Help with custom computer case

1357913579 Death Cog Machine
edited October 2010 in Tech & Games
Finally got the school's plasma cutter working again, and I was just thinking of how cool a custom computer case would be to cut out on it. Upon googleing it, I found that a company actually uses the same brand/model of cnc machine to make people custom computer cases.

So, now I'm bent on cutting out my own computer case. I'm undecided on whether to use sheet metal or thin aluminum, trying to get everything drawn out in autocad at the moment.

It's going to be a full tower case (24x18x8), trying to optimize airflow, and I want opinions on the design/placement of the fans.

Currently I'm thinking that since heat rises, I should place the PSU on the bottom (unlike most case designs), have air flow into the case from fans on the bottom of the case (There will be spacers so the fans aren't just sucking whatever the case is on top of instead of air) and out through 3 fans on the top of the case.

Here's an isometric view I made in Autocad:

44631171.png

Any design tips that would help with cooling/airflow, please share.

Furthermore, this case will be dedicated to totse. Going to cut out "&TOTSE" and "READ*KNOW*DO" in the side, along with a few other things :D

Comments

• 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited October 2010
    spazz wrote: »
    dont most PSU's blow air out? put HDD's near an out vent they make alota heat.

I like, post pics of the project in progress plz

Mine has a 120mm fan on the bottom that sucks air in and blows it out the back, I was planning on cutting a hole in the bottom panel for the fan to go so it'd suck in air from the outside bottom of the case, and blow it out the back.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited October 2010
    Man if autodesk wasn't giving me problems ATM i could design something kick ass. I'll try to fix it, but what are you trying to accomplish?

The heat rises thing doesn't matter because the air is being circulated by fans. Atmospheric pressure > convection.
    edited October 2010
    Awesome, I got autodesk 09 pro up and running, so if you need anything done just ask.
  • 4206942069 Regular
    edited October 2010
    psu on the bottom, as much shit away from the psu as possible, air exhaust vents on back top and back where the psu usually goes for sideways airflow, air intake on the bottom front blowing over detachable hard drive bay, remote controlled thermite det-pack on hard drives just in case; and you should definitely think about making joke buttons. maybe water will squirt from a hole if someone presses the joke power button

r
    edited October 2010
    Man if autodesk wasn't giving me problems ATM i could design something kick ass. I'll try to fix it, but what are you trying to accomplish?

The heat rises thing doesn't matter because the air is being circulated by fans. Atmospheric pressure > convection.

Ah, I was just thinking it would help. I'm really stuck on what to do, I'm trying to think of the best design for my (currently) air cooled i7 core...so good airflow is a must. I plan on moving to water cooling soon, might be making my own water block with a milling machine.

I was thinking of just going with a full-tower type design, then I saw a few cases by Lian-Li that were more box-shaped, which got me thinking about the most optimal size/shape for cooling.

What would your opinion on this be? continue to go with a full tower?
    42069 wrote: »
    psu on the bottom, as much shit away from the psu as possible, air exhaust vents on back top and back where the psu usually goes for sideways airflow, air intake on the bottom front blowing over detachable hard drive bay, remote controlled thermite det-pack on hard drives just in case; and you should definitely think about making joke buttons. maybe water will squirt from a hole if someone presses the joke power button

Heh, I've read a bit on using thermite specifically for...data erasing...interesting to read about, though anything that I'd need to worry about that much I would do/keep on a flashdrive.

Already thought of buttons that do random shit like that, got a few ideas (Alternate DVD drive open button).

Also probably going to take apart my PSU, make some slots in the side, cut the wires/add in connectors to make it modular, as there are far too many large wires covered in black mesh that I do not use.

Also, I was playing around in autocad 2000 last night and drew the Brotherhood of Steel insignia from Fallout, and cut it out today in thin brass, aluminum and stainless. Worked pretty well, my metalshop teacher decided to base the metals club insignia off of it :)
    edited October 2010
    Why not go for something weird, like a pentagon computer? That'd be pretty cool.

And wow autocad 2000. Heh, here's a working torrent for autodesk '09 pro. It'll be so much better than that dinosaur crap.

It's 4 DVD ISO's; use virtualclonedrive to mount them. I hope you have 10Gb free!
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4158518/Autodesk_Inventor_2009_Professional_DVD_1_4
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4158526/Autodesk_Inventor_2009_Professional_DVD_2_4_inc._32bit_64bit_key
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4172884/Autodesk_Inventor_2009_Professional_DVD_3_4
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4158563/Autodesk_Inventor_2009_Professional_DVD_4_4

In the crack readme there's instructions, but use this serial instead. 348-85943004
    edited October 2010
    :D Perhaps I might do that

Haha, and yeah 2k. It's what our school has in all the engineering classes/the computer hooked to the plasma cutter, I've never found anything wrong with it. Loved how capable it was for how old it is...

I'd torrent it, but I need to go to a friends to do that (YEAHHH DIALUP!), thanks though :D
    edited October 2010
    Wow that's some serious horseshit. Kids are graduating and putting "I can use autocad" on their resumes, and when they get a job and see the decade-advanced program, they dot know wtf to do.

You need to bitch to your school about that. Besides, inventor > autocad. Inventor handles 3D parts so much better.
    edited October 2010
    Hah, that's the least of my worries about my school. They bitched and bitched last year about how they need to save money because they couldn't buy more printer paper, yet they're paying for LCD projectors that a lot of our teachers don't ever use, buying newer computers (Dual core Dells) when the old ones worked fine (Well, they would be fast if it wasn't for all the network VNC-style shit they load on them. It still takes an unnecessary amount of time to do simple tasks, they fail at networking). The internet is heavily censored, eff.org is blocked because it is apparently a "Security.Proxy". Any website that isn't categorized into the filter is automatically blocked as "Unknown". They also pay for a service called Gaggle student email (Unrelated to Google) and block every email website but that one, trying to force students to use it. I don't understand why they pay for it, all it does is give them the ability to censor/read our email at will...kinda fucking creepy. Sorry to go on a bit of a rant here, but my school really makes me rage sometimes.

Ah well. Proxies and VPNs FTW!
    edited October 2010
    Yea my school VPN is full of fail and it takes 7 minutes to logon. The only reason I can think of for it being that slow is they copy all the programs you can use to the hard drive at logon, and delete them at logoff. They also got rid of firefox because it was "insecure" and use IE7. They also reset the registry every time you logon. That means when you start up ie7 you get a shitton of welcome popups, bing is the default search provider, and anti phishing filter asks you if you want to visit every webpage, then google toolbar welcomes attack you. That's why I bring my own computer. Just unplug the ethernet from the shit computer and plug it into yours; fast uncensored untraced internet. And that gaggle thing looks like it's full of fail.