Fucking itunes

edited December 2010 in Spurious Generalities
So I plug in my iPod. I see that it needs an update, so I allow it to go through. Minutes later, a little box pops up. "An unknown error occurred" or some shit like that. I take a look at the iPod. Bricked. An itunes update caused it to become completely unresponsive.

What the fuck???

Comments

• AltindAltind Regular
    edited December 2010
    Was your iPod jailbroken? Try plugging in your ipod and clicking restore. If that doesn't work... no idea.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited December 2010
    DFU mode, then install Rockbox.
  • edited December 2010
    DFU mode, then install Rockbox.

I looked online about that. It won't respond to hard resets or DFU (When you hold the home button, then the sleep and home button, then just the home button) mode.

It's totally fucked, and this is a brand new replacement that I got less then three months ago. I have to go see those fucking faggots at the Macintosh store again, only this time it's no longer under warranty.
  • edited December 2010
    Tried restoring it?
  • edited December 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Tried restoring it?

Restore doesn't work because itunes doesn't recognize it.

Reset doesn't work, nor does a hard reset (Watched videos on resetting and all that. Nothing.). It is totally unresponsive, constantly displaying the plug-into-itunes screen. It will turn on and off with the use of the power button, but there is no red slide.

I've been spending a lot of time googling my problem, and I'm pretty sure I've exhausted my options. I have to go to the fucking apple store.

If someone hadn't given me this thing as a fucking gift, I would never have started using iPods again.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited December 2010
    Clearly you are doing it wrong. There is no possible way to break DFU mode.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    I had an ipod shuffle back when they first came out. I had it plugged in to the computer, but it must've not been completely shoved into the usb port, because I tapped it with my hand and the thing literally died. I was all wtf. My comp wouldn't recognize it and there was nothing I could do to fix it. It was :facepalm: that I tapped it and :facepalm: that it died when it wasn't even syncing. I sent it back to apple and they sent me a replacement.
    edited December 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    I had an ipod shuffle back when they first came out. I had it plugged in to the computer, but it must've not been completely shoved into the usb port, because I tapped it with my hand and the thing literally died. I was all wtf. My comp wouldn't recognize it and there was nothing I could do to fix it. It was :facepalm: that I tapped it and :facepalm: that it died when it wasn't even syncing. I sent it back to apple and they sent me a replacement.

LOL I have never met a straight person that uses shuffles.
    edited December 2010
    In 2004 it was the only decent portable mp3 player that was any good for use while running.

also lawl ur gay
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited December 2010
    The zune is better than ipod.
    edited December 2010
    I use a sansa clip+ for its superior sound quality :o
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited December 2010

Fuck yes. Mine never died because of software problems. I'm going to have to get a replacement now, because the jack isn't working properly.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited December 2010
    iTunes has fucked up one of my ipods before too :mad: :mad:
    I never update the one I have now because of that.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited December 2010
    i4 all day bitches.
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited December 2010
    anything is better than ipod.

fxd :mad:

ITUNES BURN IN HELLITUNES BURN IN HELLITUNES BURN IN HELLITUNES BURN IN HELLITUNES BURN IN HELLITUNES BURN IN HELLITUNES BURN IN HELLITUNES BURN IN HELLITUNES BURN IN HELLITUNES BURN IN HELLITUNES BURN IN HELLITUNES BURN IN HELLITUNES BURN IN HELLITUNES BURN IN HELLITUNES
    edited December 2010
    In 2004 it was the only decent portable mp3 player that was any good for use while running.

also lawl ur gay
    Um, I would rather use a CD player than an iPod shuffle.

Also no, I'm not gay.
    ROFL maybe if you're a naive 12 year old girl.
    I use a sansa clip+ for its superior sound quality :o

I'm not sure why I quoted this one.
    edited December 2010
    CD players were worthless for running long distance :facepalm:. People forget how fucking annoying it was to lug around a bunch of CDs and then possibly have them stolen from your car. Yeah, people used to steal cds. Amazing how times change. CD players used to have that bullshit anti-skip feature, and all the good cd players that actually had decent anti-skip were expensive as fuck.

Then we had the mp3 cd players, the ones that could play mp3s burned to cd. No longer did you have albums lasting barely over an hour, you could get 23 hours or so on a cd.

Still all that shit was bulky and horrible for running. If you're so afraid of people thinking you're gay because you are using an mp3 player, you really need to come out of the closet already because it's obvious you're a fag in denial.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited December 2010
    i got a walkman 15 gig. i've never fucked with itunes, so ive never had to bitch about it.
  • SlappySlappy Acolyte
    edited December 2010
    If someone hadn't given me this thing as a fucking gift

Same here. I won mine, but the shit was free so I can't complain. Saved me a hundred bucks or so. Never had any problems with itunes either.
    edited December 2010
    CD players were worthless for running long distance :facepalm:. People forget how fucking annoying it was to lug around a bunch of CDs and then possibly have them stolen from your car. Yeah, people used to steal cds. Amazing how times change. CD players used to have that bullshit anti-skip feature, and all the good cd players that actually had decent anti-skip were expensive as fuck.

Then we had the mp3 cd players, the ones that could play mp3s burned to cd. No longer did you have albums lasting barely over an hour, you could get 23 hours or so on a cd.

Still all that shit was bulky and horrible for running. If you're so afraid of people thinking you're gay because you are using an mp3 player, you really need to come out of the closet already because it's obvious you're a fag in denial.
    Hey, all I said was that I've never met someone who owned an iPod shuffle who wasn't gay.

And oh yeah, because zunes aren't the size of a pack of cigarettes :rolleyes:
    edited December 2010
    I don't have a zune. I have a sansa clip+, and it is, as you can see, small. It's the same height as the shuffle, 2/3 the length, and only slightly wider. It also accepts microSDHC cards up to 32gb, making it a cheap 40gb mp3 player that'll also play .ogg and .flac.

P1000256.JPG
    edited December 2010
    I don't have a zune. I have a sansa clip+, and it is, as you can see, small. It's the same height as the shuffle, 2/3 the length, and only slightly wider. It also accepts microSDHC cards up to 32gb, making it a cheap 40gb mp3 player that'll also play .ogg and .flac.

P1000256.JPG

CHEAP? A 32 gig microSDHC card plus the cost of the MP3 player makes it expensive enough that buying an 80 gig iPod off ebay would be the better way to go.
    edited December 2010
    ipods from ebay = shit

Pop in a 16gb card then. Here's a sandisk one for $27.99
    http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-MicroSDHC-Memory-SDSDQ-016G-A11M-Package/dp/B001F6YRNO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1293077323&sr=1-2

24gb player for under $80.

Ipod nanos, 8 gb for $149, 16gb for $179:
    http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

Ipod classic: 160gb for $250
    http://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/

So you can spend a shitton more, or get a sweet player with great sound quality and battery life for $50 and triple the memory to 24gb total for a total cost of $80.
  • edited December 2010
    I need to stop being a fuckhead and use MP3 players that take SD cards.

Then again, I bet that this wealthy motherfucker is going to gift me another 64gb iPod. I'll have to sell it and risk seeming like a dick for not using it.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited December 2010
    I bet that this wealthy motherfucker is going to gift me another 64gb iPod.

Put rockbox on it.