Picked up a Saiga 7.62X39

Pile of JewsPile of Jews Regular
edited February 2011 in Man Cave
REAL good deal on it. It is made in the same factory by the same people as the Kalashnikov. High quality and smooth crisp action. My only complaint is that it being an import, they had to ship it over here with a 10 round low-cap mag and a sporter stock, so it is classified as a "Hunting rifle" and not an imported combat rifle. So now I'm on my quest to find different stock sets to make it a good looking AK-47. I want to start exploring my options as far as that goes, handguard rails would be good. It comes with a side-mount rail for a scope, red dot sight, ACOG etc. Any ideas? Hook me up with links and such if you could.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Just convert it to use AK furni. Guides all over the net.

ETA: this one apparently the best: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

From what I hear, handguard conversion is a bear.
  • Pile of JewsPile of Jews Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah you gotta fuck around with the gas tube. Just read about all that, think I'll just go with a basic handguard, theres really no need for any accessories up there, all I want on this gun is a nice ACOG sight. Thanks for the linkage bro
  • edited January 2011
    Honestly, ACOG is overkill on an AK unless you really like the reticle. They're ranged for either 5.56 or 7.62 NATO, and zoom is not needed at AK ranges unless you have particularly bad vision. I'd recommend a Kobra instead.
    edited January 2011
    Could I get a link for that?
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    The Kobra is really the way to go with a Kalishnakov. And believe Fatty is correct with the ACOG, I don't think they've produced one for the 7.62x39. Not to mention the price of the damned thing.

Also, I believe it's not TOO complicated to open the magwell a bit to accept double stack magazines.
  • edited January 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    The Kobra is really the way to go with a Kalishnakov. And believe Fatty is correct with the ACOG, I don't think they've produced one for the 7.62x39. Not to mention the price of the damned thing.

Also, I believe it's not TOO complicated to open the magwell a bit to accept double stack magazines.

I thought Saigas were doublestack but came with a castrated mag? Anyways, opening is trivial, I've done it to some single stack WASRs. Just get a template for a magwell and dremel away.
    edited January 2011
    It can take double stacks made by Pro-mag only, but you can mod it to take standard double stack AK mags
  • edited February 2011
    It can take double stacks made by Pro-mag only, but you can mod it to take standard double stack AK mags

Are those double stack that thin into single stack at the top of the mag? Also, don't worry about 922(r), you'll only get picked up if you're already on the ATF's shit list, and if you're on that list you'll already have far worse charges than a decastrated saiga. The ATF doesn't send agents to ranges to look for parts that aren't stamped Made in the USA.
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I bought one today for kicks, didn't have any hang-ups or anything, but I still prefer the classic steel AK mags because they're more plentiful. I'm not too worried about 922R, besides its just a way to steal from the importers and get people to buy American Product.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, I bought one today for kicks, didn't have any hang-ups or anything, but I still prefer the classic steel AK mags because they're more plentiful. I'm not too worried about 922R, besides its just a way to steal from the importers and get people to buy American Product.

Exactly. I've been looking over my copy of the Bill of Rights for a while now, still haven't stumbled across the phrase "sporting purpose":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    edited February 2011
    If I remember correctly, no one has ever been picked up on 922r. It's usually just an addition to other offenses.

Saiga makes a hell of a kalishnakov. They are very well regarded, and there is a reason people are willing to put the time and money in to converting them. Opening the magwell shouldn't be that hard, but as fatty said- the hardgaurd conversion can be a pain in the asshole.
    edited February 2011
    Actually found a bad ass UTG Quad Rail that fits right over the stock gas tube, on its way in the mail as we speak, bow chika wow wow. I think the only thing I'm real worried about doing on this rifle is pushing the trigger group forward.
  • edited February 2011
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited February 2011
    The newest AK model proposed for the military is basically an AK-74M with rails up the sphincter and a 60-round quad-column magazine, the Chinese can keep their scrappy knockoffs, states Rolf.
    edited February 2011
    I don't see that magazine coming to fruition. The rifle already has rails on it.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited February 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    I don't see that magazine coming to fruition.

The magazine will be omitted from the production model guesses Rolf, they've had a lot of feeding problems with it. Then again, Rolf believes it will be a very long time, if ever, before it's used as Russia's main service rifle.
    acid_drop wrote:
    The rifle already has rails on it.

The so-called AK-200 will use picatinny rails, unlike it's standard-issue predecessors, states Rolf. Now all ex-commies need to do is adopt the NATO cartridges, speak nothing but English or possibly Spanish, accept Western Christianity as the true faith and then kiss the feet of the mighty warlord of the west, states Rolf.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited February 2011
    Ak-200 uses 7.62 NATO...

7.62x39mm is 7.62 Soviet, 7.62x51mm is 7.62 NATO and is very very similar to the .308 Win, states Rolf. Chances are the AK-200 will come in several different calibres (think FN's SCAR), as it's supposed to been developed from suggestions of the various Spetsnaz units, who use both 5.45 and 7.62 cartridges, states Rolf.

Also, it would be illogical for the Russians to go back to the 7.62x39mm and exclude the 5.45x39mm, especially considering how the latter is more modern and better suited to modern combat, states Rolf.

EDIT: Either way, this thread is getting seemingly off topic, Rolf apologizes to OP, FATTY and to acid_drop, Rolf hopes said topic gets back onto original topic. Rolf wishes Rolf could legally own a Saigalash in the current residence of Rolf, states Rolf.
    edited February 2011
    The ruskies wouldn't likely go back to the 7.62 39. Just no benefits. And the 5.45 carves up bodies like crazy.

The rangers are the most recent troop to actually use a battle rifle, in the 7.62NATO SCAR-H. They get wet dreams over it apparently. I never got to fire one. But I hear it's a fucking hell of a rifle.

Then again, we are trained for accurate semi-auto fire. Russians are still trained for automatic fire if they follow the same doctrine as when I was in the shit. Unless the situation called for it, I raged when a kid in my squad would dump a mag in auto. We just were not supplied well enough to allow such waste of ammunition unless you were hooked up with a supply company.