't bother to help this family. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would have said "Fuck it, I'm going there anyways".

Their logic for not helping the family after they offered whatever the firefighters wanted?
South Fulton's mayor said that the fire department can't let homeowners pay the fee on the spot, because the only people who would pay would be those whose homes are on fire.

Goddamn. What happened to human decency?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    On one hand I'm inclined to say it was a dick move by the firefighters. On the other hand, you don't pay for services, you shouldn't receive them. I think on paper they did the right thing, but as people they failed.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
    There's a separate firefighter fee? I thought cities used sales tax to pay for that. WTF
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited October 2010
    Hooray for bureaucracy! It's so good to see regulations and procedures finally replacing our need for common sense!
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    Those motherfuckers should have to pay for what was lost in the fire. Whatever happened to being decent.
  • edited October 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    There's a separate firefighter fee? I thought cities used sales tax to pay for that. WTF

The house was outside of the city limits
  • edited October 2010
    Hooray for bureaucracy! It's so good to see regulations and procedures finally replacing our need for common sense!

The mayor has a point though, people would only pay when their houses are on fire and it costs more than $75 to put out a fire. The idea is, the $75 per year per house adds up when there are no fires, like insurance. If they only pay $75 a fire the department has to pay to put them out.
    edited October 2010
    The house was outside of the city limits

Ah, reading would have been a good idea. I didn't know such a fee even existed. Well, that sucks. They could have just charged the people an assload.
    edited October 2010
    In a really fucked up way this story is kinda funny. Like really your not going to put it out man it's fucking burning to the ground.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited October 2010
    I don't see anything wrong with it.
    edited October 2010
    The mayor has a point though, people would only pay when their houses are on fire and it costs more than $75 to put out a fire. The idea is, the $75 per year per house adds up when there are no fires, like insurance. If they only pay $75 a fire the department has to pay to put them out.

So instead of simply sending them a bill they just say"fuck you" and let your house burn down and your pets die in a fire. Great.
  • edited October 2010
    So instead of simply sending them a bill they just say"fuck you" and let your house burn down and your pets die in a fire. Great.

You're thinking like a person here. Try thinking like a business.
    edited October 2010

I'd rather not.
  • edited October 2010
    I'd rather not.

I sure am glad you aren't my employer.
  • LMSLMS Regular
    edited October 2010
    Exactly, because the house was not in the city limit, the firefighters could and were treating their services as a business. With any business, if you don't pay for the goods, then you receive nothing.

I highly doubt that this man "forgot" to pay the fee. Instead he completely disregarded the notice or did not put it on his important bills to pay, like upgrading his cable to catch NASCAR. I will admit, I did the same last winter. I had a large propane bill that I kept putting off to pay, as I did not want to take the money out of my savings at the time and then forget about it. Middle of winter hits and there is no heat in my basement. I call the company up and they tell me that due to not receiving any type of payment for 4 months and being overdue, they did not deliver any propane to me. I could either pay the bill in full with an surcharge of over $120 and they would come out that day or mail my check in, and wait for the next delivery. I did the second, and had to wait a week and a half. I took responsibility for my actions, not bitched about not getting what I "deserved". And I have never been late on a payment since.

That, is what is wrong with the majority of Americans. Many think that they deserve this and that in life, without wanting to take responsibility or doing the work. Instead of trying to make changes now how the firefighters operate in his county, I am sure now this man will try to sue.
    edited October 2010

Is it only the fire department that does this? Or can ambulances do the same thing?
  • LMSLMS Regular
    edited October 2010
    Is it only the fire department that does this? Or can ambulances do the same thing?

I am pretty sure that with ambulances, they always come out, but the coverage and what comes out of your pocket depends on your health care insurance (in the US).
    edited October 2010
    I sure am glad you aren't my employer.

That makes two of us.
  • edited October 2010
    That makes two of us.

I sure am glad you aren't my imam
    edited October 2010

Next week: Paramedics leave child to bleed to death in street because parents didn't pay taxes.
  • edited October 2010
    By your thinking hotels with empty rooms should have to let homeless in, and provide a service without being compensated.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited October 2010
    Sorry ass bastards. What would they have done if there were people in the home dying??
    That's fucked up.
    edited October 2010
    By your thinking hotels with empty rooms should have to let homeless in, and provide a service without being compensated.

There's a difference between a public service and a business, retard.
  • edited October 2010
    There's a difference between a public service and a business, retard.
    The difference is that one has a motive of making money by providing a service, while the other has a motive of simply providing a service. Neither can provide a service without being compensated for it, jewnose.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited October 2010
    The difference is that one has a motive of making money by providing a service, while the other has a motive of simply providing a service. Neither can provide a service without being compensated for it, jewnose.
    Public services are also sponsored by the government and given a shitton of money.

Most services are usually involved in scams and report high taxes.
  • edited October 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Public services are also sponsored by the government and given a shitton of money.

Most services are usually involved in scams and report high taxes.

Q: And how does the government get money?
    A: It charges people outside city limits $75 for fire response!
    edited October 2010
    Would've been hilarious if he had kids that died. Would have caused a shitstorm.
    edited October 2010

Look at my example above of and ambulance crew leaving a child to bleed to death because her parents didn't pay taxes. You're saying that you'd be ok with that?
  • edited October 2010
    Look at my example above of and ambulance crew leaving a child to bleed to death because her parents didn't pay taxes. You're saying that you'd be ok with that?

yes
    edited October 2010
    yes

ur liek sooooooooo hardcore, how cn i b kewl like u???
  • edited October 2010
    ur liek sooooooooo hardcore, how cn i b kewl like u???

omg lyk all u haf to do is liek understand that services cost the provider capital, fucktard.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
    edited October 2010
    Capitalist scum.
    edited October 2010
    Capitalist scum.

Whats wrong with capitalism? are you a commie? You got something against people working for there money?
    edited October 2010
    Whats wrong with capitalism? are you a commie? You got something against people working for there money?

I have a problem with a fire department standing around with their thumbs up their asses while someones house burns down.
    edited October 2010
    I have a problem with a fire department standing around with their thumbs up their asses while someones house burns down.

So do I actually I was just jumping in at the capitalism thing. But yeah the firefighters were pricks and FATTY is retarded.
    edited October 2010
    So do I actually I was just jumping in at the capitalism thing. But yeah the firefighters were pricks and FATTY is retarded.

I'm not against capitalism in and of itself, just when it gets taken too far like in this situation.
  • edited October 2010
    Well then maybe you can pay for the fire department to put out fires, and for little girls to get medical care.
    edited October 2010
    They should've just fined the guy $1000 or something. That would have paid for the expenses (maybe?). Fining people would be sensible and wouldn't result in the deaths of 3 dogs and a cat and the loss of all the family's possessions. If a kid had died there would have been a huge shitstorm.
    edited October 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    They should've just fined the guy $1000 or something. That would have paid for the expenses (maybe?). Fining people would be sensible and wouldn't result in the deaths of 3 dogs and a cat and the loss of all the family's possessions. If a kid had died there would have been a huge shitstorm.

Exactly.
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited October 2010
    Firefighters did eventually show up, but only to fight the fire on the neighboring property, whose owner had paid the fee.

fucking owned :D

yea it's fucked up, and the firefighters are all pieces of shit to do this, but this is what happens when you live out in the middle of nowhere. it's a risk, because you don't always have big brother there to protect you.

maybe the locals of this little area will be motivated to work out a better system now.
    edited October 2010
    omg lyk all u haf to do is liek understand that services cost the provider capital, fucktard.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

sometimes I expect the provider, being a compassionate human being, to sacrifice his precious fucking capital to save a dying child. or a burning house.
    edited October 2010
    sometimes I expect the provider, being a compassionate human being, to sacrifice his precious fucking capital to save a dying child. or a burning house.

Plus it's not even like 75 bucks is that much money I mean come on.
    edited October 2010
    yea I'd bet that there was more to it than the fee, they wanted to spite this guy. "yea this asshole didn't pay his fee for six years, we'll show him. who's bringin' the marshmallows!" the point is they knew what they were doing, and the did it out of meanness. I see this kind of thing every day, on a smaller scale. When you're working for a business and someone tries to take advantage of your business, it's easy to take it personally and go out of your way to fuck over that person.
    edited October 2010

That isn't thinking like a business, communist. We, as capitalists, must be machines. :angry:
    edited October 2010
    of course, how could I forget rule #1 of the business world: profits > people
    edited October 2010
    of course, how could I forget rule #1 of the business world: profits > people

Now you're thinking like a capitalist.:hai:
  • edited October 2010
    Plus it's not even like 75 bucks is that much money I mean come on.
    HEY DUMBASS
    It costs more than $75 dollars to put out a fire. Know how insurance works? By spreading around the costs over time and a large group of people? Same concept.
    edited October 2010
    HEY DUMBASS
    It costs more than $75 dollars to put out a fire. Know how insurance works? By spreading around the costs over time and a large group of people? Same concept.

That's not the point. The point is they only owed 75 bucks and they let the mans house burn up. That is wrong. I know how insurance works so dont play that card what Im saying is theres more important things in life than the dollar. Letting that house burn was wrong you prick and you know it.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    The difference with insurance is that here, the firefighters were there and could've done something. Insurance works after an incident occurs. If the firefighters wanted to bill him full price afterwards, that would've been fine.
    edited October 2010
    well the $75 thing was effectively insurance, "if you pay a monthly fee then we will be there when you need help". but definitely they could have worked out a deal to recuperate their loss, and the homeowner was willing, but they were mean spirited about it and told him no.
    HEY DUMBASS

fuck off
    edited October 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    The difference with insurance is that here, the firefighters were there and could've done something. Insurance works after an incident occurs. If the firefighters wanted to bill him full price afterwards, that would've been fine.

This. Billing people would be a deterrent too. If you don't pay the 75 bucks and they come out, they bill you 2000. That would make people pay, be sensible and still cover their expenses. Their rationale was pretty stupid. "omg no one will pay the small fee!!!" The dumbfucks fail at capitalism because they could've made mad profits by fining the dude :facepalm: