How to make sparks with foil [Published]

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited April 2011 in Life
Since 98% of you are too damn lazy to follow my other guides, here's one that takes all of 5 minutes to do.

First you need to find a cathode ray tube TV, the bigger the better. Mine is 32".
Now you need some foil and tape.

Step 1: Tape the foil to the TV and press it on the screen. The more screen you cover the better. Then attach a wire, I used a clip lead but any kind of wire will work OK.

LGef1.jpg

Step 2: You'll need an earth ground. Luckily your house supplies one. It is the "D" hole on an american outlet. This is connected to a water pipe and provides a path to ground.

You'll need to connect to that hole somehow, an extension cord works well. I didn't have an extension cord so I used a computer cord. If you use a computer cord the bottommost hole is ground. Stick a wire in there. I used a file and a clip lead.

FaV2Z.jpg

Step 3: Now the fun part. Bring the ground wire close to the wire on the TV, then turn on the TV. You should get a spark! You'll get another when you turn off the TV. My spark as 30,000 volts, but don't worry, it can't kill you; not enough current.

ZeBgI.jpg

How does it do that? well you need to know how a cathode ray tube works. There is a metal screen behind the 1" glass that is charged to about +30,000V. There is also a heated wire in back that makes an electron beam. This positive high voltage attracts the negative electrons.

when you turn on a TV, the high voltage anode is the fist thing to turn on. The heater turns on too, but it takes a few seconds to heat up. That's why you don't see a picture immediately.

For this few seconds that high voltage has nowhere to go and it usually just discharges to the air. That's the staticy sound you hear hen you turn on a TV. Since you have foil there, the HV has a place to go. The tube becomes a capacitor, with the glass as the dielectric.

Energy is stored in the capacitor now, and it needs a path to ground to get out. You supply this via an outlet.

A similar phenomenon happens hen you turn off the TV.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Oh wow, that IS pretty cool. And would take less than 5 minutes to do, perfect :D

Interesting stuff dude, thanks for sharing.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited December 2010
    So do it. :mad:
    edited December 2010
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited December 2010
    haha yea iv done dat b4 lool. i own like 3 of those damd tvs
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I would but i dont have a CRT anymore
    edited December 2010
    Karl Ferdinand Braun is rolling in his grave.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    LOL. No one has ever tried out Katz's cheesy experiments.
    edited January 2011
    FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!! :angry:
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    I dont own a CRT tv anymore :(
  • edited January 2011
    Hah, I don't have one either. I honestly think the only time I have seen a crt screen in the last 3 months is at the somewhat retro arcade I frequent.

When the fuck did that happen? I almost feel like I should put up a tombstone. Crt screens will light cheap hotel rooms and trailer parks for years to come, but I suppose they're pretty much toast. Oh well, it was a good run, in my opinion the most important invention of the 20th century.

C/O
    "Old crt screens never die, they just fade away"
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    It happened from about 2000 or so on with the introduction of plasma and then lcd and now led tvs into the market. Once hdtvs were available, rich people bought them. Then they got ridiculously cheaper in the past 5 years, to the point where the middle class could afford them. We got HD programming on tv in the past few years, and with blu-ray people had an excuse to buy a 1080p tv.

So, it happened fairly recently. Blu-ray still isn't the standard that dvd is, but within the next 2 years hopefully they'll drop in price more to become affordable. As it is good players still cost $150 or so. The cheapest I've seen for shitty players is $50. Once decent players drop to the $70 level, I imagine people will make the switch.
    edited January 2011
    AFAIK Nobody makes crt televisions anymore...

Fuck, my flybacks! NOOOOOOOOO!
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Taken from: Resistance Is Futile
    CMS Status: