Windows

edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
The Windows series of operating systems is the worst I have ever used.

Never once in my life have I owned or used a Windows computer that didn't fuck up, have problems or cause me aggravation or misfortune in some way. Windows is and has been a god-awful piece of shit of an OS.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    While I largely agree, I often use Windows for gaming as Linux + gaming sucks balls. I'm currently dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux (soon to be a better Linux distro, I'm fed up with Ubuntu -suggestions anyone?). Windows does suck though, it's annoying.
  • edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    While I largely agree, I often use Windows for gaming as Linux + gaming sucks balls. I'm currently dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux (soon to be a better Linux distro, I'm fed up with Ubuntu -suggestions anyone?). Windows does suck though, it's annoying.

It's incapable of the simplest shit. It cannot turn off on it's own (The power button must be held down until it shuts down), it cannot open or close programs on it's own about 40% of the time, it cannot properly complete an installation, task manager does not work (In that "End Task" does not end tasks. I have to manually restart each time), programs fail randomly, etc.

I've come to realize that windows is just poorly designed and put together. Windows is what you get when you design an OS by committee. Everybody got their say as to where their code would go and what it would be connected with and all that shit, and the result is that the design doesn't make sense, and that everything is tangled and fucked.

EDIT: And now I hear that Microsoft shares the contents of your computer with law enforcement... :facepalm:
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited January 2011
    its all about how you configure it. im running a clean version of windows 7 and have never had any problems. i keep the programs that are open at a minimum when gaming, doing audio work, photoshop, etc and it runs smooth. i have never had any of the problems you have encountered. part of it is the software, but software is only as powerful as your hardware.
  • edited January 2011
    Jesus, it may be a bad OS but my installation of Windows 7 is running smooth and sweetly. No problems at all in the areas which you mentioned.

Have you tried a fresh install, keeping out all the crap from your system? And a defrag and optimize helps once in a while.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    I've used Windows all my life and have none of the complaints you do. They're quite trivial and just a matter of 'you have no patience,' like this:
    It cannot turn off on it's own (The power button must be held down until it shuts down)

Then hold it down for a bit. Just a second ago, you were connected to the modern marvel that is the internet. You were connected to the entire world from your own home. You didn't even need to change out of your tank top and short shorts to have civilised interaction with people. All this wonderment out there and you fuss about having to press a power button :facepalm:

That aside, it does turn off on its own. All of my PCs turn off if I just tap the power button. There's also the 'Shut Down' button in the Start Menu.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    If you don't like Windows, quit using it. There are several good alternatives. IMO winodows 7 is the best desktop operating system available right now, free or paid, but if that's not your opinion, use something else.

I find it quite annoying people always go bashing Windows but keep using it. They sit in front of their computer cursing out Windows, Microsoft, Bill Gates etc. but they're too lazy to switch. If you ask them why they're still using it it's mostly because windows works best and has a very large plug-and-play factor. Must be a pretty good operating system to keep all those people tied to it even though they can spend hours talking about how shitty it is, don'tcha think?

@ TRX100: read this: http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=8945
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    You have to HOLD the power button? Start > Shutdown. Holy shit, it shuts down with two clicks. You fail.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited January 2011
    The only Windows I ever bought was Windows 95 which back in the day was pretty decent for its time. Can't do Linux because I refuse to go back to command line and how it's geared waaaaay towards power users, don't got the time to fucking relearn that shit in my adult life. Small differences are what turn me off about Linux. Fuck Mac and their OSX, period.

I actually haven't had any problems with either Vista or Windows 7 and I go weeks without restarts and full stability and all that Linux broohah. Only reason I do restart once every week or two is out of old 10 year old habits.
  • edited January 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    You have to HOLD the power button? Start > Shutdown. Holy shit, it shuts down with two clicks. You fail.

3:07- Start > Shutdown

3:10- Still shutting down

3:14- Still shutting down

3:17- BSOD

3:18- Computer reboots rather than turning off

After logging in, it says that it recovered from an unexpected shutdown.

That worked, fangly.

Like I said, the only way to shut it down is to hold down the power button until it abruptly turns off.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    I've had some difficulties with XP being vulnerable to EVERYTHING. but Vista fixed that up. Despite its sluggishness, it's successor seems to be doing extremely. Like everything, it has its glitches and faults but it's stable.

Perhaps you just have a shitty computer or it needs maintenance. Consider upgrading.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Sounds like it's your computer that's gone to shit, not the OS.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    LSA King wrote: »
    I actually haven't had any problems with either Vista or Windows 7 and I go weeks without restarts and full stability and all that Linux broohah. Only reason I do restart once every week or two is out of old 10 year old habits.

This. On Vista the occasional restart once a week or so was necessary to keep the system from slowing down, on Seven I never restart unless it's necessary for updates / app installs. Always hybernate.
  • edited January 2011
    Why haven't you formatted yet?
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    1. Get a job
    2. Make $500
    3. Buy new computer

There you go. If your computer cannot shut down properly, it's worthless. Get a new i3/i5 laptop with Win 7.

Register on slickdeals.net
    Go here to their hot deals forum: http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?sduid=419604&f=9

Click "system" at the bottom, and search for laptop/desktop deals. I got a laptop with core i5-430m, 4gb DDR3, 320gb hdd, Blu-Ray ROM for $500 + tax.

Oh, and mine shuts down in 2 clicks and runs with no problems.