Filthy ass fridge

HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
edited December 2010 in Spurious Generalities
So I just picked my dorm fridge up from my mom's and found out my old room mate apparently left food in it, so it's been sitting for over a year, unplugged, with something in it. As you can imagine, it smells awful, and I would like to know the quickest, most efficient way to clean it.

Comments

• KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited December 2010
    Lots of sodium hypochlorite.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited December 2010
    step:
    1. gloves
    2. trash can.
    3. get a hose and/or buckets of water
    4. lysol and bleach
    5. take it outside preferably the ally.
    6. start take it everything and dump it in the trash.
    7. now that its empty and the racks are set a side
    8. hose the mother fuker from a safe distance , inside n out. if you dont have a hose , just dump buckets of water in it.
    9. Lysol : spray inside , then bleach : get towel n bucket , add lots of bleach in bucket of water , dip towel and scrub inside.
    10. hose it , or dump buckets of water.

then :fap::fap::fap::fap: after a hard days work.
    edited December 2010
    Bleach and ammonia.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited December 2010
    blindbat wrote: »
    step:
    1. gloves
    2. trash can.
    3. get a hose and/or buckets of water
    4. lysol and bleach
    5. take it outside preferably the ally.
    6. start take it everything and dump it in the trash.
    7. now that its empty and the racks are set a side
    8. hose the mother fuker from a safe distance , inside n out. if you dont have a hose , just dump buckets of water in it.
    9. Lysol : spray inside , then bleach : get towel n bucket , add lots of bleach in bucket of water , dip towel and scrub inside.
    10. hose it , or dump buckets of water.

then :fap::fap::fap::fap: after a hard days work.

It's winter, and I don't have an alley.
    edited December 2010
    edited December 2010

Ugh. I was hoping to get by without using bleach.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited December 2010
    I think just about any type of cleaner would clean it good and fairly quickly. I would just be trying to avoid the smell while cleaning it, in which I would hold my nose with my hand or a clothes pin

For any spots that wont wipe away with bleach, surface cleaners, etc. try using Goo Gone.
    edited December 2010
    duuude wrote: »
    For any spots that wont wipe away with bleach, surface cleaners, etc. try using ether starting fluid

You will never find a better cleaner.
    edited December 2010
    I think just about any type of cleaner would clean it good and fairly quickly. I would just be trying to avoid the smell while cleaning it, in which I would hold my nose with my hand or a clothes pin

For any spots that wont wipe away with bleach, surface cleaners, etc. try using Goo Gone.

At first glance it didn't look bad, it just smelled like fucking shit.
  • edited December 2010
    Only problem is when you have finished cleaning, your fridge is going to stink of bleach or whatever else you use to clean it with. I suggest airing that shit out afterwards for a good day or so, outside, with the door open.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited December 2010
    Lemon juice is awesome for teh smell neutraliser.
  • edited December 2010
    Take it outside, spray it with a hose/pressure washer, fill it with cleaning chemicals and scrub that shit with steel wool.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I hear pics help to clean it ;)
    edited December 2010
    Take it outside, spray it with a hose/pressure washer, fill it with cleaning chemicals and scrub that shit with steel wool.
    Once again, it is WINTER and I don't have a hose.
    Unload a can of Febreze in that bitch and just fill it with bleach and let it sit overnight :o Or go with what Blindbat said because that sounds like the best method so far.
    See above.
    RemadE wrote: »
    I hear pics help to clean it ;)
    I don't have a camera, but I can tell you right now that it looks fine, it just smells like shit. When my wife leaves I'm going to tackle it with bleach, then let it sit for about an hour, then hit it with bleach again, plug it in, let it get cold, and probably hit it one more time with bleach, put a box of baking soda in it, and call it a day.
  • edited December 2010
    I would definitely air it out after the bleach treatments, for at least a few hours, then dump a box of baking soda into some warm water, soak some paper towels in it and plaster them to as many surfaces as you can. Then close it up overnight and wipe it out the next day. Plastic is porous, and it will take a lot of time for anything it has absorbed to come out.
    C/O
    "dude, this fridge smells like POO!"
    edited December 2010
    Well, I got the first wave of bleach in it, and as soon as I get my animal crossing save extracted will then hit it with another wave.
    edited December 2010
    As I went to put the second bleach in, I noticed the "dirt" was actually MOLD growing all over the inside. Is this even still safe to use? I cleaned everything I could get to (I know there is still more in the fridge).
  • edited December 2010
    Should be alright as long as you remove all of the mold spores. Use that bleach like a motherfucker, give it some disinfecting and a good rinse to finish it all off.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited December 2010
    As I went to put the second bleach in, I noticed the "dirt" was actually MOLD growing all over the inside. Is this even still safe to use? I cleaned everything I could get to (I know there is still more in the fridge).

i would say go and get ammonia and clean the fuker inch x inch with a metal scrub thinggy
    edited December 2010
    ^^I'm going to ONLY keep soda in it for a month or two and clean it weekly and hopefully make it inhabitable for mold.
  • TCO420TCO420 Regular
    edited December 2010
    Buy a new one
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited December 2010
    It's winter

Store your food outside.
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited December 2010
    TCO420 wrote: »
    Buy a new one

This.

Or sanitise it with a flamethrower...
    edited December 2010
    I can't afford a new one right now. For just keeping soda cool this one should be okay.
  • edited December 2010
    You will never find a better cleaner.

Dude, we're cleaning a fridge.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited December 2010
    Helladamnleet, have you had it unplugged? I've always heard after you leave a used fridge unplugged for awhile it's usually gonna smell like shit anyways until you clean it and plug it back up.

Also I don't think the mold will be problem, just clean it.
    edited December 2010
    Helladamnleet, have you had it unplugged? I've always heard after you leave a used fridge unplugged for awhile it's usually gonna smell like shit anyways until you clean it and plug it back up.

Also I don't think the mold will be problem, just clean it.

Yeah, it was unplugged in my mom's basement for the last year.