Protip: Keeping SATA cables tidy

edited January 2011 in Tech & Games
Note: Doing this may slow down your data transfer by a teeny bit, because of some electrical doo-dad which Katz explains later in this thread.

If you have a computer with SATA cables inside, they might look tangled and messy dangling around your case. If you're looking for a way of managing them a little better, wrap them tightly around a pencil. Once you're done, your cable should be nice and coiled, looking something like this...

9mo.jpg

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    I might try this. I have three SATA drives and it would be nice to clean up the mess. Thanks.
  • edited January 2011
    No problem. This sort of thing can help you keep cables out of the way, increasing air flow and making the case look nicer. Good luck :D
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    Looks better than tie wraps.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Coiling will create inductance problems, and thus data transfer problems.
  • edited January 2011
    Coiling will create inductance problems, and thus data transfer problems.

Explain :(
    edited January 2011
    Inductance is the resistance to change in a current. SATA cables are designed to have as low an inductance as possible. when you coil them you are essentially making an inductor of a couple nanohenries. That's not much, but since the data signals are at a couple megahertz it becomes relevant. Some bits will get lost and the computer will have to resend them, slowing things down.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Inductance is the resistance to change in a current. SATA cables are designed to have as low an inductance as possible. when you coil them you are essentially making an inductor of a couple nanohenries. That's not much, but since the data signals are at a couple megahertz it becomes relevant. Some bits will get lost and the computer will have to resend them, slowing things down.

^Saved by Katz.

*Goes to uncoil his dick*
  • edited January 2011

So this will have definitely happened to the SATA cables you can see in my pic?

If I uncoil them, will this solve the problem?
    edited January 2011
    It likely happened, and yes uncoiling solves the problem.

Electricity's a bitch.
    edited January 2011
    I hope you don't mine me copyandpasting your little essay Katz.
  • edited January 2011
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    I hope you don't mine me copyandpasting your little essay Katz.

Heh, what are you doing with it? I know a few other websites have this tip posted on them - raining on their parade?
    edited January 2011
    I'm using it in my essay about electricity. lol
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited January 2011
    Cool, I always wondered if changing the arangement of cables in a computer could realistically create inductance problems.