I need a cheap gun

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited February 2011 in Man Cave
In a few days I will be getting 200 dollars and I want to use it to buy a new gun. I want to by a pistol. What are some good or at least decent handguns I can get in this price range? I've been looking at a few guns Hi point has put out and most of them are easily in my price range.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Hi Point are amazingly reliable guns. Probably the best in that price range.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited February 2011
    What would you recommend as far as caliber for a first pistol? hi point has them in .45 .4 9mm and .380 and I'm having troubled deciding. I most likely wont be using it for concealed carry anytime soon since it's hard to get a permit in MD.
  • edited February 2011
    What would you recommend as far as caliber for a first pistol? hi point has them in .45 .4 9mm and .380 and I'm having troubled deciding. I most likely wont be using it for concealed carry anytime soon since it's hard to get a permit in MD.
    Go with 9. Hi Point 9 is the same size as HP .380, 9 is more powerful and less expensive. Hi Point 40 and 45 are big hulking bricks of a handgun.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited February 2011
    Stay away from .45 if you're concerned about cost. I can't shoot my 1911 as much as I would like, simply due to the cost of ammo. I always use ball ammo, but it's still not cheap.

The 9 is about the best all around. Cheap as dirt. Pushes, like the .45 instead of snap like the .40 and .38. TOOOnnnnsss of guns available in it. Etc.

Or you cold get an old Combloc pistol. Markarov or Takarov. Good little pistols, cheap, and ammo is cheap too. You just won't find the ammo at wally world. But who cares when you can buy a crate of ammo for as much as commercial .45. :P
    edited February 2011
    spazz wrote: »
    Yea i had a friend that had a Hi-point 9mm and he loved it. it was severly beat up from carrying it everyday. I fired a magazine from it and if seemed nice.

fixt :o
    edited February 2011
    I just got back from the gun store. i got a high point but they didn't have any 9mm so i got the .40 caliber. now I just have to wait for the waiting period to end. This is a pic of the same kind I got
    21946cee53695177885077da280fc386.jpg
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited February 2011
    I just got back from the gun store. i got a high point but they didn't have any 9mm so i got the .40 caliber.

Should of gone to a different gun store, states Rolf. Either way, good purchase, Rolf hopes that thou shalt never need to use it in a self-defense situation.
  • edited February 2011
    I just got back from the gun store. i got a high point but they didn't have any 9mm so i got the .40 caliber. now I just have to wait for the waiting period to end. This is a pic of the same kind I got
    21946cee53695177885077da280fc386.jpg
    lol you got the vomit green edition there chief?
    edited February 2011
    yeah mine is also vomit green and I agree the color isn't the greatest but the gun seemed pretty good for the price.
    edited February 2011
    Meh. Never been a fan of the .40. Never thought it did anything exceptionally well for the recoil trade off.

Sure it can drop some one, but so can nearly anything over a .22 . Preference is yours; I hope you can stand shooting a box of ammo through it. I never could with a .40. I have a bit of hatred for the cartridge. :P
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited February 2011
    Used to have a polymer based 9mm like the high point posted. Ruger, iirc. Total piece of shit. Sights were awful. Even if you had it sighted in, within a clip, it was off again. Felt far too light weight for my preferences. Recoil became an issue.

I'm a fairly experience shooter, mind you. I'm sure there are far better models out there, and had I put a little work into the pistol, it would've been decent. Regardless, that one just left a really bad taste in my mouth for that manufacturing style.

Hope that works out for you, DS. What did you end up paying for it?
  • edited February 2011
    Today I went to a gun store on a whim and asked how much for a C9
    The counterbitch said $200
    with a straight fucking face.
    :mad:
    I would have bought it for $150 or so too.
    edited February 2011
    I finally got to pick it up today. I just got back from the gun store:hai:
    edited February 2011
    I shot a few rounds from it today and the recoil is not nearly as bad as some people claim it is. The accuracy was pretty good and I'm impressed with it so far. Sure it isn't anything close to a Glock but for the price it isn't a bad fire arm from what I've seen so far. The ammo costs a lot but I got a free box 50 rounds for it so I'm ok for now. The only thing I don't like is the magazine. It just feels cheap as shit but other than that I like it.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited February 2011
    Good to hear!

The nice thing about guns like that is you can usually find replacement mags fairly easily.

Try Cheaper Than Dirt, Shotgunner Magazine, and any other internet resources you can find.
  • edited February 2011
    The mags are the reason hi points have reputations as jam-o-matics. Stick to factory mags and keep the feed lips in pristine condition.