Feeling more alert

edited February 2011 in Life
I need to start feeling more alert during the day, as I spend a lot of the time feeling as though I could fall asleep at any second.

Coffee works - I know that, but I don't want that temporary solution. I need something which will work long term.

I don't really do much excersize as I'm sitting at a computer for most of my day due to my college course and what I enjoy doing at home. Do you think that increasing the amount of excercise I do might ultimately make me feel more alert during the day?

Diet is average I suppose, although I don't eat much fruit.

Don't smoke, don't really take drugs, etc.

Any ideas?

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    How much sleep do you get? Too little can of course cause this but too much can be just as bad.
  • edited January 2011
    I had about 7 hours last night, probably going to be around 6-8 each night.
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I had about 7 hours last night, probably going to be around 6-8 each night.

Hmm. You could take up dip or smoking. nicotine is great for keeping you alert and you're thoughts clear.
  • edited January 2011
    I don't really want to turn to drugs/alcohol/tobacco/caffeine if possible. I'm really looking for a long term solution which is totally healthy and natural :D
    edited January 2011
    I don't really want to turn to drugs/alcohol/tobacco/caffeine if possible. I'm really looking for a long term solution which is totally healthy and natural :D

In that case you're best bet is a good diet and some exercise. Try to avoid caffiene and sugar as well. They keep you alert but then you crash.
  • edited January 2011
    Alright, I'll give it a shot. What would you recommend as a good diet? I can force myself into doing exercise so that's not too much of a problem.
    edited January 2011
    Alright, I'll give it a shot. What would you recommend as a good diet? I can force myself into doing exercise so that's not too much of a problem.

Mainly staying away from too much caffeine or sugar if it's alertness you're after.
  • Turd_SmasherTurd_Smasher Regular
    edited January 2011
    Eating brown sugar/molasses/candy/chocolate will make you more alert, but it has to be rationed off in small doses to avoid a crash. Getting sexually aroused works too.
  • speedfeedspeedfeed New Arrival
    edited January 2011
    If you want to do it naturally and healthy, I would say a diet that contains a balance of carbs and protein, specifically complex carbs like rice or pasta rather than things that are sugary or that will turn right to sugar like potatoes. Exercise which should help you sleep better making you less tired the next day. You could also try taking B vitamins like B6 and B12, which is a main ingredient in things like 5 hour energy. Flax seed oil is also a good healthy oil that will give a person energy, some people like to just take a spoonful of it with a meal. If you do want to just take a pill, a combo of ephedrine and caffeine is supposed to be one of the best things for alertness.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited January 2011
    5 hour energy, duh
  • Sarahlov3lySarahlov3ly Regular
    edited January 2011

good choice :thumbsup: i am guilty of drinking the blue monsters and the absolutely zero monsters though

Look over your diet
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited January 2011
    5 hour energy, duh

These actually work quite well. I would recommend trying them. All it really is is a huge load of B complex vitamins, along with a little caffeine.
  • inappropriphiliacinappropriphiliac Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2011
    Drink water soon as you wake up and make sure you stay hydrated. Not having enough fluids makes a person really groggy.
    Also, try to not oversleep I found out that I always have more energy with specifically 8.5 hours of sleep. Most days anything more or less makes me feel off in some way.