I'm looking to buy a handgun in California

My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
edited February 2011 in Man Cave
I've been looking over gunbroker.com for well priced Smith and Wesson m-629 .44 magnum revolver.
I have never owned a gun, and the little I know about the laws around them has come from researching it the last few weeks.

I'm about a week and a half away from being 23, and I only need to be 21 to own a handgun.
I apparently need to pass a test to get a handgun license--this is California state enforced, I believe.
I'll need to arrange a local dealer to receive the gun, prior to purchase.

So am I missing anything?
Where can I take the test to get the handgun license?
How much fee's should I be expecting to pay for the test, the transactions, and anything I might not be thinking of?

Thanks gentlemen.

Comments

• Pile of JewsPile of Jews Regular
    edited January 2011
    Have you ever been convicted of any Felony or been court ordered to a Mental and/or Rehab facility?

EDIT: You take the test at the local Police Department, if you're in a Township you have to go to the County Sheriff. The most they can charge you for it is up to $5, but most don't.
  • Mr. MooMr. Moo Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    Sorry dont know calis gun laws other than its ridiculous to get anything. A way around it might be to get a C&R firearm. Id try a Makarov or a Tokarev. You can get those for under 250 easy and it would be a good 1st gun in my opinion. They are also semiautomatic and since they are old enough for C&R (to be considered a relic) it would probably be easier to get cause you can say you want it for historical value. This bulgarian from J&G seems to be on the california list of approved handguns.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/handguns/makarov/p/bulgarian-makarov-9x18%2C-w-holster-very-good-condition/cPath/16_151/products_id/4118

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp
  • My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
    edited January 2011
    Have you ever been convicted of any Felony or been court ordered to a Mental and/or Rehab facility?
    Never been to a mental or rehab facility under any circumstances, and I have a mark on my juvenile record that says I've attended court and was sentenced to community service, but doesn't detail anything further (documents supposedly were destroyed after my cooperation with a local teen-program). Whether or not the incident was a felony is unknown to me.

I'll head to the police department for that test as soon as I can. I read the license is good for five years.
    Mr. Moo wrote: »
    ....A way around it might be to get a C&R firearm. Id try a Makarov or a Tokarev. You can get those for under 250 easy and it would be a good 1st gun in my opinion....

Thank you very much for this information. I'll keep it in mind, even though I'm pretty set on getting a 44 magnum.
    I'm not especially worried about the hoops I have to jump through, just trying to figure out what they are so I can do the jumping. :)
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    You'll be fine. Just get your test, FOID card, and a dealer to do any online transaction transfers.

California get's it's rap for banning "assault rifles," and assault rifle like qualities. 30 round mag, easily detachable mag, bayonet lug, colapsable stock. Etc.

Check your local ordinances though. Some cities may ban handguns as Chicago has, I'm not sure which do and do not.
    edited January 2011
    Humboldt, although overrun by hippies, is a hick-county at heart. I seriously doubt the liberals around have much say on firearm laws here. I should be in the clear with the .44, and if I'm not, I'm sure my dealer will be willing to enlighten me.

I'm aware of the assault rifle laws, and what's classified as one. It's pretty disappointing. I really wanted an Armalite AR-180.
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited January 2011
    http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php

"The State's DROS fee is $19.00 which covers the costs of the background checks and transfer registry. There is also a required $1.00 Firearms Safety Testing fee and a $5.00 Safety and Enforcement fee."

"How do I get an HSC?

You may obtain an HSC by passing the DOJ HSC test administered by a DOJ Certified Instructor.

(PC sections 12800 - 12809)"
  • edited January 2011
    Is the gun you want featured in Call of Duty? If not do not get it. The only gun acceptable for you to buy is one that meets navy seal specifications and has a state of the art laser and scope system. The most important thing is that it must be featured in COD or other video games or it isn't suitable for self defense.
  • edited January 2011
    May I inquire as to why you want a .44 magnum at all, much less for your first gun, even much more less as a pistol?
    edited January 2011
    Is the gun you want featured in Call of Duty? If not do not get it. The only gun acceptable for you to buy is one that meets navy seal specifications and has a state of the art laser and scope system. The most important thing is that it must be featured in COD or other video games or it isn't suitable for self defense.
    Darn, I don't believe it is--but I've only been playing Black Ops. They have the Python, but I have read mixed things about it.

May I inquire as to why you want a .44 magnum at all, much less for your first gun, even much more less as a pistol?

I know that I definitely want a revolver as my first gun, and I was going to go with a S&W .357, but the .44 just kinda stuck in my mind. I've found they also chamber lever-action rifles in .44, which I also intend to purchase when I gather the cash.

My ultimate plan is to have a pistol and rifle that use the same ammunition, then start going hunting with my friend's dad and shooting at the range with my brother-in-law.
    I would have gotten a smaller caliber, but I didn't want to risk not being able to hunt anything specific. As I've read, a .44 is capable of handling all North American game, so I will not have to worry about under-kill.
    The ammo will be a bit more expensive than something with a specific purpose, but will make up for it in being able to handle any given situation.
    I like the simplicity of one single round fitting in either of the guns I hope to own.

It would also be fun to learn how to reload my own shells--again, something I'm sure I can do with smaller calibers, but .44 has just stuck with me.
    Gallows wrote: »
    You may obtain an HSC by passing the DOJ HSC test administered by a DOJ Certified Instructor.

Would an instructor be located at my police station? I think I read that some gun shops offer the test, but it was kinda vague.
  • edited January 2011
    They make leverguns in .357 as well, unless you're hunting bear it ought to serve you just fine. .38/.357 is also easy to reload and can be loaded or purchased in a wider variety than .44 special/magnum. Honestly, you should start out with a .22 but a .38 with wadcutters doesn't kick much harder and would be much better for a beginning shooter than a .44 special. Also much MUCH cheaper.
    edited January 2011
    I'm good with my choice. I'm sure from a more experienced perspective it would seem the cons far outweigh the pros, but I think it's going to work for me.
  • 5.56 SS1095.56 SS109 Regular
    edited January 2011

This is not me, I NEVER post as a guest.

It was probably posted by Dirty Sanchez. He's mad at me because I said bad things bout his welfare rifles.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm good with my choice. I'm sure from a more experienced perspective it would seem the cons far outweigh the pros, but I think it's going to work for me.

Rolf agrees with fatty, a .22 is always a good choice choice for starting off, states Rolf, once said thou is more experienced, then thou can spend the money on a more expensive firearm and ammunition, states Rolf. Rolf remembers the first rifle of Rolf, given to Rolf by the grandfather of Rolf, a Stirling in .22 Magnum and is still good for shootin pesky wrabbits when Rolf has the time to go shootin pesky wrabbits, states Rolf.

Rolf dislikes wrabbits, for they always run from the claymore of Rolf, a shame it is that Rolf must revert to the rifle to shoot said wrabbits, states Rolf. But not really, states Rolf, fencing is only fun when one has an opponent that fights back, states Rolf, unlike shooting, finishes Rolf.
    edited January 2011
    I really hope you run around some rural countryside chasing rabbits while swinging a sword in one hand and firing a gun with the other.
    That would be pretty classy. :thumbsup:
  • Pile of JewsPile of Jews Regular
    edited January 2011
    Have you gotten around to checking out the Taurus Raging Bull .44 Magnum? They come in 6 1/2 and 5/12 inch barrels, flat gloss black or brushed chrome and they're relatively inexpensive. They make them in .454 Casull too which is a pretty cool round.
  • edited January 2011
    Have you gotten around to checking out the Taurus Raging Bull .44 Magnum? They come in 6 1/2 and 5/12 inch barrels, flat gloss black or brushed chrome and they're relatively inexpensive. They make them in .454 Casull too which is a pretty cool round.

This.

If you really want to get a .44 magnum don't pay extra just for the S&W stamped on the side. Raging Bulls are almost as good, you can spend part of the difference on a trigger job and still have enough left over for quite a few boxes of ammo.
  • 5.56 SS1095.56 SS109 Regular
    edited January 2011
    This.

If you really want to get a .44 magnum don't pay extra just for the S&W stamped on the side. Raging Bulls are almost as good, you can spend part of the difference on a trigger job and still have enough left over for quite a few boxes of ammo.

Or a reloading kit.
    edited January 2011
    I've saved enough money that I can afford the extra to get an S&W and a reloading kit. Although I'm familiar with the name Taurus, I'd still feel more comfortable with S&W.
    This doesn't need to be a discussion on which gun I'm getting. I'm just trying to sort out all the details on how to get one.
    edited February 2011
    Here she is:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=213370115

I'm out of town at the moment and won't be able to pick it up yet, but that is the gun I've bought. I may have over-payed, but I am very happy with this--of course I won't be able to give a proper opinion until I actually have the gun, but I have talked with the seller a good deal and feel he's on the level.
  • edited February 2011
    You got a damn good deal on that, especially considering you'd be paying Cali prices otherwise. Barrel length is pretty unwieldy for me but if it works for you that's what's important. I hope you know what a ported barrel will do, if not you're in for a surprise on that first round.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited February 2011
    Nothing beats a 30/06 rifle. But in Handguns I started out with .38 spc then to a 1911 .45 and has been my baby ever since.

it just need some niger blood under its belt.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited February 2011
    Nothing beats a 30/06 rifle. But in Handguns I started out with .38 spc then to a 1911 .45 and has been my baby ever since.

it just need some niger blood under its belt.

Bullshit. The .308 is superior to 30/06. It's the more accurate round and is almost exactly the same power wise.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited February 2011
    Nothing beats a 30/06 rifle.

Incorrect states Rolf, nothing beats a .303, especially if it's being fired from a Jungle Carbine, proclaims Rolf.
  • edited February 2011
    Bullshit. The .308 is superior to 30/06. It's the more accurate round and is almost exactly the same power wise.
    Rolf wrote: »
    Incorrect states Rolf, nothing beats a .303, especially if it's being fired from a Jungle Carbine, proclaims Rolf.
    Both of you are morons, I carry a pair of Gold Tiger Stripe Desert Eagles in .50 Action Express IWB every day, one time in Fallujah I came under insurgent fire, my whole convoy blew up around me and I turned and saw a hajji coming around a corner with a Steyr AUG. Before I could draw my Dual Deagles he began firing, and emptied 15 rounds of 5.56 in my chest, but 5.56 is a pussy round so I drew both of my deagles and shot. One bullet ripped off his right arm, the other one sailed past his head but the shock wave of the round severed it cleanly from his spinal cord. That's when I was awarded the Medal of Honor.
    edited February 2011
    Barrel length is pretty unwieldy for me but if it works for you that's what's important.
    I'm not going to be carrying this, so I wasn't very concerned with it being too long. Aesthetically, I didn't really like the way the balance looked on other lengths.
    I hope you know what a ported barrel will do, if not you're in for a surprise on that first round.
    I actually didn't know, but I've just looked into it. So, potential for unburnt powder erupting from the port-hole in a flaming burst? That sounds neat.
    It should decrease recoil and muzzle jump, but the general consensus is people aren't very impressed with the results--most are more concerned about the gases injuring or damaging things not directly in the path of the gun. I have no intention in using it for self-defense, and will only really shoot it in controlled environments, so the chances of the port unintentionally directed at a person will be minimal.
    I don't like the idea of it making the gun louder, but a gun's going to be loud no matter what. :rolleyes:

I am glad you pointed it out, though. I'm always happy to learn more about this gun. If there's anything I missed about port-hole that I should know, please let me know. :thumbsup: