How to build a pipe bomb

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited July 2010 in Man Cave
This is how to build one.

Materials needed

1.Iron Pipe, threaded ends, 1-1/2" to 3" diameter, 3" to 8" long.
2.Two (2) iron pipe caps
3.Explosive or propellant
4.Nonelectric blasting cap (Commercial or military)
5.Fuse cord
6.Hand Drill
7.Pliers

1) Place blasting cap on one end of fuse cord and crimp with pliers.

2) Screw pipe cap to one end of the pipe. Place fuse cord with blasting cap into the opposite end so that the blasting cap is near the center of the pipe.

3) Pour explosive or propellant into pipe a little bit at a time.

4) Drill a hole in the center of the unassembled pipe cap large enough for the fuse cord to pass through.

5) Wipe pipe threads to remove any filler material. Slide the drilled pipe cap over the fuse and screw handtight onto the pipe.

Most good explosives will work well inside it.

Comments

• My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
    edited July 2010
    I like that you're trying to contribute, but this seems more like a bad idea. The pyrotechnic value is really limited to saying "any explosive" and this just boils down to a bare-bones guide on manufacturing a lethal containment.

Sorry, brah. I'm moving it.
  • PsyntheticPsynthetic Regular
    edited July 2010
    It's pretty difficult to drill a hole through those caps. Took me damn near a half hour. And make sure you drill the hole BEFORE you screw the cap onto the finished device. :facepalm:

Explosive - Most typical and easy to obtain would be black powder. FFFFg grade would be the best for this application. If you can't get black powder, you can obtain whistle mix from fireworks. Whistling Pete's and jumbo whistling bottle rockets are the best. Anything that's primary purpose is just to whistle. Just crush the tube with some pliers over a dish and it should come out pretty easily. Whistle mix is white - if anything gray or orange comes out that's clay. Usable powder can be crushed out of Estes model rocket engines as well, but I'm not going to get into that. You should be able to find a guide online. You could also use flash powder, but you'd have to have a massive set of balls to try this. If you do I'd recommend using a lot of Static Guard, and handling the device as little as possible. Assemble it on site directly before using it. Oh and you only need to fill the pipe half way with whatever powder you choose.

I'd also recommend lubricating the pipe threads before screwing on the final cap. I used glue. Any friction could set this thing off... Good bye hand, hello shrapnel in face.

A good rule of thumb... if you can see it, it can kill you. The shrapnel will tear through you like a bullet. You'd best have a MASSIVE fuse on this bitch, get far away, and hide behind something (at the very least a tree).

This should go without saying, but this is NOT something you should be doing in your back yard, or anywhere near civilization for that matter. Doing so risks anyone in the vicinity's life, and is also likely to cause property damage. Use your head!
  • wasjoshwasjosh Regular
    edited July 2010
    Psynthetic wrote: »
    I'd also recommend lubricating the pipe threads before screwing on the final cap. I used glue. Any friction could set this thing off... Good bye hand, hello shrapnel in face.

A good rule of thumb... if you can see it, it can kill you. The shrapnel will tear through you like a bullet. You'd best have a MASSIVE fuse on this bitch, get far away, and hide behind something (at the very least a tree).

This should go without saying, but this is NOT something you should be doing in your back yard, or anywhere near civilization for that matter. Doing so risks anyone in the vicinity's life, and is also likely to cause property damage. Use your head!

PACKAGE EXPLOSIVE POWDER / BLASTING CAP / SHRAPNEL IN SEPARATE BAGGIES Keep them separate, that bitch will still detonate.

^Simple things like this should go without saying. If Siwm is going to attempt to build this pipe bomb, make sure you assembly near a nursery, active playground etc.

Pretty basic guide, I'd recommend a bit more research before attempting to put together OP's bomb.