homemade flamethrower

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited January 2011 in Man Cave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Qn_LkOhGg&feature=related

Anyone ever make one or have a good guide to making one. Ive made the supersoaker flamethrower before but now i want to make a good one.

Comments

• 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lhOGFd4RTM

Skip a few minutes into it, we had some problems.

There's mine, it is made from propane tanks and toilet seat bolts.

dsc00017e.jpg

The gun portion, some aluminum trim attached to a aircompressor siphon gun with a blowtorch on the end for the pilot light.

imgp2556.jpg

The tanks. The one on the left is filled with compressed air, the one on the right has a copper dip tube stuck about 1/2 inch from the bottom inside it, and is filled mostly with kerosene.

Air pushes the kerosene out, through the dip tube, into the gun. This hasn't worked for about a year now, however. In need of rebuilding.

More pictures if you want em'.
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited July 2010
    This sounds like an awesome idea. I might get some of the stuff together and give it a go.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010
    13579 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lhOGFd4RTM

Skip a few minutes into it, we had some problems.

There's mine, it is made from propane tanks and toilet seat bolts.

dsc00017e.jpg

The gun portion, some aluminum trim attached to a aircompressor siphon gun with a blowtorch on the end for the pilot light.

imgp2556.jpg

The tanks. The one on the left is filled with compressed air, the one on the right has a copper dip tube stuck about 1/2 inch from the bottom inside it, and is filled mostly with kerosene.

Air pushes the kerosene out, through the dip tube, into the gun. This hasn't worked for about a year now, however. In need of rebuilding.

More pictures if you want em'.

More pics when you get the chance. Im building this thing.
    edited July 2010
    I'm on dialup at the moment, I'll get more pictures when I go to a friends house.

Mine isn't functional at the moment. Last time I tried it, the pilot light failed to ignite the kerosene for some reason. Since then, I accidentally broke the pilot light (Propane torch)...

I was searching for flamethrower plans on google again to see if anybody had made one and posted somewhere about it since I last did research for mine, and I came across this website: http://flamethrowerplans.com/

Very shittily made, and they stole a line from George Carlin. Classy.

They're also trying to charge people money for plans to the flamethrower they made, and don't give any clues to the basic design...I even looked through the FTP folder they upload pictures, nothing.

Except, I found their downfall. They have a thumbnail preview of ALL their plans. They didn't count on anyone zooming in on it.

If you try really hard, you can read the words, and easily make out the picture diagrams. Here's the link: http://flamethrowerplans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Picture-6.png

And here's a picture I made after squinting for too long at pixels:

47032658.jpg

62556831.jpg

With that basic information, you should be able to piece a damn good one together, much better than mine. Fuel goes in the air tank (No idea what fuel they used), and the CO2/High Pressure Air Tank for paintball pressurizes the whole thing. Pretty nice.

You might want to save the picture and zoom in on it yourself to make out any other details.

Strangely enough, the basic design these guys are selling are exactly the same as the ones I drew up back on totse/zoklet before I started work on it. Only reason why I didn't build it was because I had a budget of $0.00 and whatever I could steal from Ace Hardware.

I plan on making mine like this when I rebuild it.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the guide man its useful as shit I didn't have any clue where to start. This dosnt seem too expensive to make either. Ill post results once im done Ill start soon.
    edited July 2010
    Sure, anything I can do to help...I need to find a job or a place to get a cheap airtank now so I can start improving mine :D
  • strapped felonstrapped felon Acolyte
    edited December 2010
    Bumping this thread because im in the process of building one of these. Thanks for the resized pictures from that website, it seems like a pretty basic setup. It seems those plans are calling for a power washer gun to be used as an actuator.. That would work nicely.

I picked up a 1968 water fire extinguisher today.. The cap screws right off to fill with fuel and it has a schrader valve built right in for pressurizing. Ill post pics of the build when i get around to it.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited December 2010
    let us know how it goes strapped, pictures, vids, burnt shit would b cool.
  • edited December 2010
    let us know how it goes strapped, pictures, vids, burnt shit would b cool.

This bro, I'd love to see it in action. Might get around to building something like this myself one day, I need a new project to keep me busy :D
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited December 2010
    Ha. I just noticed your avatar was a flamethrower.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited December 2010
    ^ this .
    edited January 2011
    Bumping this thread because im in the process of building one of these. Thanks for the resized pictures from that website, it seems like a pretty basic setup. It seems those plans are calling for a power washer gun to be used as an actuator.. That would work nicely.

I picked up a 1968 water fire extinguisher today.. The cap screws right off to fill with fuel and it has a schrader valve built right in for pressurizing. Ill post pics of the build when i get around to it.

Ah, that sounds like it'd work great!

And yeah, power washer gun is what they used.

I still don't have mine working, other projects taking priority over it, but it'll work again eventually. Hope it works out for you, just remember to be careful.

And yeah, my avatar is actually me shooting my flamethrower resized.
  • edited January 2011
    I read on another forum the problem of fuel not igniting when exiting the nozzle. This is because therew little atomization or lack of oxygen in the mixture. What if i added something to stick out a few inches from the nozzle to disrupt the stream and add some air in the mix. Sticking it out a few inches would allow a nice even stream to exit the nozzle and prevent backflash. This stream interuptor could be sliding or adjustable for fine tuning.
  • strapped felonstrapped felon Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    ^Fuck, i need to start remembering to log in.
    edited January 2011
    I read on another forum the problem of fuel not igniting when exiting the nozzle. This is because therew little atomization or lack of oxygen in the mixture. What if i added something to stick out a few inches from the nozzle to disrupt the stream and add some air in the mix. Sticking it out a few inches would allow a nice even stream to exit the nozzle and prevent backflash. This stream interuptor could be sliding or adjustable for fine tuning.

Exactly....last time I attempted to use it, the stream refused to light. Which confused me, because nothing that would have affected the stream or the pilot light had changed since last time that I was aware of.
  • FrackleFrackle Semo-Regulars
    edited January 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKsNtGYMHn0

IMG_0760.jpg?t=1294213134

Just an old fire extinguisher modded to be counter productive.
    It's getting ready to be charged from my air compresser so that's why that hose / lever is attached.

Al

[EDIT]
    Pic of the front with the torch lit.
    IMG_0733.jpg?t=1294213722

Al