So I bought a fake gold Rolex

edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I'm not posting this in Set The Style forum since no one ever posts there.

Bought it from one if the replica watch sites, but i made sure to check first that it was a) not a scam site and b) makes good quality fakes. All the methods of verifying a Rolex's authenticity are meticulously copied - even the average jeweler probably couldn't tell the difference. Maybe. Cost me about $130 whereas the real thing of that model costs around $20 000. If people ask where I got it I'll just say it was a present from some family member as they probably won't believe me if I say I bought it. I'm hoping it will make people like me and think I'm rich.

2ugp6av.jpg
2pyw48x.jpg

I feel like OJ already.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,299816,00.html

Your thoughts?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    From the eyes of a total watch noob - it looks pretty cool. I have no idea how they confirm the legitimacy of watches but like I said, I really can't tell the difference.

Probably a good purchase :D
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    Looking rich is the dumbest thing you can do. It will attract people who are out for your money and repel nice people. A watch like that screams "chump" and "rob me". And if you're wearing it while wearing a t-shirt and a pair of regular jeans, nobody's going to believe it's real and they're all going to hate you for showing off.

If you want to look classy, dress normal but pay meticulous attention to detail. Make sure your shoes are clean, in good shape and polished if applicable. Always wear clean, unwrinkled clothing. Get a nice haircut. Nothing fancy, but classy. Make sure your nails are cut, your breath doesn't smell, your teeth are brushed and your hands are clean. Always be cleanly shaven. Get a nice cologne, nothing too expensive, but not the cheapest shit either. Ask your sister / mother to help you choose. Then you need to get the attitude right. Never lose your cool. Walk straight, sit straight. Don't spit, don't curse if there's no reason to curse. Learn the basic rules of etiquette and apply them. Again, don't overdo it, but using your eating utensils the right way and putting them the right way on your plate when you're done is the kind of thing which women (don't try to fool us, you're doing this for the ladies) will notice. It will show them you were raised with class.

Once you've got the basics and your attitude down, you can think about adding an unobtrusive secondhand stainless steel rolex. Something which will look like a $50 watch to regular folks but will whisper "classy" to the right kind of folks.

Basically, it comes down to this:

This is what you look like now and the women it will attract:
    Bling_Bling_Brothers_4.jpg
    Avril%20Lavigne%20To%20Perform%20At%20MS%20Charity%20Event.jpg

This is what you want to look like and the kind of women you want to attract:
    conneryaston.jpg
    AudreyHepburn.jpg
  • edited January 2011
    Thanks a lot for the input; a lot of it makes sense but I honestly don't think I have what it takes to pull of Sean Connory, so I must compensate for it with... other stuff.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, Sean Connory is kinda the epitome of classy. How about aiming for a kinda "far descendant of nobility" thing? Like, "I might not have gotten my fair share of the family fortune, but I was raised well and proud and I'm determined on creating my own success."

Whatever you go for, don't do it too fast. You can't pull off the clothes / watch / car unless you've got the mindset to go along with it. Start with dressing a little better. Do something which makes you proud of yourself and confident. Doesn't matter what, but find something that makes people respect you when you do it, something that makes you feel like you are somebody. Not too cocky, but a man who's worthy of being called a man and who knows it. Could be anything. If you're an awesome CoD player and your friends are all like "whoa dude ..." when you're playing, harness that feeling. Then learn to get into that mindset whenever you want to.

Don't get condescending, what you're looking for is not "Oh you friggin bunch of fools in this shitty town, I'm soo much better than you all", it's more like a relaxed "Yeah, I'm better, and we both know it. But it's OK, we're friends, you're cool too."

Maybe I should try writing a guide on this.
  • edited January 2011
    |3u|\/|p
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Yo dude, I'd tear Avril Lavigne a new one!

1293896284251.jpg
  • Sarahlov3lySarahlov3ly Regular
    edited January 2011
    Your hoping it will get people to like you? Aw
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    |3u|\/|p

I honestly have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out, it's a bump.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone would take one look at you at know it's a fake. Unless you own a successful business or inherited money, there's no way a 20 something could afford a $20,000 watch.

You're better off getting a nice Seiko or a modestly-priced watch. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=seiko+watches&x=0&y=0

I doubt the fake Rolex is made to exacting standards. Seikos are nice watches that last a long time, and they're not inherently annoyingly ostentatious.
  • edited January 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Anyone would take one look at you at know it's a fake. Unless you own a successful business or inherited money, there's no way a 20 something could afford a $20,000 watch.

Don't worry, I lie about those things too.
    I doubt the fake Rolex is made to exacting standards. Seikos are nice watches that last a long time, and they're not inherently annoyingly ostentatious.

It's one of the high-end replicas. Doing a Google search for how to tell a real from a fake, it meets all criteria. Bought it from here:

http://www.watcheswell.com/
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    If you paid $130 it's not a high end replica. The site even says Swiss made replicas are the best, and they cost up to $1000.

There are 3 main grades for replicas:

1. Chinese manufactured replicas — Watches in the Chinese grade replicas can cost up to $120. (We do not offer Chinese replicas. Chinese manufactured replicas may look great, but they are made with sub-standard materials such as alloys which tarnish, scratch and bend quickly with wear. We find that the quality is unsatisfactory made with cheap parts and materials and provide frequent problems for customers.)
    2. Japanese manufactured replicas — Watches in the Japanese grade replicas can cost up to $240. (Japanese watch replicas are made with finer materials such as stainless steel with Automatic 21 jewels or quartz movement and are manufactured accurately to aid in less defects then many other replicas watches — you will find many of the Japanese manufactured replicas on our site.)
    3. Swiss manufactured replicas — Watches in the Swiss grade replicas can cost up to $1.000. (Swiss watch replicas are made from the precious and semi precious materials including gold and diamonds. They are can be an exact match in material and mechanism to the original style and many watchmakers wouldn't be able to tell the difference.)
    Take your watch to a Rolex dealer and ask them to verify that it's real. See what they say.
  • edited January 2011
    If you paid $130 it's not a high end replica. The site even says Swiss made replicas are the best, and they cost up to $1000.

There are 3 main grades for replicas:

1. Chinese manufactured replicas — Watches in the Chinese grade replicas can cost up to $120. (We do not offer Chinese replicas. Chinese manufactured replicas may look great, but they are made with sub-standard materials such as alloys which tarnish, scratch and bend quickly with wear. We find that the quality is unsatisfactory made with cheap parts and materials and provide frequent problems for customers.)
    2. Japanese manufactured replicas — Watches in the Japanese grade replicas can cost up to $240. (Japanese watch replicas are made with finer materials such as stainless steel with Automatic 21 jewels or quartz movement and are manufactured accurately to aid in less defects then many other replicas watches — you will find many of the Japanese manufactured replicas on our site.)
    3. Swiss manufactured replicas — Watches in the Swiss grade replicas can cost up to $1.000. (Swiss watch replicas are made from the precious and semi precious materials including gold and diamonds. They are can be an exact match in material and mechanism to the original style and many watchmakers wouldn't be able to tell the difference.)
    Take your watch to a Rolex dealer and ask them to verify that it's real. See what they say.

Considering the average 'Chinatown' fake is about $20, it is.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited January 2011
    Looks nice but I know it's a piece of shit and probably will break.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited January 2011
    See that's how you buy things :rolleyes: