Gluten Free Cooking (Cooking for someone with Celiac disease)

Bob_DoleBob_Dole Acolyte
edited December 2010 in Life
I'm looking to make an appetizer and dessert like cookies or cake for a friends NYE party. I have used google but all the recipes I have found sound fucking horrid and I would not like to put anyone through that.

Any good ideas, or ways of modifying existing recipes so they remain gluten free?

Comments

• dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited December 2010
    For desert, make creme brulee. Its basically just custard with a burnt top. Make a propper egg custard, dont bother with the instant muck and then put into ramakins and sprinkle a little unrefined castor sugar on top and refrigerate.

When needed, you can put a little more sugar on top and put under a hot grill for 3-4 minutes. When the sugar caramelises, they are done.

Take them out of the grill and give the sugar a minute or two to set.

For an appetizer, do prawn coctail or some lamb and chicken kebabs. I will post my kebab marinade later when I find my little book of scriblings.
  • edited December 2010
    Creme Brulee is amazing, I have to say. Really great food, whether you've got the disease or not :D
  • Bob_DoleBob_Dole Acolyte
    edited December 2010
    dr rocker wrote: »
    For desert, make creme brulee. Its basically just custard with a burnt top. Make a propper egg custard, dont bother with the instant muck and then put into ramakins and sprinkle a little unrefined castor sugar on top and refrigerate.

When needed, you can put a little more sugar on top and put under a hot grill for 3-4 minutes. When the sugar caramelises, they are done.

Take them out of the grill and give the sugar a minute or two to set.

For an appetizer, do prawn coctail or some lamb and chicken kebabs. I will post my kebab marinade later when I find my little book of scriblings.

For creme brulee, do I need to make them all individually or can I make just a big thing of it? There maybe 15-20 people at this party and I'm a lazy ass.

As far as some of the desserts and appetizers go, I think my friends are pretty much allergic to chocolate, peanut butter, shellfish and everything else delicious, which is why it has been so difficult for me to find a good recipe.
  • edited December 2010
    You're going to need a blowtorch for the Creme Brulee. Seriously.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited December 2010
    You have to make them individually - the best part of it is breaking the caramelised topping.

You wont need a blowtorch, just a hot grill (I think thats a broiler in ameriland).
  • edited December 2010
    Definitely do the creme brulle individually, and the chocolate mousse is a good bet too. Cooking for people with a wheat allergy is a pain in the ass, umm.... how about this, it is pretty classic party food.

Mushroom caps stuffed with artichoke and bacon.
    You will need.
    1 350ml can plain(not marinaded) artichoke hearts.
    1 500g pack bacon
    500g cream cheese
    5 green onions
    1 clove garlic or 5ml garlic powder
    salt, pepper
    2 lbs mushrooms, get bigger ones, not too big though.
    juice of 1/4 lemon

Remove the stems on the mushrooms by snapping them off with your fingers, leaving a space for filling, and blanch them in boiling salted water for 1-2 minutes, they should be just cooked all the way through, run the mushrooms under cold water to cool them down, then drain them and put them in a bowl. Squeeze the lemon onto the mushrooms and toss them a bit, then set them aside.

For the filling;
    Cook off the bacon so it is firm but not crispy, then remove it from the pan and cool it on some paper towel to soak up any remaining grease. Chop the bacon coarsely.
    Drain the artichoke hearts well and chop them coarsely.
    Chop the green onions finely and mince the garlic.
    Put the creamcheese in a non metallic bowl and soften it in the microwave for 1 minute or so on medium setting.
    Mix the ingredients(not the mushrooms though) together along with a dash of salt and some fresh ground pepper until well blended.

Fill each mushroom cap with enough of the mixture so it makes a little mound above the mushroom, and place them mix side up on a baking tray.
    Wrap the tray in plastic wrap tightly and it is ready for transport.
    When you get to the party, put the mushrooms in a hot oven (400or so) until the cheese mixture browns a bit and they are hot all the way through. Serve immediately.

C/O

"No thank you, strictly liquids for me on New Years Eve"
  • Bob_DoleBob_Dole Acolyte
    edited December 2010
    That sounds amazing. That is exactly what I'll be doing tomorrow.