Going to the clinic tomorrow...

StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
edited December 2010 in Life
My girlfriend might be pregnant. She's been showing multiple symptoms such as frrquent vomiting, hips expanding, boobs enlarging and she missed her period today (she was supposed to start). Her last period lasted only 3 days and she only splotched a little. She has taken several EPTs and they have all come back negative so tomorrow we are going to the clinic to find out for sure. I'm very fucking anxious.

inb4 abortion jokes I want the kid.

Comments

• CloudcatCloudcat Regular
    edited December 2010
    You want it? Why? And does she?

How old are you?
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, how old are you? How long have you been together? Can you support a kid financially?
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited December 2010
    Not old enough. She wants it to. I want it because I have always thought I wanted it since I was a teenager. She wants it because she is crazy in love with me and doesn't agree with abortion. When she first told me she suspected she said her initial thought was "at least it is his".

We haven't been together very long. This is the same girl I asked for advice on dating before. She and I make enough money that we will be able to afford a child and retain our current luxuries but only just.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    So you aren't old enough or financially stable enough to have a kid. Enjoy poverty and forcing another human to grow up in poverty.
  • CloudcatCloudcat Regular
    edited December 2010
    Babies are kind of cool I guess.

I raised one before though, and it's a real fucking hassle. Like, holy fucking shit, do they cry a lot. And you always gotta keep an eye on them. And care for them. So much work. So much stress. I also used to have nightmares almost every night about something bad happening to her because of all the pent up anxiety and shit.

It is worth it though, in the end. Usually.

Just make sure you're ready if you do go through with it.
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, you're right. I can definitely see my life going downhill at fullspeed after tomorrow. No spiral just a flat drop into impending doom. I am definetely too young but at least I've gotten my partying out of the way. We have as much income as my sister and her husband. They have two kids and manage just fine with shiny things to boot. She may not be pregnant though.
  • edited December 2010
    Sounds like you might struggle, but if you're happy with it then why not. Just be sure to get yourself a good job if the opportunity arises :D
    edited December 2010
    Yeah getting a second job has occurred to me. It wont be a neccessity but it will certainly make life more comfortable.
  • edited December 2010
    You should smoke a fat blunt with the baby when it comes out, Totse style.
  • edited December 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Sounds like you might struggle, but if you're happy with it then why not. Just be sure to get yourself a good job if the opportunity arises :D

Union job, unfortunately thats your best bet, and unless you have some great person willing to pay the bills while you go to college, you are about to join the rank and file. Look for a light manufacturing plant that makes something like light bulbs or batteries, this does not mean you have a job for life, but unions at least have health care programs, sick days, and a bunch of other shit you are going to need as a family man.
    Think about an apprenticeship, welding, sheet metal, electrician, find a place where you can start as a grunt, and work your way into something better. If you are a numbers person, accounting might seem like the asshole of all jobs, but I got a buddy who took a one year course, then sweated out what amounted to 3 years of indentured servitude, and now lives in a penthouse in Qatar that would make your eyes bleed if you saw it. Possibilities, man, possibilities.

I don't think bringing a child into the world under less than ideal circumstances has any effect on the chances of that child thriving, just depends on how committed you are to the kid. Lots of kids from poor families do well, and lots of kids from rich families end up as useless fucks sucking the family tit between rehab sessions. It's all up to you. Don't fuck it up, start being a dad now, your life as you know it is over anyway, why not make the best of it?

C/O
    "I, also, am thinking of breeding, scared?, you should be."
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah getting a second job has occurred to me. It wont be a neccessity but it will certainly make life more comfortable.

then go for it and get a job :thumbsup: you can spend that money on weed m beer.
    edited December 2010
    Just got back from the clinic. We spent 2.5 hours there and didn't learn a god damned thing. The test came back negative but the lady said it was too soon to tell. We have to go back in two weeks if she doesn't get her period before then. She was told to pretend she is pregnant so I'm still stuck with cleaning out the catbox. >.<
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited December 2010
    Cross your fingers that the upcoming results show up as negative.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited December 2010
    well, good luck.

Try not to fuck it up.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited December 2010
    Not old enough. She wants it to. I want it because I have always thought I wanted it since I was a teenager. She wants it because she is crazy in love with me and doesn't agree with abortion. When she first told me she suspected she said her initial thought was "at least it is his".

We haven't been together very long. This is the same girl I asked for advice on dating before. She and I make enough money that we will be able to afford a child and retain our current luxuries but only just.

• NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited December 2010
    If she's pregnant, get a DNA test once she has the baby just to make sure (I'm fucking serious).

Oh, and get a fucking job or find a niche where you can make some extra money. I'll elaborate a little bit later as it comes and you need more advice.