the stockmarket.

blindbatblindbat Regular
edited September 2011 in Life
so i wanna play the stock market . buy shares/stocks and sell. only thing is don't know how to . does any one play the stock market? know how to get in the game?

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited December 2010
    you've gotta have money to make money in the stock market.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited December 2010
    blindbat wrote: »
    so i wanna play the stock market . buy shares and sell. only thing is don't know how to . does any one play the stock market? know how to get in the game?

you are destined to lose.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited December 2010
    i'm willing to lay down sum 500.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited December 2010
    investopedia is a good starting reference to gauge the gravity of the situation.

500 is plausible to the best of my knowledge, but your probably best investing elsewhere prior to trading and actually study trading strategy. Read until your content that stock exchange is anything but a game and your good to go.
  • majeurevismajeurevis Acolyte
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, the simulator in Investopedia, which is http://simulator.investopedia.com, is pretty great. I'm using it to get the hang of things before I invest with Zecco.com. So far, the two stocks I've purchased have made me $438 (in fake money :(). Hecla Mining (symbol: HL) has seen a 21.39% gain in the past two weeks I've opened my account, and Ishares Silver Trust (symbol: SLV) has seen a 5.53% increase.

Someone on Zoklet mentioned the turtle method, which is probably a good starting point for ya.
  • StocKingStocKing Semo-Regulars
    edited December 2010
    Send me 10k and I will send you 1k a month for 20 months.

This offer expires in 1 week.

- Stock King
    edited December 2010
    StocKing wrote: »

- Stock King

:facepalm: scam
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    StocKing wrote: »

- Stock King

How about you send me some and I will kill your family :)
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    sind me all ur munee and i wil invest it
  • AD2011AD2011 Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    I'd like to put money into shares for a big bank here but I knew that at the end of the day it's just a horse race that lasts longer.

Maybe one day.
  • i<3Shroomsi<3Shrooms Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    The stock market is great! I have been investing steadily over the past year or so... best advice I can give is to read books. Good books. This will give you an idea of the current economic climate, and will allow you to allocate your investment wisely. (Hint: Don't invest long-term in mostly US-dependent entities)

One book I will recommend is "The Little Book Of Bull Moves In Bear Markets" by Peter Schiff. That will get you started in a good direction.

Also, you don't need to have a large sum of money, you just need to choose your companies very wisely, so as to get the most bang for your buck.

Knowledge is power...with enough research you can turn 500 into 10000 in a few years easily... If I had 20 grand to invest, in 2 years I will have at least a quarter million dollars without a doubt. << That is because I research my balls off, and am now "in the know" on some absolutely golden opportunities.

Do not wait. Read, and go get your feet wet. And another tip: Don't let emotions sweep you up when you got cash in your brokerage account... that's how headaches are created. <--You will learn that lesson firsthand, even if you take my advice now. I did the same. Lost about 340 I didnt have to, but its all good It will come back...but I could have that $$$ in other stocks or some more cash on hand right now. :facepalm:

Good luck!
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    $500? You can buy 4/5 of a google share.
  • i&lt;3Shroomsi&lt;3Shrooms Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    $500? You can buy 4/5 of a google share.
    This is an example of unwise investing. :facepalm:
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    i<3Shrooms wrote: »
    This is an example of unwise investing. :facepalm:

It was obviously a joke. :mad:
    edited January 2011
    It was obviously a joke. :mad:
    Oh... I figured as much, but I decided to use your post as an example. I helped make it contributive! :hai:
  • leavethefunleavethefun Semo-Regulars
    edited January 2011
    I agree with the above poster, find the classic books and read them. Start with the greats like How to Make Money in Stocks by William O'Neil and Reminiscences of a Stock Operator about Jesse Livermore.

I started about 7 years ago and just now am I able to consistently trade to make money. It's the hardest easy thing you will ever try.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited February 2011
    I really want to fuck your wife.
  • starfox223starfox223 Regular
    edited March 2011
    I really want to fuck your wife.

The fuck?
  • starfox223starfox223 Regular
    edited March 2011
    Btw now adays if you want to make money in the stock market, youll need shitload of start up.
  • mynicknamemynickname Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    I too have gained an interest in wanting to start in the stocks, but am only putting in 200 to start in stocks that seem to be on the level, to try to gain some, and then plan on taking riskier endeavors in up and coming companies
  • edited March 2011
    Seconding the avoiding-emotions part. The markets go up and down all the time in response to short-term events....learn to suck it up and take advantage of it. Buy when nobody has anything good to say about anything and sell when nobody has anything bad to say. Just don't sell too soon. It's usually better to hang on than not.
    edited April 2011
    were you anally raped when you were 15? are u a chink like chinkberry? tits or gtfo?
    edited April 2011
    I've been day trading since 1998 (15). I've got a lot of knowledge gleaned from painful experience, ask me anything. I don't give tips, though.
    Do you have any kind of system or ritual in place yet for researching and deciding whether new up and coming companies are a worthy investment?
  • tachosomozatachosomoza Regular
    edited April 2011
    i<3Shrooms wrote: »
    Do you have any kind of system or ritual in place yet for researching and deciding whether new up and coming companies are a worthy investment?

I don't invest, I trade. There's a difference. Traders are in for the short term, while investors are in for the long haul. I don't really mess with IPOs because they're extremely volatile.
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited May 2011
    Do you have any kind of system or ritual in place yet for researching and deciding whether new up and coming companies are worthy trades?

What indicators do you look for to find a valuable trading opportunity?

Thanks for your responses :)
    edited September 2011
    so i've been playing the investopedia simulator
    as of today;
    account value:$107,705.86 (which is down today)

my portfolio VS S&P 500

Today
    0.09%(down) 1.22% (Down)
    Week
    0.09%(down) 1.22% (Down)
    Month
    3.00%(down) 3.75% (Down)
    Quarter
    1.21%(up) 13.07% (Down)
    Year to Date
    7.71%(up) 7.43% (Down)

stocky.jpg

FUCK YOU GENTEX AND AMD ! YOU GUYZ SUCK!
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2011
    I suck at that game :(. Care to link it?
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited September 2011
    a "successful" day trader( which is quite an oxymoron) makes little to no profit and is at huge risk in losing his cash pool because day traders really invest by the off chance that it will increase so they can sell. In the end, you are only gambling with pennies. There are people out there who invest millions and millions of dollars in stocks and is ready to take hits and casualties in the short term, and is expected a huge return in the long run......

...and here you are, playing around with 500 bucks
  • mandingomandingo Regular
    edited September 2011
    pretty sure and " all your base belongs to us" fits in this thread
  • edited September 2011
    Lethargica wrote: »
    a "successful" day trader( which is quite an oxymoron) makes little to no profit and is at huge risk in losing his cash pool because day traders really invest by the off chance that it will increase so they can sell. In the end, you are only gambling with pennies. There are people out there who invest millions and millions of dollars in stocks and is ready to take hits and casualties in the short term, and is expected a huge return in the long run......

...and here you are, playing around with 500 bucks

Which is why your better off making short term highly speculative trades - catching a smooth 8% a year isnt going to cut it when you play with $500.

But if you can find something oversold, a junior miner with possible tenements to be announced or just a generally undervalued stock you can buy in and possibly make %50 or more over the month IF things go your way.

I trade with alot of small cap stocks, I actually pay money for a stock report from some investment managers in melbourne (well fucking worth it, im in my second year of subscribing and its made me %1000 more than it costs) and most of the time my money is in cash because i just wait for the right opportunities.

I do put some trend riding daytrades on if overall conditions are very clear but generally the small caps are where you get those double and triple digit gains over weeks or a month.

Right now ive been behind a small oil explorer (asx:WHN) thats gone up about %50 in the past 2 weeks - thats 10x better than what a bank will give me in a year.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited September 2011
    That is very impressive! You seem to be very experienced in the stockmarket...however, a day trader is still a day trader...what I mean is that you still make little gains at the end of the day, while at the same time, can potentially lose a huge portion of your money if your stock dips. It's a high risk and offers little reward. There are other options out in the world that offer a better risk to reward ratio..
  • edited September 2011
    Indeed.

Even the big boy pro's and other people rigging the game (and its rigged) lose money from time to time.

In Australia where mining is big its not hard to make returns on juniour miners; they own X millions of tonnes of ore and its sold to china before they start paying people to dig it out of the ground.

Positive cashflow ftw.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    This is a great thread. I've always thought of doing some investing, but maybe when I get more money. It's like gambling, only invest what you can afford to lose. Chap I knew invested into Apple, and made a big dent in his university savings :facepalm:
  • edited September 2011
    This is a great thread. I've always thought of doing some investing, but maybe when I get more money. It's like gambling, only invest what you can afford to lose. Chap I knew invested into Apple, and made a big dent in his university savings :facepalm:

Really? Dent in savings?
    Because over the last 5 years unless you bought and sold during a one month downtrend or the 08 crash it was pretty fucking hard to lose money on apple.
    source: http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/AAPL

Unless you mean he used his money that would of otherwise gone to university.
    Where he would of been paying massive sums of money to be partially brainwashed and take dumbass classes about abstract topics that have no relation, relevance or practical application to reality.

He put his money in a good place.

You can learn all you want about the world for free these days and have more fun outside of a structured environment. Dont saddle yourself with a metric fuckton of university debt when theres not actually a payoff for it.