Notes for talking to computer illiterate people

edited December 2010 in Tech & Games
I was just walking my parents through how to install a better browser and shit, and they surprised me with the total lack of knowledge they had. You really have to go back to basics, and explain every single thing in detail or they just don't understand it :facepalm: I had to...
  • Explain what tabs were
  • Explain how to close a tab
  • Explain how to open a tab
  • Explain how F5 acts as a hotkey to reload the page
  • Demonstrate how to install a new Chrome theme
  • Demonstrate how to install Adblock for Chrome

If I was explaining this all to a normal person, I would have just told them to open up a tab, search for "Adblock" and "Chrome Themes" and install them.

Comments

• AmieAmie Regular
    edited December 2010
    When I get the "no comprende" look when I'm explaining something about computers I usually start with asking "Do you know the difference between hardware and software?"

The answer is usually "no", and it makes me facepalm and wonder why there are so few geeks amongst my friends.

Sometimes I'll start explaining a bunch of stuff and see their eyes lighten up as they slowly start to grasp the inner workings of their interactive box o' lights and buttons. But usually I'll just facepalm a couple times and tell 'em I can't be bothered to explain it all and they should wikipedia it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    I use real world examples or examples that they can related too. For instance I told Raven about my bitchfest in Linux by giving him Windows 7 examples. You just need to do that.

I know it's difficult but it works.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know shit about linux, and I'm going to keep it that way. :o
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm over teaching old people have to use computers in the most basic sense. My mother just ruined it because she refuses to use a computer on a semi-daily basis to fucking learn, and she's a teachers worst nightmare. Nowadays I tell people to fucking learn the hard way through trial and error. First I set up the PC with everything they need, then I create a restore or disk image in case they overly fuck things up and are unable to fix it themselves. Everything else should be up to them. Sit them in a damn corner and tell them to play, experience, and learn all on their own. Just like a little 2 year old kid that's how we have to train the old to use PCs in my experience.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    ^Hahha,

I would consider restricting their access to sensitive location and just give them a shell that basically says, e-mail, msn and videos.

Nothing else.
  • edited December 2010
    So I was just downstairs trying to help my dad get a Twitter feed onto a MySpace page, and I told him to click on a link. This link opened up another Myspace, he saw his little icon next to the "add comment" box and he was all like "WTF Why is my picture on this guy's profile?!"

I fucking :facepalm:ed and walked away.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited December 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    I use real world examples or examples that they can related too. For instance I told Raven about my bitchfest in Linux by giving him Windows 7 examples. You just need to do that.

I know it's difficult but it works.

This is usually how I try to explain things to people, they need something they understand to relate it to if possible. Another good one is explaining electrical systems using water/pressure systems.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited December 2010
    LSA King wrote: »
    I'm over teaching old people have to use computers in the most basic sense. My mother just ruined it because she refuses to use a computer on a semi-daily basis to fucking learn, and she's a teachers worst nightmare. Nowadays I tell people to fucking learn the hard way through trial and error. First I set up the PC with everything they need, then I create a restore or disk image in case they overly fuck things up and are unable to fix it themselves. Everything else should be up to them. Sit them in a damn corner and tell them to play, experience, and learn all on their own. Just like a little 2 year old kid that's how we have to train the old to use PCs in my experience.

Ya that's the way it should be but old people are AFRAID they might break it.
    They do not understand ANY of it.
    I basically did what you said for my mom last weekend and then I got an email.She was all freaked out because i set up screen saver that she never saw before "The thing just spins and spins what do I do??":facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
  • edited December 2010
    What the fuck dude ^ hahaha.

I think that if someone needs to learn about how to use a computer in general, they should make use of a standalone computer which has a fresh install of Windows on it. Then they can click and click at their hearts content, without being afraid of breaking anything.

It's actually how I learned the fundamentals when I was a little kid - we had an old computer with dial-up internet and I was obsessed with messing around with everything on there. Afterwards, I liked to play on Ski-Free :D
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited December 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Ski-Free :D

:D Chips Challenge
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited December 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    . Afterwards, I liked to play on Ski-Free :D

That fucking snowman...
    :D Chips Challenge

So many hours spent on this...
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited December 2010
    I had almost every level beat, bold time on most of them, and a ridiculously high score... Then I accidentally started a new game and lost everything. Also, CCLP3 came out on Dec 24. I've been wasting too much time on it.