Few questions about growing

edited January 2011 in Man Cave
Pakistanis sniff cum

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    1. Both really, but the higher the wattage, the bigger the buds (generally). Technology is moving towards LED technology so you might not need to worry too much. I used to grow outdoors or indoors with a small 250w CFL.

2. There's no rule, just as long as the plant is stable. It will make itself stable, too. I used buckets.

3. Shortest non-auro? I'd say AK-47, Top 44, The Bomb or Early Girl/Mist
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    1. The lumens is the thing to look for becaus that is the output, where as the watts is the input needed. You will see that for different types of bulb, there can be big differences at the same watt level.

However, the light has to be at specific waveleanths. For example, plants respond well to light in the blue and red ranges of light and poorly with light from the green spectrum - different lights produce different amounts of lighht at different waveleangths and say you had a 1000w bulb producing light with a waveleangth of 500-600 nm, it would be pretty pointless - a 250w bulb at 400-450 nm would produce more light useable by plants.

Overall, with traditional MH and HPS light, MH produces better light for growing, HPS for flowering but if you had to pick one for the whole grow, HPS wins hands down.

Having said that, LED technology is coming on leaps and bounds. These bulbs are very efficient, having a negligable heat signature, but the waveleangth of light produced covers a very narrow band so you need a variety of LED bulbs in your light set up or different light set ups for different times of the grow.

The cost of finished LED units is also massive. If you do a bit of research you will be able to find exactly what LED's you need and put a light together yourself very cheaply. I have looked at doing this in the past but the company I was dealing with in China would only sell in units of thousands and would not garuntee quality - this was near 10 years ago so things might have changed.

2. Depends how you are going to grow. I would recomend a bubbler bucket. I have seen plants 8 foot tall with a root spaces of 8 vertical inches in the bubbler.

A lot of indoor trees are grown in bubblers.

3. Afghan Kush, Ata tundra and northernlights are good if you are in a rush but still want something decent at the end.
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
    edited January 2011
    You state you are in buttfuckistan, cunt.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    3. Can anyone point me to the shortest nonauto strain around?

>nonauto strain
    >implying you want a plant which has automatic flowering strains

THIS AINT NO FUCKING CARROT, SIR
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
    edited January 2011
    Are LEDs really tested? I haven't seen a low cost LED setup successfully flower bell peppers and onions like I intend to grow. Also, because you and several other people have recommended a vacation to see the Aurora Borealis, I think that will be my next adventure.

From what I have seen of them, they are a bit like communism - works on paper but the guys that put the end product together dont understand whats needed for it to really work.

Hence: learn about them and make your own.
  • DexingsmotpokerDexingsmotpoker New Arrival
    edited January 2011
    1.) Lumins > watts
    2.) Deeper > Wide
    3.) Pair of scissors.
  • edited January 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    From what I have seen of them, they are a bit like communism - works on paper but the guys that put the end product together dont understand whats needed for it to really work.

Hence: learn about them and make your own.

the point of failure is "low cost" they're fucking expensive for a much smaller footprint than HID.