Who hates updating their OS

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited February 2011 in Spurious Generalities
When I was using windows in the last days of XP, I remembered updating & getting bogged down with so much shit it prompted me to move to another OS. That OS I turned to was Linux, be it Arch, Puppy, Fedora, Ubuntu etcblah, etcblah. I eventually chose Ubuntu as my regular OS.
I normally avoid updates unless it's absolutely necessary. Even with Ubuntu I had issues with updates. Something fucking breaks or resets shit after it, or even updates shit I was quite content with, but forgot about.
This morning I decided to upgrade something and thought "Fuck it! I'll update everything while I'm at it" Doh! That was a fucking stupid idea. Now my sounds gone. :facepalm:
To all you OS providers.....FUCK YOU & YOUR UPDATES. :angry:
Now I gotta fix shit again after another fucking shitty assed update. :thumbsdown:

Comments

• LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't might updates as long as they don't force me to restart my goddamn OS, which I end up doing out of old habits where you HAD to restart even if it said you shouldn't because shit never seemed to function right without one. What really pisses me off is that since Windows Vista it FORCES you to restart after so many hours with no "Restart Never" option. That makes the great stability Windows offers for consumers since Windows XP fucking worthless when if you're gone for 4 hours from your PC it will force it to restart. Even the registry hack doesn't solve shit, you have to apply it every time after a restart for that not to happen. Fucking Microsoft, like Steve Jobs, bring Bill Gates back to fix the goddamn company that went to shit when he left.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    I update all the time. I enjoy updating my OS. But nowadays I am careful what I update and install :).
  • edited February 2011
    How's 10.10 brah?
  • timtim Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    Ubuntu is by far the worst Linux distro I have ever used in terms of updates and security. Most times the updates were benign, however sometimes they would completely fuck it up and I would have to revert to an earlier version and then it would update again with no problems. Yeah it is easy to use and a great OS but it tries too hard to bring itself up to Windows' level. So hard in fact that it is starting to take on some of the worse Windows like properties...
  • edited February 2011
    I usually turn updates off after making a fresh install and installing service packs etc. I just settle with a stable system and hope for the best really.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited February 2011
    On Linux, the only distro which never caused me any trouble with updates is Arch linux. Ubuntu, OpenSuse and Gentoo have all three been rendered unuseable by updates on my installations.

On Windows, however, I've had very, very few troubles with updates since moving away from XP. Never going back to that buggy POS. I've used Windows Vista as my main desktop OS for three years, and in those three years I've had only one issue of an update rendering my system unuseable. For the last 6 months I've been using Windows 7, and it has never caused me any trouble with updates. Yes, it sometimes forces you to restart, but that's normal. Where's the sense in security updates if you're gonna keep running another couple days with the old version on which you booted? Even Linux needs restarts after kernel and kernel module updates.

LSA King: Out of curiosity: Why does your computer need to keep running when you're not using it for 4 hours?
    And you could select the "search for updates but ask me to download and install them" and just not install updates which require a restart (is mentioned in the description) when your computer needs to keep running.

So, yeah, I don't mind updating my system. Then agian, I use a legal version of my OS, so nobody's actually trying to kill my system trough updates.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited February 2011
    Amie wrote: »
    LSA King: Out of curiosity: Why does your computer need to keep running when you're not using it for 4 hours?
    And you could select the "search for updates but ask me to download and install them" and just not install updates which require a restart (is mentioned in the description) when your computer needs to keep running.

Piracy. I have auto-download scripts for my server that depend on uptime to some extent at least when I'm not sitting at my desk. Also I'm a staff member on a fairly large private tracker, fucks my logs up and people trying to highlight me for important issues when I randomly get restarted.