Should we throw Totse.info into Beta Status?

LSA KingLSA King Regular
edited July 2010 in Help and Suggestions
In a way like Jeff did when posting news announcements letting people know the website is still under construction to reconstruct the Original Totse content, including the site itself and all the links that are still broken (especially register/forum).

There is a lot of work ahead. Hellish is working on a CMS for articles and text files, rebuilding archive links, and fixing the sites current stability issues and broken links. It's a lot of work for one man and hopefully Hellish will be able to distribute the load to people who have the time and energy to help out, but in the meantime many moving here are under the impression this site is up to par when in reality it isn't. At the worst it provides a buffer from the criticism some of the curious are pointing out.

Thoughts, opinoins, suggestions?

Comments

• muffinsmuffins Regular
    edited July 2010
    I agree with you as corny as it may sound an undergoing work statement on the first page would be good. Let the people know that the site is still a little buggy but hey we are working on it so join the community and speak with like minded people.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    I like this idea but sooner or later they will know about it. How about a simple announcement that stays on top and it's displayed on the front page explaining that the site is undergoing renovation or something like that. I think some fancy words should cover that part. Adding Beta just doesn't seem right. We need some good PR langauge for this. So, users will know that the site is stable but only doing some minor changes to improve it.

Being subtle is the key here.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    I like this idea but sooner or later they will know about it. How about a simple announcement that stays on top and it's displayed on the front page explaining that the site is undergoing renovation or something like that. I think some fancy words should cover that part. Adding Beta just doesn't seem right. We need some good PR langauge for this. So, users will know that the site is stable but only doing some minor changes to improve it.

Exactly. Beta is probably the wrong word. I can't for the life of me think of how Jeff would have put it. The man was brilliant at putting out announcements.
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
    I think "under-construction" or "Working on new developments" sounds much better than beta. Also this encourages new users to stick around because things are still in progress and still getting better.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    Why not?
  • wasjoshwasjosh Regular
    edited July 2010
    Any such notification saying the site is not dead, when it is dead, would be a wonderful message to deliver to the masses.

Death to the Airbenders...
  • KundaLiniKundaLini Regular
    edited July 2010
    Dfg wrote: »

I voted yes, but I think Dfg has a better idea of this.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    No. I don't know much about this honestly but it seems to me that the last thing we want here is something on the front page saying we're 'under construction' or 'in beta' -- that's only going to make people think the site is fundamentally broken or unfinished when it isn't, and we'll lose potential membership. I imagine.

Edit: Lawl, missed Dfg's post. Pretty much that. If you must do it, PR it up so we're obviously tweaking, not building.
  • wasjoshwasjosh Regular
    edited July 2010
    This seems ever more urgent in the case of the forum losing it's license.

Maybe it could just be in the form of a riot on the front page:

"If you can't fucking post here, don't bitch, flame here: zoklet.net"

[edit: 't]
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    Poor guy can't even afford $195 and you guys are talking about the future of this site?

Hold your horses.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Poor guy can't even afford $195 and you guys are talking about the future of this site?

Hold your horses.

lol that happened after this thread ;). Just as luck would have it.

Sorry for cursing us gaise :p
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    LSA King wrote: »
    lol that happened after this thread ;). Just as luck would have it.

Sorry for cursing us gaise :p

Aha, nice catch brah.