The next bubble

Hitler's DadHitler's Dad Semo-Regulars
edited March 2011 in Life
What do you think the next bubble will be? We had the tech bubble of the early 2000s and to crawl out from that bubble we inflated the mortgage market with subprime loans. Will the next bubble be green energy? Will there be another bubble? What say ye, economists?

Comments

• HippieTrippieHippieTrippie Regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, first I want to know what sub-prime mortgages have to do with technology. Thats just shitty economics. You have ten dollars, you want *insert item* that costs $20, so you go to the bank and they give you ten dollars that you pay in increments of $1 everyday, so in ten days, the money is back to the bank, and you have your item. But you make $5 every ten days. When you can't pay it, the bank possesses what you bought, and now you have neither the item or the money. No tech there.

I do however think the Green movement will fuck inflation until its 20% and then leave nothing but shiny blue glass and big pinwheels in its wake. I have no economics, numbers, or stats to back this claim up.
  • Dumpster SlutDumpster Slut Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    the next bubble is the chinese housing market - and its already begun to strain/pop!
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    Bubble? I can't wait til the economy bursts and is set afire.
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
    Medicine. With all the baby boomers getting older, we are entering into a society were good health care will be worth more than gold.
  • SLPSLP New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    Australian property is yet to burst and so is Canada I think. Both countries contain most of the world's unaffordable housing: http://www.demographia.com/dhi.pdf

meta, it's hard for medicine to be inflated. It's not something with little room for supply to expand such as land, shares or imported tulips.
  • MasterMaster Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    SLP wrote: »
    Australian property is yet to burst and so is Canada I think. Both countries contain most of the world's unaffordable housing: http://www.demographia.com/dhi.pdf

meta, it's hard for medicine to be inflated. It's not something with little room for supply to expand such as land, shares or imported tulips.

There won't be a burst here in Canada. The Bank of Canada just keeps slowly raising interest rates to reduce the value of homes over the next 5-10 years as to not cause the equity in the majority of mortgages to fall below the debt owed on the mortgage. I'm sure some people will get fucked, but not enough for the bubble to burst. We have pretty solid economics and controls here in Canada that are regulating things pretty well.
  • AzureAzure Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    In the US? Dollar backed securities, treasury notes etc.
  • i<3Shroomsi<3Shrooms Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    Yyyyeaaa....Im gonna go with what Azure said. The rest of the world learned alot from our greedy banker's raping of our economy. China and Canada both seem to have a good head in the administration... Here, we are just fed bullshit and fleeced over and over again by greedy multi-national banking empires... which adds up to only a half dozen or so people.

Its no accident that 1% of the population controls most of the wealth.. greedy fuckers.
  • MasterMaster Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    The next bubble will be the chinese economy. The reason is because currently they are controlling the value of their currency. One day, the rest of the world is going to force them to switch that to a market valued currency system. The problem is that most chinese companies aren't turning a profit, but are simply kept a float by the deflating currency as a result of Government fixing.

example: A company borrows $1,000,000 in chinese currency. At the end of the year, they only make back $950,000, with a $50,000 loss. However, the chinese currency inflated 10% that same year, so the $950,000 they have left is worth $1,050,000 in comparison to the million dollars from the year before. Therefore they made 5% profit even though they lost money, do to deflation. They made money just by taking the loan and using it.

Eventually this shit is going to end. When the market corrects for this, the world economy will inflate massively to compensate. It's a slim chance the transformation will go smoothly.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    You wanna know what the mother of all bubbles was? Us. The human race. Scientists call it the Cambrian Explosion, from the Cambrian fauna.
  • MasterMaster Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    stres wrote: »
    You wanna know what the mother of all bubbles was? Us. The human race. Scientists call it the Cambrian Explosion, from the Cambrian fauna.

This is actually the truth. We're using artificial means to support a surplus population that isn't sustainable long-term. Eventually the means will be exhausted and a massive die-off will ensue. Until then, lets enjoy ignorantly.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    Master wrote: »
    This is actually the truth. We're using artificial means to support a surplus population that isn't sustainable long-term. Eventually the means will be exhausted and a massive die-off will ensue. Until then, lets enjoy ignorantly.

It's so far beyond my rationale that more people can't see this; it's blatantly obvious that we are on the brink of fireworks. It's like a house of cards. My mother recently assumed she needed to concern me with her debt figures as I've become more financially involved in this household; I wish she hadn't because I lost a lot of respect for her that day; shit money skills is that dirty little topic that nobody will speak of and victims will justify; like being addicted to cigarettes - no; neither are cool nor honorable and they are equally as dangerous.

Personally; i'm fucked financially, i don't play it up to be dope, I've got to save up to be broke.
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited January 2011
    the US Dollar
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited January 2011
    Folk music.
  • edited January 2011
    Stinky slimy hot bubbles coming out your anus, by which i mean the laxitive market. seriously. invest in laxitives, everyone loves takin a dump - so market this to the people - even the youth market. make a hip hop character based around taking a shit. that is the main objective people.
  • pookapooka New Arrival
    edited January 2011
    China is the next bubble. They are already unable to sustain their target 8% GDP growth, and as a result have to resort to making up numbers to prevent another uprising.
  • AD2011AD2011 Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    I think renewable energy, I mean it's an economists nightmare right? Set up, up and running, pays for itself.

Maybe cars as we know them, it was a bubble that burst in the U.S that was re-inflated artificially (even in terms of economics...where everything is artificial)

Just as likely is the entire retail bubble, a lot of people downgraded Christmas this year, people may opt out of consumerism at this level...if energy prices rise any more people will probably think about buying yet another thing that plugs into the TV as well as the power outlet.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Metal bubble's gonna pop soon. Gold was $35 an ounce in the 70s, now it's $1300. Obvious bubble is obvious.
  • edited January 2011
    Metal bubble's gonna pop soon. Gold was $35 an ounce in the 70s, now it's $1300. Obvious bubble is obvious.

The weed bubble, too.

When this shit becomes legal and freely available, criminal empires will fall.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    So will the entire DEA.
  • edited January 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    So will the entire DEA.

And a good portion of cops. The money just won't be there. Once they can't arrest pot users (And eventually, people will see the logic of decriminalizing all drugs) many police will lose their jobs.. Or they might have to start chasing real criminals. :eek:
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Idk, shit like heroin and meth should still be illegal IMO, they are just too dangerous to legalize. Imagine an 8 year old heroin/meth addict.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Idk, shit like heroin and meth should still be illegal IMO, they are just too dangerous to legalize. Imagine an 8 year old heroin/meth addict.

Boys will be boys :o
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    And a good portion of cops. The money just won't be there. Once they can't arrest pot users (And eventually, people will see the logic of decriminalizing all drugs) many police will lose their jobs.. Or they might have to start chasing real criminals. :eek:

What crime will there really be? As much of a drug advocate as I am, it causes almost all crime. It's not really because of the drugs themselves, but the territory they're sold in.
  • edited January 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    What crime will there really be? As much of a drug advocate as I am, it causes almost all crime. It's not really because of the drugs themselves, but the territory they're sold in.

Not even that, just the fact that criminals control the distribution. Once all of the customers go to legal shops instead of dealers, the criminal underground loses it's bread and butter.
  • edited January 2011

There are child drug addicts, but when was the last time you saw an alcoholic as young?

It's more common to see children addicted to illicit drugs because drug dealers don't ask for I.D., vendors of legal drugs such as alcohol do.

If we decided to regulate marijuana and other drugs instead of prohibiting it, we could have a say in who it gets sold to.
  • lazybumlazybum Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    The next bubble? It will be the same fucking bubble
    Its always stocks and investments
    Look at the patterns people
    Hell it could be the same investments next bubble... like the housing investments
    I kinda know the next one but I will not say, I dont want to get fucked over
    incase anyone actually takes this too seriously
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited March 2011
    Acolyte nos teh economiess but won't sey it :o:o:o