General Chemistry I

metameta Regular
edited July 2010 in Tech & Games
Dear Totse (it feels so good to say that)

I am a Sophomore Medical Technology major and I will be taking my first year of Chemistry next year in the form of General Chemistry I. As I had never had a Chemistry class in my life I have done some intensive studying to try to get acquainted with the subject. I desperately need to make an A in this class. I was wondering what your experiences are with Gen Chem I on the university level. What should I be studying most, what to expect, etc. Any suggestions are welcome, I know that all schools curricula are different, however everything helps.
Thank you guys so much for everything!

-Meta

Comments

• BungHoleBungHole Regular
    edited July 2010
    Bitch, we have a chemistry forum, you know.
  • DrakeDrake Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Principles of Chemical Science (MIT OpenCourseWare)

A great resource for learning something new or reviewing something you used to know: OpenCourseWare Consortium
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
    BungHole wrote: »
    Bitch, we have a chemistry forum, you know.

Sorry about that.
  • BakayarBakayar Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Play, go to the lab and play its the simplist way to learn. Its how I learned electrolisis et al; quite a bit about radiation and general chemical reactions and laws. There was a time where I didn't have to do any balancing equations for predictions -I had to do them, I just mean I had no difficulty- because I had done most of the reactions practically.

You will need one of the professors with you to not only access materials and what not, but to also explain what you're seeing.

Admittedly you can only do this when you're at the university so its a bit of a redundant suggestion now, but keep it in mind.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited July 2010
    KNOW YOUR DIMENSIONAL ANALYSIS. Other than that, the rest is just memorization.
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
    Lethargica wrote: »
    KNOW YOUR DIMENSIONAL ANALYSIS. Other than that, the rest is just memorization.

Dimensional analysis is pretty fucking easy. Hopefully this class will be easier than I thought.