Uhh...

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited January 2011 in Tech & Games

Comments

• skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited January 2011
    ....WTF!? I am so showing this to my math teacher.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited January 2011
    i know what trolls don't know
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Well no matter how many corners you cut, it'll never be the exact shape of a circle. Even if it is really miniscule, they'll add up to 4 while the actual circle still has a pi value of 3.14.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    If they are so small that the smallest dimensions are at plank length then nothing smaller makes any physical sense, and for that matter is impossible. Since our universe has a minimum distance that means it is actually pixelated, and thus is a raster system. A perfect circle is impossible in a raster system, only in a vector system. That means for all logical purposes, π = 4
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited January 2011
    oh shit, nerd war
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    If they are so small that the smallest dimensions are at plank length then nothing smaller makes any physical sense, and for that matter is impossible. Since our universe has a minimum distance that means it is actually pixelated, and thus is a raster system. A perfect circle is impossible in a raster system, only in a vector system. That means for all logical purposes, π = 4

Math deals with abstract concepts that are beyond the physical realm. You are injecting physical properties into mathematical concepts, but I am talking about pure math. A pixelated figure that resembles a circle at a distance is not a circle, but rather a polygon. Saying that this polygon has a π value of 4 is correct. Saying that the circle it approximates has π = 4 is not.

Also, it's 'Planck,' not 'plank.'
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yep, the concept in theoretical geometry is allowed to reach infinitely small values, so the sum of each little line will equal 4.

A similar case would be pythagoras' theorem. if the hypotenuse was just a whole bunch of perpendicular steps, it would still have the same problem.

Also, good to see some threads in MS again!