Jurassic Park Found

StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
The lagoon is shallow, a place of ripping currents and vast sand flats, and is so big that the whole of Manhattan could fit inside it - twice.

Lindsay Chong Seng explains that they will eat anything including other dead tortoises, any vegetation they can reach and, intriguingly, a kind of algae which they seem to cultivate by eaving their droppings in tidal pools.

One endemic grass has even evolved so that its flower-spikes turn downwards from the stem so that the reptiles do not eat it while they are grazing.

Aldabra is valued by biologists as an ecosystem dominated by reptiles, something that has not been seen elsewhere since the time of the dinosaurs.

... the two species of land crabs that live on Aldabra, including the coconut crab with a leg span of more than three feet (1m) and weighing up to 10lb (4.5kg).

crab%20on%20tree.jpg

The article reads like an explorers story from natgeo and shows coordinates. ^ coconut crab.

Comments

• blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited January 2011
    wow never knew krabby and blastois were real.:thumbsup:
  • edited January 2011
    Holy crap, THAT's a crab? Really interesting read actually, and that picture was just hilarious. It's cool that there are places in the world which haven't yet been discovered.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    Commence the fucking up of things by humans.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    I wonder what a coconut crab tastes like?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    I wanna visit that place just to fuck a turtle.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011

Like crab.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited January 2011
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The coconut crab is eaten by Southeast Asians and Pacific Islanders and is considered a delicacy and an aphrodisiac, with a taste similar to lobster and crab meat. The most prized parts are the eggs inside the female coconut crab and the fat in the abdomen. Coconut crabs can be cooked like other large crustaceans, by boiling or steaming. Different islands also have a variety of recipes, as for example, coconut crab cooked in coconut milk. While the coconut crab itself is not innately poisonous, it may become so depending on its diet, and cases of coconut crab poisoning have occurred. However, coconut crabs are not a commercially significant species and are usually not sold.
    5char
    edited January 2011
    Now I want one. Crab tastes awesome and thats a huge crab.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited January 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    They may not know it but those day-trippers are paying to keep of visitors and a safe haven for a unique collection of plants and which few people will ever see.

Wonder how secure their method of doing this is. I'm sure You can probably just sail up to the island and dock.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    I remember when I was young my parents took us to a zoo in Tucson, AZ, and they had a couple of Aldabra tortoises there. They looked huge and one woman let me touch one :thumbsup:

...a tortoise, that is.
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited January 2011
    As someone who is scared of most arachnids due to their spider-like shape, that coconut crab made me jump out of my skin :o, although they are kind of cool. Damn huge, that's for sure.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    It's also home to the largest coconut in the world...

Coco-de-Mer-Seychellen-Seychelles.JPG
    edited January 2011
    ^^ That looks like a red haired nigger vagina.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    It's also home to the largest coconut in the world...

Coco-de-Mer-Seychellen-Seychelles.JPG

is the milk and flesh any good?
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited January 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    ^ These words he speaks are true. ^ :(
    Dfg wrote: »
    Like crab.
    A couple cook Island guys I've worked with reckon they taste a bit sweeter than crab due the coconut diet. From the description they gave me they're pretty big but not as big as those MFs :eek:
    One of them was saying his grandmother use to tie him to a coconut tree @ night where they use to husk the coconuts, as punishment for a major fuckup. (during the coconut crab run) He was like 10yo & no shirt on. These things use to climb up him to get the coconuts in the trees. What a bitch.:angry:
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited January 2011
    Thats actually pretty fucked up and brutal. His grandmother sounds like a delightful woman. I would climb up her palm tree just on general principle that she is a badass.