Want to grow your beard faster? Think about sex!

MayberryMayberry Regular
edited January 2011 in Life
http://www.biology.mcmaster.ca/course_info/2l03/Nature-Beards1970.pdf

This is a self-study published in Nature by an anonymous author in 1970. The reason for anonymity is quite apparent. He lived in isolation for most of the week, and would return to the mainland on weekends. For 2 years, he would shave each morning and weigh the amount of beard shaved off. He found that his beard growth peaked on Fridays, which he correlated with anticipation of going back to civilisation and thus having the chance to have sex. The increase in beard growth is a product of an increase in androgens in the body, which, as most people probably know, can be caused by thinking about sex.

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited November 2010
    My facial hair as well as my hair in general grows really fast. And I do think about sex a lot. hmm....:fap:
  • speedfeedspeedfeed New Arrival
    edited January 2011
    hmm interesting, I don't think there's really way to prove this, sounds like some bullshit, could be a lot of other factors that effected beard length.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeh, this study was only done on one subject and never replicated, so the results should be taken with a grain of salt. But the author did account for other factors as well, including the number of shaves per day and stress, and taking those into account, said that sexual relationships caused the most pronounced beard growth. Beard growth is controlled exclusively by the testes, so there is a direct relationship between androgen levels and beard growth.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    What about diet, sleep patterns and other factors? He didn't think about sex all the time anyway?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    He didn't think about sex all the time. It's when he thought about sex and anticipated it that his beard grew more. And to quote from the paper "The amount of sleep, type of food eaten and degree of libido were without effect." Factors taken into account are described in the bottom left of the first page.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    Like I'm going to read the article :o
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    My facial hair as well as my hair in general grows really fast. And I do wonder what sex is like a lot. hmm....:fap:

FIX't